New Engine Patches uses twice as much CPU/GPU yet causes insane micro stutter and lag

"
Durojin wrote:
Clear the cache in user/appdata/roaming/path of exile/shadercachevulkan it will rebuild the cache after you play a while. You may get shader spikes at first but it will compile new files and help smooth out gameplay. You can also adjust your shader cache in nvidia control panel to a bigger size than default. Use Vulkan if possible it does smooth out spikes.

If on steam browse local files by right clicking the POE in library. Right click on PathOfExile_x64Steam.exe and create desktop shortcut. Launch from here to make sure it is running 64bit.

The biggest microstutter fix is running the game in a Window. Both windowfull and fullscreen seem to have this stutter but windowed improves the gameplay alot. D2R had this problem at launch and it works on poe.

Thanks for the tip I already did that. It went better when I used steam client, but Shader is always at 100% with 10 gb vram available.... Now I have map that crashed the client after I cleared it. Crashes everytime I go in there again, have to leave all loot in there.

Guess I have spent more time to try to fix the issue than actually playing this league.

Will there be any response soon GGG?
Last edited by dulyn on Sep 14, 2023, 1:40:53 PM
After having massive issues with CPU and GPU usage which basically COOKED my laptop, I was able to fix the issue, games runs smooth as butter again without any issues. Not sure what exactly fixed it, but here is what I did:

1. Downgrade to NVIDIA Driver 531.79
2. Cap FPS at max 60 (Max Frame rate in NVIDIA settings in Windows)
3. Delete all ShaderCache Files (Steam\steamapps\shadercache)
4. POE Settings:
- Mode: Window Fullscreen
- Resolution: 1920x1080
- Renderer: DirectX12
- VSync: Fast
- Trippe Buffering: Enabled
- Lighting: Shadows (NO GI)
- Dynamic Culling: Enabled
- Dynamic Resolution: Enabled
5. Use PathOfExile_x64Steam file to open POE
6. Steam Parameters: --waitforpreload

Hope that helps some of you. Good luck
Last edited by Supp0rtguy on Sep 21, 2023, 1:11:26 PM
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/fjw702/nvidia_users_disable_those_2_for_a_huge/

Try this fix
"
https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/fjw702/nvidia_users_disable_those_2_for_a_huge/

HUGE PERFORMANCE BOOST!
Love those Reddit posts
On Probation Any%
Unfortunately didn't work for me
What might cause abnormal stuttering (CPU going from 10 ms to 200 constantly) when I have multithreading enabled? Without it the game is smooth and stable, but for obvious reasons you can't map like that. What might cause this? Cores unparked, C-states disabled, everything was smooth before the league.
"
Inscaped wrote:
What might cause abnormal stuttering (CPU going from 10 ms to 200 constantly) when I have multithreading enabled? Without it the game is smooth and stable, but for obvious reasons you can't map like that. What might cause this? Cores unparked, C-states disabled, everything was smooth before the league.

The problem is that the game only sees as far as the CPU but not what's happening behind it. When the game needs the GPU to do something (render a frame, whatever), it doesn't talk to the GPU directly. It tells the CPU to tell the GPU to render the frame. Then the GPU tells the CPU to tell the game whatever the result is. And this whole cycle would be "the latency" i.e. the time it takes from submitting the request to receiving the response all the way up and down this chain.

If the GPU takes its time, for whatever reason, the CPU has to wait for the GPU, and the game has to wait for the CPU, and so on.
So, from the game's perspective, it's always the CPU that's being slow because it's kind of a broker for all the operations, when in fact it could be any number of things.
Last edited by GregoryAdams on Sep 24, 2023, 3:05:08 PM
"
GregoryAdams wrote:
"
Inscaped wrote:

The problem is that the game only sees as far as the CPU but not what's happening behind it. When the game needs the GPU to do something (render a frame, whatever), it doesn't talk to the GPU directly. It tells the CPU to tell the GPU to render the frame. Then the GPU tells the CPU to tell the game whatever the result is. And this whole cycle would be "the latency" i.e. the time it takes from submitting the request to receiving the response all the way up and down this chain.

If the GPU takes its time, for whatever reason, the CPU has to wait for the GPU, and the game has to wait for the CPU, and so on.
So, from the game's perspective, it's always the CPU that's being slow because it's kind of a broker for all the operations, when in fact it could be any number of things.
Thank you for detailed response. Weird thing is when I disable multithreading game still utilizes all of the cores, but overall CPU usage is something like 40% on average and up to 80-90% in intense scenes while GPU load is around 70%. With multithreading on I have the same amount of threads, but CPU usage goes up to 40-50% (edit: nope, it stays the same as w/o mt), GPU sits at 60-70% and the game stutters like hell. So pretty much the same. That seems strange, but my knowledge is limited. Without MT game is so smooth it's insane.
Last edited by Inscaped on Sep 24, 2023, 5:05:58 PM
"
Inscaped wrote:

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/165nkla/how_i_fixed_cpu_stuttering_on_the_latest_patch/
Last edited by JasonHudson on Sep 24, 2023, 7:45:28 PM
literally 90% of the playerbase has issues yet they refuse to reverse it lol GG, GGG Clap Clap Hooray Hooray

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info