Diablo Immortal is POE killer

Blizzard still leading the bandwagon of what game companies shouldn't do. The only decent thing they released this past decade is Diablo 2 resurrected.
"

well diablo immortal ain't gonna be no poe killer over in belgium and the netherlands. theyre banned from even playing the game because of illegal predatory monetization and gambling practices.

theyre not necessarilly completely blocked out. they gotta use nordvpn on mobile and jump through a bunch of hoops just to get it to work. but then theres always the chance that the dutch government tries to block nord vpn like they have with many smaller vpns as well

https://www.reviewsfire.com/vpn/how-to-play-diablo-immortal-in-the-netherlands/

Remember when the gaming industry hot shots kept yapping about how loot boxes are not gambling? Well, that e-mail basically admitted that it's gambling.

Fucking hell people; gamers need to wake the fuck up. This is getting ridiculous.
"
Exiles sure are addicted to going out of their way to remind the world how superior they are to other gamers. The silent part out loud: you're still here posting about a different game that is apparently so far beneath you instead of playing the game that's supposedly so much better.

I might have missed something but I see a comparison between the games, mainly focused on the monetization.

Can I play PoE and also post on the PoE forum regarding my thoughts on DI without being seen as someone who goes out of their way to boast superiority over other gamers?

For example that the IGN review version had all microtransactions disabled, I think to keep it out of the review. More free work from me for GGG, I guess.

I always find your posts quite sensible and a good read, above quote comes a bit out of the blue. I guess somewhere I understand.
Did you try turning it off and on again?
"
kaepae wrote:
"
Exiles sure are addicted to going out of their way to remind the world how superior they are to other gamers. The silent part out loud: you're still here posting about a different game that is apparently so far beneath you instead of playing the game that's supposedly so much better.

I might have missed something but I see a comparison between the games, mainly focused on the monetization.

Can I play PoE and also post on the PoE forum regarding my thoughts on DI without being seen as someone who goes out of their way to boast superiority over other gamers?

For example that the IGN review version had all microtransactions disabled, I think to keep it out of the review. More free work from me for GGG, I guess.

I always find your posts quite sensible and a good read, above quote comes a bit out of the blue. I guess somewhere I understand.

I am definitely skewing a wee bit defensive here because I did get to play it in a closed beta and I was absolutely surprised at how good it was even then compared to the debacle of its announcement and the fact that I was pretty sure it was just a low-effort reskin of an existing NetEase Diablo clone. I found myself effortlessly getting up to level 30-35 in DI as all the classes (which is very rare for me with an ARPG, especially one on mobile) and that's when I realised, wow, I'm genuinely enjoying this game. I am happy to admit when I am wrong, and in the case of DI I was really wrong. I just sat through the credits of the game trying to spot some voice actors (they were right at the end...) and believe me, literally thousands of people worked on DI. As far as mobile games go, it's anything but low effort.

That doesn't mean it's not predatory AF with the mtxes -- at this point, that's a given and I think people need to either accept that or move on. Anything else is a waste of time.

And yeah, I noticed some of the reviews had mtxes disabled. That's not surprising: usually when people review a GAAS, it's more about those first 10-20 hours during which mtxes aren't really an issue. Streamers and more in-depth reviewers will happily take the monetisation of DI to task I believe. But as I noted above, it's sort of futile at this point. Blizzard might tone the GRift down, but even then it'll probably still be well within their scope as insanely profitable. As with what GGG did with 3.18, better to release something contentious you can tone down than something that could have been worse but the players already accept.

At any rate, I guess I just want Exiles, being also for the most part big fans of the Diablo franchise overall, to give it a chance on its own merits, looking past the gruesome mtx model baked into its endgame. But since a lot of Exiles are also coded into seeing endgame as the only game (thanks GGG) I can understand the scorn and scepticism. But for those that actually cared about Diablo 2's story and lore and characters, DI has a fair bit of nostalgia to offer, and it does so very early on and absolutely, truly for free.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
I am definitely skewing ~~ rest of good post

Faith restored :-) if that was your experience through beta, I feel I might miss out not trying it.

Though honestly, I'll probably not get around killing the skelly king and then being prompted to pay for the loot box. Or that there was facial recognition software detected in the DI build.

But I do like Diablo. Oh yes I know I do. In fact, had Blizzard properly expanded D3 (would be like ... 8+ expansions by now or smth) chances are I could still have been playing it. So some stuff happened at that company I'm sure plenty of players are aware of. All in all I feel they have to really score a big Diablo hit (The D4 intro with Lillith is freaking sweet to me).

Thanks for the perspective,

Cheerio

Did you try turning it off and on again?
If you dont play PVP, then who cares how PTW the rest of the game is if it is fun to you?

Although it is not a good sign that they design for free players.

Still probably worth a shot at some point.
POE Killer?

don't think so. there was a lot of Games called with Titles like that.
Grim Dawn, Wolcen and what not...

The only thing what can kill Poe is GGG itself.
Was a bit worried about those Mystery Boxes in POE, never bougth one of them.
Good they changed it to that you cant get copys of the same MTX anymore.
Still wont buying them.

i dont have a Problem with Companies ''earning'' Money, they have to.
But this is just Ridicioulus. In General its gotten worse in the gaming Industry,
over the Years. I've tried Immortal for 1/2 hour and uninstalled, was going to try it on PC aswell but no thx.

Playing D2 and POE Since its Release and i must say we can ony hope that GGG won't become like this. Ziz is Right. Blizzard should be ashamed. People seem to dont have a problem with this P2W stuff? anymore?

At what Time we got there? idk but this has to Stop. Those Games like Immortal
are Banned for a Reason.
Repeat after me:

"I expected too much of something I knew how it was going to be.. because mobile games are p2w/gacha games and always will be. It was my fault to think that DI on pc was going to be different but in my hype to find something different than the same abuse I deal with this company here I created something false that in reality never was there.."

It's your fault to be so naive to think that mobile games are f2p it's free to download at best.
Everytime there's a monetization thread on this community suddenly nobody remembers the lootboxes they sell here and the PREMIUM PRICE microtransactions.

Ever.
"Parade your victories, hide your defeats. Mortals are so insecure."

Once you break the cycle of fear no angels or demons can whisper you their sweet nothing words.

Retired since crucible.(Not a free tester anymore for a multi billion dollar company).
Except there seems to be a bit of a misconception here, but I could be wrong, as I'm only seeing this from my very limited experience of DI so far, and what I have been seeing on Stream so take the following with a grain of salt, but as opposed to pretty much everyone who cry too much about P2W, I actually decided to keep playing, up to lvl 39 so far, as the game has been enjoyable so far.

And let me tell you, as P2W people were saying this game is (and it might be quite a bit), I have not yet spent 1 cent on the game yet, and my character is far from gimp and does not seem needed to pay to progress through the campaign easily. In fact, if something, the game might be a bit too easy as I think I only died once so far. So for the campaign, you can definitely play for free. At least up to where I'm at.

As for the end-game, I've been watching 3-4 streams of people all claiming to be #1 on the leaderboard right now, and one of them saying they even got the best item on the server, and they all have spent pretty much $0 money or $0 on the game so far.

They are all #1, they have some of the best items, if not the best items. So how P2W is the game really? Sure, it might be possible to "P2W", and I probably don't encourage that type of model like pretty much seemingly everyone, but keep in mind, people are paying to win in POE as well on these RTM sites, and how much of it is actually affecting the game?

It was the same in D2 back then. People were buying items off of ebay all day long, and I could spot them from a miles away, we used to call them "ebays", but the thing is, even if they spent $100s, I was still managing to having more wealth than them, and completely demolishing them in PVP as well.

Seems like actual game knowledge, and play time invested on the game trumps "paying 2 win". At least in some games. Not sure yet if DI will be one. But so far, it appears to me to be. We'll see how long the game lasts as well, but IMO I might be seeing a massive amount of over or mis-reaction to this. I might change my word once I reach the truly end-game.

On a side-note, I was about go back to playing POE for a bit just now, then I checked how much trading I would have to do just to get started again (1-2 hours of trading just to sell off my stash tabs, then another hour to buy the gear that I need), then time to roll my maps and buy the mats, and the massive amount of micro-management, that I'm tempted to just go back to playing DI a bit more instead.

IMO they're starting to be at the point where they really need to consider fixing the trading issues in this game, and I think that the crap I heard about apparently them saying that making trading too easy would make people quit early, is probably massive garbage.

If something, it's probably actually preventing people from playing the game more, just as I'm about to not do right now (play the game) due to the massive amount of trading I'd have to do just to resume mapping again.
Last edited by DeepAlchemist on Jun 4, 2022, 1:13:01 AM
"

I am definitely skewing a wee bit defensive here because I did get to play it in a closed beta and I was absolutely surprised at how good it was even then compared to the debacle of its announcement and the fact that I was pretty sure it was just a low-effort reskin of an existing NetEase Diablo clone. I found myself effortlessly getting up to level 30-35 in DI as all the classes (which is very rare for me with an ARPG, especially one on mobile) and that's when I realised, wow, I'm genuinely enjoying this game. I am happy to admit when I am wrong, and in the case of DI I was really wrong. I just sat through the credits of the game trying to spot some voice actors (they were right at the end...) and believe me, literally thousands of people worked on DI. As far as mobile games go, it's anything but low effort.

That doesn't mean it's not predatory AF with the mtxes -- at this point, that's a given and I think people need to either accept that or move on. Anything else is a waste of time.

And yeah, I noticed some of the reviews had mtxes disabled. That's not surprising: usually when people review a GAAS, it's more about those first 10-20 hours during which mtxes aren't really an issue. Streamers and more in-depth reviewers will happily take the monetisation of DI to task I believe. But as I noted above, it's sort of futile at this point. Blizzard might tone the GRift down, but even then it'll probably still be well within their scope as insanely profitable. As with what GGG did with 3.18, better to release something contentious you can tone down than something that could have been worse but the players already accept.

At any rate, I guess I just want Exiles, being also for the most part big fans of the Diablo franchise overall, to give it a chance on its own merits, looking past the gruesome mtx model baked into its endgame. But since a lot of Exiles are also coded into seeing endgame as the only game (thanks GGG) I can understand the scorn and scepticism. But for those that actually cared about Diablo 2's story and lore and characters, DI has a fair bit of nostalgia to offer, and it does so very early on and absolutely, truly for free.

I watched Asmongold play it for a bit yesterday, and it doesn't look like it takes 20 hours to start to see any monetization. It takes roughly one to two hours, just what you'd expect for a p2w/gacha type game.

Give Diablo Immortal a chance? I've play Gacha-like games before, and playing the Diablo franchise with a heavy spin on the monetization definitely doesn't appeal me one second. Why would I validate Blizzard attempt to turn all their franchises into a p2w bs? At this point I'm just happy Microsoft moved to buy the company and I can't wait to see what comes next. I hope it'll be better for their fanbase because the Diablo franchise did definitely reach the lowest point a AAA game franchise can reach.

"
But since a lot of Exiles are also coded into seeing endgame as the only game (thanks GGG)

Thanks GGG? Playing/reaching the endgame of any game was a thing long before PoE.

Last edited by Silverpelt on Jun 4, 2022, 3:58:32 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info