Diablo Immortal is POE killer

"
Chadwixx wrote:
"

Is it making money? Sure, a little.

But it'd be making a LOT more

51 million in its first month. Would you use "a lot more" on a financial report without an estimate of "more"?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_mobile_games

Sort by release date (most recent), divide as necessary to get a monthly revenue, knock yourself out. UmaMusu is particularly interesting, given it made most of that in Japan and not China since it taps three things Japan really loves: mobile games, horse racing, and waifus. Genshin's doing a lot better of course, but while it's a mobile game at heart it also performs well enough to pass as a PC or console game with its Zelda-like trappings.

NetEase's other recent game, a Harry Potter affair, is pulling $22m or so a month: nothing on DI so far, but again, decent for a hasbeen franchise with a somewhat disgraced progenitor.

Also take note that on that list, very few are true ARPGS: the only big performer there is of course Genshin (pulling roughly $150m a month), which is not exactly what Diablo fans would call an ARPG. Second top ARPG is unsurprisingly the forerunner to Genshin, Honkai Impact. Then, much further down the list, the troubled Dragalia Lost. So it's not as if traditional ARPGs are considered huge earners in the mobile market -- Blizzard were clearly trying to change that by teaming up with one of their most aggressive imitators on mobile (Endless of God) and implementing a monetisation model few gamers would consider anything less than ruthless and exploitative.

I'm willing to bet $51m for the first month of a game aimed straight at Chinese wallets is somewhat below what they projected. And I do believe its current delay in China is due at least in part to the completely predictable backlash it received in the West.

That and we have to assume that the $51m is a release spike. While mobile gaming tends to be more consistent in its revenue pulling, it usually follows a pattern of spikes based on the release of new characters to roll for -- something absent from Diablo Immortal, which has taken a more 'get them hooked on the loop and paying to sustain it' approach.

Could be wrong though. And knowing China, lord knows if we'll ever find out the truth. All I know is any delay to DI's release in China is a huge blow to NetEase and to Blizzard right now.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 8, 2022, 12:28:43 PM
"
All I know is any delay to DI's release in China is a huge blow to NetEase and to Blizzard right now.

You mean the millions of dollars they could be making on the top of the millions of dollars they are already making?

Erm... no.
nice to see poe killer where you need spend 300k$ and still not get the best stuff that game is not possible to play as free to play user that game is not even possible to play if you not gonna spent in it atleast 50k$ real money
Last edited by Gopstop22 on Jul 9, 2022, 5:49:40 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info