Diablo Immortal is POE killer

"
Xystre wrote:
Curious how the same names are going for the forums only targetting blizzard on their agenda while there's always barely anything ever said regarding the lootboxes here..

Yes, I will continue to bring this on. On every. single. monetization. thread.

I don't like hypocrites.

Nobody is holier than thou, not in this life.

You can bring it as much as you want, but cosmetic lootboxes ==/== p2w unlike the things that DI offers to buy for cash. Apples and oranges.
Last edited by esostaks on Jun 6, 2022, 7:09:57 AM
"
esostaks wrote:

You can bring it as much as you want, but cosmetic lootboxes ==/== p2w unlike the things that DI offers to buy for cash. Apples and oranges.

"It's just cosmetics" argument is fundamentally flawed. The psychology about cheating where cheating for cosmetics is acceptable. If microtransactions are developer/publisher in-game cheats, there shouldn't be any. The psychological horror-thriller movie where everyone who pay for it will defend vigorously it isn't cheating, they are lead into believing buying cosmetics is supporting the game. Can you delete your cosmetics to prove your intention isn't married with impurities?
Last edited by awesome999 on Jun 6, 2022, 8:01:15 AM
"
awesome999 wrote:
"
esostaks wrote:

"It's just cosmetics" argument is fundamentally flawed. The psychology about cheating where cheating for cosmetics is acceptable. If microtransactions are developer/publisher in-game cheats, there shouldn't be any. The psychological horror-thriller movie where everyone who pay for it will defend vigorously it isn't cheating, they are lead into believing buying cosmetics is supporting the game. Can you delete your cosmetics to prove your intention isn't married with impurities?

Please tell me how in hell buying a cosmetic that give literally no advantage other than look "cool" is any ways related to cheating?

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/cheat

https://www.thefreedictionary.com/cheating

Also, account with 0 characters? Why don't you man up and post with your real account?
"
awesome999 wrote:
"
esostaks wrote:

How in the hell are cosmetics related to cheating? 'It's just cosmetics' is a perfectly fine argument because it's exactly that - cosmetics. They are completely optional and have no impact on gameplay.

Cosmetics are the most ethical microtransaction. You know even f2p games are not charities, right? What other forms of monetization between cosmetics and p2w features do you propose for a developer to get paid for their honest work? Voluntary donations maybe?

I would be fine getting rid of f2p games completely and paying one time purchase price or even a monthly subscription for a solid game like Path of Exile, but not everyone can afford it and have the big bucks. For them, f2p games like Path of Exile with ethical monetization model is truly a blessings.
"
Xystre wrote:
Curious how the same names are going for the forums only targetting blizzard on their agenda while there's always barely anything ever said regarding the lootboxes here..

Yes, I will continue to bring this on. On every. single. monetization. thread.

I don't like hypocrites.

Nobody is holier than thou, not in this life.

Yep and some GGG supporters don’t know or have forgotten that GGG is majority owned by Tencent. Tencent is the owner/developer of some big mobile games like Clash Royale, Clash of Clans and Call of Duty: Mobile. Clash Royale and Clash of Clans are PTW. I don’t know how PTW Call of Duty is but it has more loot boxes than Diablo Immortal. Every dollar you give to "ethical" GGG mostly benefits a PTW mobile game maker, lol.

Call of Duty: Mobile was developed by Tencent and published by Activision. As of February 2022, the game has generated over $1.5 billion globally in revenue from in-game spending and microtransactions. $1.5 billion? I think that makes Tencent and Activision good ole butt buddies.

Yes, Diablo Immortal is the mobilest mobile game to ever mobile. The PTW is so extreme and obnoxious. I mean DI has 3 battle passes so you can layer them. WTF.

However, I think Tencent will pay close attention to this DI experiment. If DI makes crazy money? Well…

8 mod maps are the new alch and go.
Me being sick just by looking at D:I has nothing to do with it being P2W.

What makes me sick, is how microtransactions are built into the core gameplay loop of the game. There's always "more". There's always another thing to buy. There's always a button you can press to give you more power, more loot, better loot, better odds and so on. Loot becomes worse and worse, and when you're entering the end, the only practical way of progressing, is paying.

And were microtransactions a part of the review version of the game provided to the media? No, it wasn't. Why? Well, there may be several reasons for that; them knowing this is a cashgrab disguised as a game is one of those reasons. They KNEW this was over the top.

I don't mind games having a HUGE library of microtransactions. I do mind P2W, but I understand that A LOT of players actually do want it. What I hate, is when you more or less HAVE to pay, and you are reminded to pay every so often, just to initiate the FOMO feeling every so often. And where D:I really fucks up, is taking advantage of the "bad feeling" of being "unlucky" after a boss kill/rift run, buy suggesting you buy for more loot. Which SHOULD make to ask: "Was I really unlucky here, or is drop rates directly tied to the cash shop"?

The gameplay itself should be completely cut off from the cash shop. PoE fails on three occasions, be that the small text in a chatbox you can make as small as you want, lootboxes (even though it's just cosmetics) and a small icon on your atlas passive tree. But would I be here, if GGG prompted me to buy a loot pack/chest after being disappointed over the Kitava loot? Hah, no.

I LOVE the explosion in media regarding D:I. The industry needs it, and more countries should follow in Belgium and The Netherlands footsteps. Parents screaming out over "violent games" should stop. They should be screaming out over psychological abusive design. That's the REAL danger.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on Jun 6, 2022, 10:14:41 AM
"
esostaks wrote:

How in the hell are cosmetics related to cheating? 'It's just cosmetics' is a perfectly fine argument because it's exactly that - cosmetics. They are completely optional and have no impact on gameplay.

Cosmetics are the most ethical microtransaction. You know even f2p games are not charities, right? What other forms of monetization between cosmetics and p2w features do you propose for a developer to get paid for their honest work? Voluntary donations maybe?

I would be fine getting rid of f2p games completely and paying one time purchase price or even a monthly subscription for a solid game like Path of Exile, but not everyone can afford it and have the big bucks. For them, f2p games like Path of Exile with ethical monetization model is truly a blessings.

It is like people saying how people say look in real life isn't important. Except it is, even in people's virtual life. Otherwise it wouldn't be such great business selling vanity items and cosmetics. It is big business.
"
awesome999 wrote:

It is like people saying how people say look in real life isn't important. Except it is, even in people's virtual life. Otherwise it wouldn't be such great business selling vanity items and cosmetics. It is big business.

And what is your point again? I still don't understand how cosmetics are cheating or bad for the game? They are completely optional. Some people like them, some don't. It's an extremely ethical way of monetizing your game. It makes both groups happy - those who hate p2w and those who like virtual shiny dresses and are ready to pay big bucks for them to support the game and the devs. Everyone wins.
"
awesome999 wrote:

That's quite a spin you gave to buying cosmetics that don't give any mechanical advantage in game and are meant to support the development of the game. This isn't Second life or the sims, cosmetics here are meant to support the development of a free to play game. Without them, there's no PoE as we all know it. It would be another type of monetization, like p2w or subscription based. You'd complain that a subscription is cheating too?

Instead of posting here with a fake/side account, why not go ramble about cosmetics on the forums of the two irl sim games I mentioned?

Last edited by Silverpelt on Jun 6, 2022, 10:58:21 AM
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Jun 6, 2022, 6:32:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info