The Plague that is GGG's "Trade" system. & the Predatory dance feeding its lowkey P2W mechanism.

Omg this post makes me cringe so hard, stop whining ffs trade is ok, it's not great but it's fine.
GGG has responded many times to players complaining about that and even made a manifesto on the subject, they want items to have weight, and honestly the game has changed so much and gotten so many QoL improvements these last years, good on them to stay true to their roots.
"
Okult wrote:
Omg this post makes me cringe so hard, stop whining ffs trade is ok, it's not great but it's fine.
GGG has responded many times to players complaining about that and even made a manifesto on the subject, they want items to have weight, and honestly the game has changed so much and gotten so many QoL improvements these last years, good on them to stay true to their roots.

Well, let me copy paste GGG roots:

Path of Exile is an online Action RPG set in the dark fantasy world of Wraeclast. It is designed around a strong online item economy, deep character customisation, competitive PvP and ladder races. The game is completely free and will never be "pay to win".

So some roots are more important than others Huh. I didn`t saw they staying true to their roots when they tied the premium stashes with the trade API. Much less i see a lot of impetus on their part for removing it if they don`t like it.

Premmium stashes description is "Add an extra premium tab to your shared stash. Premium tabs can have their name and colour changed whenever you want. " So it`s not like people can ask for a refund since they got what was described.

"
Mortyx wrote:
"
Nidal wrote:
No you cant fix those flaws, you pick your poison.

the current system hinges on being time consuming and inconvenient to limit our trades. although i disagree with frustrating, my trades are pretty smooth. in retur we can have a free market, and our current droprates, wich are pretty good for a game where items stay in circulation. You might not find you item but you find valuable items every so often that you can trade to get yours

Here is they key to this discussion, we are talking about trade-offs here, so i ask you, what us (players who want to play the game and not the market) are gaining from this bargain? , what's the advantage of a completely free market for players that don't play the market and just want to exchange their "apples" for "oranges".

He just answered that in the freakin' thread your quoting.

Again; good job.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
Mortyx wrote:
"
Nidal wrote:
No you cant fix those flaws, you pick your poison.

the current system hinges on being time consuming and inconvenient to limit our trades. although i disagree with frustrating, my trades are pretty smooth. in retur we can have a free market, and our current droprates, wich are pretty good for a game where items stay in circulation. You might not find you item but you find valuable items every so often that you can trade to get yours

Here is they key to this discussion, we are talking about trade-offs here, so i ask you, what us (players who want to play the game and not the market) are gaining from this bargain? , what's the advantage of a completely free market for players that don't play the market and just want to exchange their "apples" for "oranges".

He just answered that in the freakin' thread your quoting.

Again; good job.

So the final answer is: we have a droprate that allows me to drop apples, but if i need oranges i have to trade my apples for the oranges utilizing a purposely time consuming and inconvenient system.

I feel like i was scammed in this trade-off if that`s the final answer lol.

Let`s pretend an AH is introduced and it indeed doubles the number of apples and oranges in the game for some reason. So GGG reduces the drop rate of apples and oranges by half to compensate that.

In the end me as a player who only wants to trade apples for oranges will still get the same relative amount of apples and oranges as previously, but now i am not losing my time nor being frustrated from time to time.

If this is false, then there is no reason to reduce the drop rates at all...

Of course if that`s true that would impact SSF droprates, but the solution is something GGG should already have changed for years now, which is giving SSF it`s own drop table(removing migrating). Since SSF players still appear in towns, it`s not like that split in playerbase would hit GGG finances by a huge margin.
"
Mortyx wrote:
Of course if that`s true that would impact SSF droprates

Again with the 'black or white' arguments. I've already asked you to stop ignoring arguments as you seem fit, it makes you look ignorant. If 'ignorant' is what you're trying to do, keep at it. You have this "trade all the way" or "SSF" mentality. Stop it. GGG can't make a league for all 100 steps of the scale. There has to be room for everyone within the same ecosystem. You keep viewing it from your own, narrow perspective. FAR from everyone plays like you. Some don't trade at all, but want to party up. Some trade a small amount. Some trade a lot. Some only trade. Shall I keep going?

Don't open this spoiler. I hid it inside a spoiler because I get triggered by narrow minded views. Open at your own risk.

Spoiler
No, "based around an economy" does not mean "you are supposed to trade for everything". No, trade is not required. Yes, everything in this game is doable without trading. Yes, the in-game progression and drop rates feel "OK" even if you don't hit the market every time you feel under-geared. Yes it's a good thing that some content is scarce, even with trade.

Yes, every single game in the history of this genre, has made trade limited - one way or the other. You probably think every game in the history of this genre has got it wrong, because of - you guessed it - your narrow mind. Your idea of an automated auctionhouse is FAR better than all of those ideas because of reasons.

SSF got their own league based on pressure from the community, wanting their own LADDER for bragging rights - and GGG was pretty clear, and have always been pretty clear: No league will ever be more rewarding in terms of drops than the main league.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
tl;dr
My biggest issue is currency trading. How about an AH that only allows you to trade currency? Would solve the trading bots problem at least and will not impact the item economy at all.
***deep breaths**
"
girng wrote:
"
jdilly23 wrote:
Business attempts to make money, profound.

They didn't make a life-saving vaccine and charge sick people for it.

They made a video game for people to enjoy recreationally and monetized it. This shouldn't make you upset or drive you to write up some big rant on how you're the victim of predatory tactics. This shouldn't even be a conversation. It is totally expected and acceptable for them to make some money.

Well said.

Sorry it took me a while to respond - I'd gone out on a 5 day vacay.
Getting back into the discussion -

No.
Not well said at all.
That is just a poor attempt to reduce the whole practice as "JuSt bUsInEsS" and "iT's NoT a ChArItY". The dude clearly has never made a distinction between "good business practice" and "bad business practice". And since these are things that exist within our objective universe, there are objective answers to each "business practice's ethics". Despite people's limited, subjective preferences.

Dude went to the extent to project some emotion on me lmao. Just because I bring up a problem, must mean "I AM RANTING" or "I AM UPSET", and no way I could just be spending some of my free time taking a deeper look at the whole thing. Nice scarecrow!!
This person seems to use no metrics to assess pros or cons of GGG's monetization system saying "it's all just business" (mostly because they personally do not care), but will have personal issues IRL, where businesses that this person interacts with, end up milking every single penny out of them. But on a forum, all that can be concealed, and the whole argument called off as "its just a business broh just chill yeeee".

Dude literally made 0 effort to argue against the P2W aspect of their 'monetization' lol.

"
Kurnis wrote:
ITT: people who think AH and vaccines are terrible because that one guy on YouTube said so.

But for real...People hate the idea of AH for one reason only: they will stop being able to manipulate it to their advantage at the cost of others.

That is the ONLY reason.

GGG doesn’t care that the scammers and the scalpers are rich as long as the cash keeps a’flowin

Yeah brah, it sadly seems to be that way.

Their whole "we're super duper hard on people who engage in RMT" public image is just a facade. Their "enforcement" has done nothing to curb this behavior. They couldn't give less fricks about people spending their money on rmt, because if someone is willing to throw good money on buying currency which can be farmed -albeit illegally- they are definitely the kind of person who can be made to throw an even larger amount of money on the "MTX" shop. In both, the P2W and the Non-P2W departments. And they definitely don't seem like the kind of organization that wants to lose out on any income source.

Yeah and there's definitely some people on THIS thread as well, who're just veiling their actual agenda of making sure the current system stays as broken as it is. Because this is the trade-state they have gotten good at exploiting for their own benefit (even if it's at the cost of poisoning the whole economy). And a single tweak/improvement could throw off their whole get-rich-quick go-to strategy. So they have the biggest interest in making sure things remain the way they are.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info