The Plague that is GGG's "Trade" system. & the Predatory dance feeding its lowkey P2W mechanism.

"
MECHanokl wrote:

The only thing you could farm for in D3 was gold? Well excuse me, but it sounds EXACTLY like my PoE experience, where I essentially grind for currency to buy what I want, kind of like gold, and this is what wast majority of players f*cking do all the time, this is why basic currency flippers are so rich. In the entirety of my PoE gameplay I dropped exactly 2 (!!!) unique items that were more expensive than a couple of chaos orbs on the market. Even f*cking shaper runs were a net loss, because I would gain more by selling sets for currency rather than expecting a good drop.

^ The reason you don't drop valuable items will be because of your playstyle limitations, you can fund any character easily by the sweat of your own brow but the prices are dictated more than anything by the demand for the item not the supply.

this is especially the case in SC because so much content can be brute forced and there are so many players that anything that isn't extremely popular becomes very cheap very quickly. Conversely the few items that are in high demand can fetch very high prices despite being much more common than 1c T1 uniques.

HC has the same problem but supply is much more constricted and the in demand items are usually different overall but realistically the same problem just with different rules.

The PoE trade system at its core is very simple, my build needs oranges, but I drop fruit. The chances of me getting an orange is very low however I can trade my apple for an orange with someone with the same problem.

MMOs are generally not like this they restrict loot so you effectively can't trade anything. You require oranges but all that drops is oranges so they instead restrict the supply of oranges. Their trading is for consumables and irrelevant tat.
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Mar 9, 2020, 8:00:12 AM
"
Miská wrote:

If you don't even understand the difference between an ARPG and an MMORPG how is anyone ever gonna explain more advanced stuff to you? Like basic 101 economics supply/demand. So I will withdraw from responding to you. You aint looking for a discussion, you are blind in your own little bubble. I'm glad Chris is smarter then that.

And this is a good thing, because this discussion would go nowhere. But hey, I would applaud you if you could actually explain to me in which f*cking parallel dimension is gearing and loot in MMO's less imporant than in a three month reset arpg.

And Chris is a guy notorious for saying that "we would rather have it that you could kind of have the TV on while you are playing" (link: https://youtu.be/LqNiSsp5Lq0?t=117) and having a dude as a shareholder who used to run PoE rmt business... Chris worked really hard and had a great vision to get the game to where it is now, but he is not some infallible god whose decisions and actions are never wrong.
"
MECHanokl wrote:
"
Miská wrote:

You can't compare PoE to an MMO like WoW, in most MMO items on the high end have other ways of limiting them (BOA,BOP etc) and these games are not focused on loot and character development like an ARPG is. Your comparing apples with donkeys.

Also your D3 comment is another complete fail. The AH and the current game have nothing in common. What the AH did in D3 was that farming was pointless. The only thing you could do in D3 was farm gold. And even that was slow. There was no gearing up at all because all GG gear was to expensive and to rare. You want PoE to turn into that?

Yep, just as I predicted, a bunch of weak defences to avoid implementation of a basic convenience feature that is of incredibly high demand (hence why there are so many trade bots) and which proved to work perfectly in other, grindier and more gear reliant games.

I can and I will compare PoE to MMOs, because both rely on gear to progress and do endgame. Every single MMO I have ever played required gear, just like PoE, and usually had even more ridiculous grind and RNG requirements, and some also had gear based PvP. They were ABSOLUTELY focused around character and gear progression and loot and yet it didn't stop basic trade automation to work and not break anything.

The only thing you could farm for in D3 was gold? Well excuse me, but it sounds EXACTLY like my PoE experience, where I essentially grind for currency to buy what I want, kind of like gold, and this is what wast majority of players f*cking do all the time, this is why basic currency flippers are so rich. In the entirety of my PoE gameplay I dropped exactly 2 (!!!) unique items that were more expensive than a couple of chaos orbs on the market. Even f*cking shaper runs were a net loss, because I would gain more by selling sets for currency rather than expecting a good drop. 99.9% of all my gear was bought and farmed for in terms of currency (aka gold)... And I agree, this IS a failure of a system, the difference is that you are, for some weird reason, trying to pretend that PoE is not like that as well. PoE is like that already.

If youve read previous posts, its been mentioned several times that an AH can work if you put trade/item limitions instead (bop, boe). youre simply in favour of this. No game have successfully implemented an AH without restrictions however. that goes for mmos as well if you want to make that comparison but in reality, you dont get your gear on the market, you raid for it and it drops BoE. main thing on their market is crafted gear and materials, and theyre behind pretty big time/material gates to have value

lots of us much rather have a free market where you can buy, use and resell items as you please and thats why our opinions differ

we also have different experiences when it comes to drops, im a regular casual, usually play every other league and try to get 24 challenges done and try out league mechanics. dont know how to craft. and usually find a few items worth an exalt or more in a league
"
Draegnarrr wrote:

MMOs are generally not like this they restrict loot so you effectively can't trade anything. You require oranges but all that drops is oranges so they instead restrict the supply of oranges. Their trading is for consumables and irrelevant tat.

You know, even in MMOs that had bind on equip gear, trading was still very active, with people running end-game dungeons and raids and selling top gear on the auction house... Kind of like you can do in PoE with Shaper/Uber Atziri/Awakener runs (if you have some luck). And in an MMO, the difference between having the right gear and not having it is the difference between getting absolutely no chance rekt in a dungeon or doing it barely/easily. There were no such things as "budget builds" in all MMOs I have played, and you couldn't really push endgame on crap gear as much as you can in PoE, so gear in MMOs was even MORE of a big deal and roadblock than in PoE to progress anywhere... Yet they had player shops/auctions houses. Many MMOs also had active market for various gear improvement items (also a must have for progression).
BoE gear is dead, they don't put valuable loot in the form of BoEs. Tbh trading and crafting in MMOs was killed by WoW and the competitions obsession with cloning it, some allow a lite version of one or the other but the glory days are long gone.

You have to think about it like this, assuming you were a competent raider of course if you never touch the AH in WoW and you trade with no players you'll lose about 5% of your character effectiveness (or 0 if you actually craft yourself but we'll stick with the 5)

If you don't trade in PoE you lose like 50%, now SSF players are extremely good at minimizing that down to a much easier to stomach number but for those of us on trade league if you didn't trade you'd never have access to anything that's actually that good.

I'm not gonna touch people buying raid tier gear via a carry as I find them morally repugnant as an older MMO player :p its just RMT of another form.
"
MECHanokl wrote:
"
Draegnarrr wrote:

You know, even in MMOs that had bind on equip gear, trading was still very active, with people running end-game dungeons and raids and selling top gear on the auction house... Kind of like you can do in PoE with Shaper/Uber Atziri/Awakener runs (if you have some luck). And in an MMO, the difference between having the right gear and not having it is the difference between getting absolutely no chance rekt in a dungeon or doing it barely/easily. There were no such things as "budget builds" in all MMOs I have played, and you couldn't really push endgame on crap gear as much as you can in PoE, so gear in MMOs was even MORE of a big deal and roadblock than in PoE to progress anywhere... Yet they had player shops/auctions houses. Many MMOs also had active market for various gear improvement items (also a must have for progression).

Now youre arguing things that have been adressed several times. You can maintain an economy with an AH if you put trade/item restrictions in place, wich is exactly what many of us dont want at all. an BoE item is basically a one time use and then worthless (no value since cant be sold) and gone from the economy, not the case in PoE and you might be in favor for this but once again, alot of us just like the free market in PoE. you can buy, use and resell, everything have some kind of value

but that being said, cant think of any MMO ive geared up for end game on the auction house except for an odd niche item here and there
Being here since 2012 yet zero supporter packs but wanna complain about trade?
"
MECHanokl wrote:
The only thing you could farm for in D3 was gold? Well excuse me, but it sounds EXACTLY like my PoE experience

Try playing leagues then, where you don't compare every drop to mirrored standard items. In a permanent environment, the devalue of play time/farming is inevitable.

Even though that's YOUR experience, there are plenty of us picking up loot, finding upgrades, finding stuff to sell and so on. YOUR experience isn't the blueprint here. And as D3 was an example of, the easier trade is, the more required it gets - both directly and indirectly. GGG have even said so themselves.

Ignoring that? Totally OK for you, because you are totally OK with buying every item on your character. Hell, you HAVE to, because you've been farming in the same ecosystem for years. The game isn't centered, balanced or tuned around standard. But, for all I know, you have 34 alt accounts you play league with.

ANYHOW, ignoring it would destroy the game for everyon NOT being OK with buying everything all the time. No, an automated AH won't destroy the game, but it will - directly and indirectly - "destroy" it for a lot of players.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
ITT: people who think AH and vaccines are terrible because that one guy on YouTube said so.

But for real...People hate the idea of AH for one reason only: they will stop being able to manipulate it to their advantage at the cost of others.

That is the ONLY reason.

GGG doesn’t care that the scammers and the scalpers are rich as long as the cash keeps a’flowin
"
Nidal wrote:
No you cant fix those flaws, you pick your poison.

the current system hinges on being time consuming and inconvenient to limit our trades. although i disagree with frustrating, my trades are pretty smooth. in retur we can have a free market, and our current droprates, wich are pretty good for a game where items stay in circulation. You might not find you item but you find valuable items every so often that you can trade to get yours

Here is they key to this discussion, we are talking about trade-offs here, so i ask you, what us (players who want to play the game and not the market) are gaining from this bargain? , what's the advantage of a completely free market for players that don't play the market and just want to exchange their "apples" for "oranges".

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info