Block Nerf?

Tbh i did hear Chris say in one of the videos a fea months back that they were thinking of changing block but he did practically scream "DON'T THINK NERF".
Though if it's not going to be a full on nerf it really needs to be a change in the way it works which could take longer to implement...so you may not even have anything done to block yet.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Block is not a problem, nor is it overpowered. I get the feeling none of you/very few of you complaining have ever even used it. It takes the majority of your skill investment to even get to 75% block chance; and you sacrifice a lot in order to get a decent amount of spell block on top of that.

At level 80, with maximum resists, 75% block chance, 50% spell block, 5k+ hp, even with a solid 1her you will likely not breach 10k dps -with- an aura unless you have a 6 link; even then not by much... And will still frequently find yourself one hit down to half hitpoints or below; yes with flasks and decent armor. I speak from experience, even on level 70ish rare maps there are difficulties to this build.

Aegis aurora is not a good representation of the majority of block builds. If you think it's overpowered, complain about the item, not block itself.
"
Torinator wrote:
Block is not a problem, nor is it overpowered. I get the feeling none of you/very few of you complaining have ever even used it. It takes the majority of your skill investment to even get to 75% block chance; and you sacrifice a lot in order to get a decent amount of spell block on top of that.

At level 80, with maximum resists, 75% block chance, 50% spell block, 5k+ hp, even with a solid 1her you will likely not breach 10k dps -with- an aura unless you have a 6 link; even then not by much... And will still frequently find yourself one hit down to half hitpoints or below; yes with flasks and decent armor. I speak from experience, even on level 70ish rare maps there are difficulties to this build.

Aegis aurora is not a good representation of the majority of block builds. If you think it's overpowered, complain about the item, not block itself.

group play mostly negates the need for dps so you end up with an immortal build which is something ggg never intended.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
Calling something immortal doesn't make it immortal. Blockers die all the time, simply saying they don't doesn't mean you are correct.

You have no statistics other than "lol block OP", and are simply riding on the backs of others that are complaining about the same thing. Roll a blocker, do high level maps, tell me how OP you feel when you die a few times.
"
Torinator wrote:
Calling something immortal doesn't make it immortal. Blockers die all the time, simply saying they don't doesn't mean you are correct.

You have no statistics other than "lol block OP", and are simply riding on the backs of others that are complaining about the same thing. Roll a blocker, do high level maps, tell me how OP you feel when you die a few times.

immortal is a relative term. you can still die but your chances of dying are astronomically less than a non block build.

I wouldn't roll a high blocker because its an incredibly dull way to play the game. most people who got to 100 with block and or aegis builds will tell you it was a boring experience but they didnt get there any faster than a high dps build because of the party aspect.
Point is, aegis is the problem, not block. Start a new thread on that, or post in one of the 1210291 threads existing about it already.

Yes it guarantee's a bit more survivability; but you sacrifice a ton of damage. That is the whole point, and why it's good for hardcore characters.

Bringing up group play multiple times does not signal a problem with block, but with group play mechanics. Again, you are complaining about the wrong thing.
"
Torinator wrote:
Point is, aegis is the problem, not block. Start a new thread on that, or post in one of the 1210291 threads existing about it already.

Yes it guarantee's a bit more survivability; but you sacrifice a ton of damage. That is the whole point, and why it's good for hardcore characters.

Bringing up group play multiple times does not signal a problem with block, but with group play mechanics. Again, you are complaining about the wrong thing.

Aegis is a well balanced item without 75% block and non aegis block builds can still reach insane survivability.

The elegant solution would be to nerf max block down to 45-50% and leave aegis alone.
If by elegant you mean uneducated, then sure.

Survivability at a cost, that is a theme in this game. There are drawbacks to block, just like there are drawbacks to going 2 handers. Simply because you see people dying less than you doesn't make it overpowered or requiring of a nerf.

Basically your only arguments are:

A.) Aegis aurora makes block OP at 75%, which is an aegis problem.
B.) Block OP because group play makes up for your horrible damage, which is a group issue.
C.) Block OP because it makes you survivable, which is the point of taking block above damage.

None of these are an issue with Block. Problem A can be solved by fixing the way Aegis reacts to block. Problem B comes up with more than just block builds, and has absolutely nothing to do with block. Problem C isn't a problem, it's another type of defense, and does not guarantee surviving. GGG has issues with builds that prevent you from dying, which block does not. Continuing to argue that block is overpowered because block is overpowered is about the extent of this debate. GGG will not nerf block, though they might change the internal mechanics a bit.

Anyway, if you can come up with other reasons block is OP, I'd be legitimately surprised. Honestly, I think the other defenses need a bit of a buff, rather than nerfing the only decent one to the ground.
Last edited by Torinator on Mar 1, 2014, 2:57:30 PM
"
GGG will not nerf block, though they might change the internal mechanics a bit.

Your devotion is amusing. I guess we will see in about 3 days.
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
Torinator wrote:

Aegis is a well balanced item without 75% block and non aegis block builds can still reach insane survivability.

The elegant solution would be to nerf max block down to 45-50% and leave aegis alone.

ur naive and mysteriously sound stupid...u dont nerf a whole mechanic down to shit just because one item makes a person immortal...
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
Last edited by leighferon on Mar 1, 2014, 3:27:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info