Block Nerf?

I'm going to be so pissed if block is nerfed because of Aegis. Solo play is already hard enough, you need block when you are the only target enemies are going for.
"
leighferon wrote:
"
Nephalim wrote:
"
Torinator wrote:
Point is, aegis is the problem, not block. Start a new thread on that, or post in one of the 1210291 threads existing about it already.

Yes it guarantee's a bit more survivability; but you sacrifice a ton of damage. That is the whole point, and why it's good for hardcore characters.

Bringing up group play multiple times does not signal a problem with block, but with group play mechanics. Again, you are complaining about the wrong thing.

Aegis is a well balanced item without 75% block and non aegis block builds can still reach insane survivability.

The elegant solution would be to nerf max block down to 45-50% and leave aegis alone.

ur naive and mysteriously sound stupid...u dont nerf a whole mechanic down to shit just because one item makes a person immortal...

its hard to respond to an insult followed by a statement that completely ignores the point of discussion. Aegis is not inherently OP, 75% blocking is.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
LOL

Some player make 100K damage with 10% life leech. And GGG will nerf the block, which will hit the low budget player.

=> epic fail

If you play one hand physical the shield is the only thing which makes this kind of character strong. You do not have a weapon which can have 6 link. You have low damage if you play with one hand weappon. Even with this shield mechanic, you can never kill high end bosses like Map-Vaal, because if you don't block it, he kills you one hit. If the shield get nerfed for this kind of player, one hand physical shield build is unplayable.

All spell and high damage builds will get even more OP.

I have a one hand physical block build. I play since beta, and have a lot of orbs. I will just change my build to evasion or high damage. All poor player will stop playing (this build) in HC if block gets nerfed.

Last edited by DeltaWing on Mar 1, 2014, 4:06:23 PM
Block needs to be nerfed it's a unrealistic mechanic.

If I throw a toothpick at you, you block with your shield, no damage taken. Makes perfect sense.

If I throw a bus at you with help of Hulk and you block it, you would be crushed. Major damage taken.

Instead, in PoE, a toothpick and a bus both hit for nothing. Dumb.

I don't like diablo 3 but one thing they got right is block. Good shields have high block and high block amount i.e. 3-5K damage not infinite.

Block in PoE is evasion by another name.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Mar 1, 2014, 3:44:53 PM
"
DeltaWing wrote:
LOL

Some player make 100K damage with 10% life leech. And GGG will nerf the block, which will hit the low budget player.

=> epic fail

yes...its really sad. ppl expect ggg to nerf a mechanic because 1 item trivializes gameplay.
[quote="Mark_GGG"]damage modifiers don't can currently can't apply to degen.[/quote]
"Getting all life nods on passive tree should give additional survival, not the mandatory basic survival."
.\1.2/
..\3/
[img]http://ertaislament.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/pentavus.jpg[/img]
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Block needs to be nerfed it's a unrealistic mechanic.

Please do tell me how to summon a succubus.
Oblivious
"
Nephalim wrote:
its hard to respond to an insult followed by a statement that completely ignores the point of discussion. Aegis is not inherently OP, 75% blocking is.

So 75% block is OP? Lets make a comparison. With max block you would still get hit one out of every 4 attacks. Now with an evasion character you can have 55%-60% Evade + 40% Dodge + 30% Spell Dodge + using Blind and you will amost never be hit. Yet players sill say evasion is worse than armor because eventually you will still take a hit. So how is block op when you still take 25% of the hits? And getting max block takes more investment than all that evade I compared it against.
The only good way to nerf block is to either put an Internal Global Cooldown between blocks or Decrease the chance to block if you ask me.

When the RNG to roll a block is too good, it becomes very clear what builds become superior endgame. Thats one of the major reasons you hardly anyone playing a 2H endgame, because theyre weak and cant mitigate anywhere near enough damage as a shield block character. Ive actually seen certain builds that can clear as well as some 2H builds as 1H+Shield (and of course taking hardly any hits that a 2H player would take) which literally makes zero sense.

Block should have to be supplemented with a decent amount of armor or evasion, you shouldnt be be able to rely on the 75% roll doing all the work for you, you can avoid being stunned and hit inbetween blocks with Unwavering Stance.

Putting an Internal Global Cooldown between blocks would force the player to use a decent amount of armor and evasion, however this change would become a complete non-issue when playing in parties because of Aura Bots.

Which leaves me to think nerfing the max chance to block down is the only way. Block mitigates ALL the damage on hit from the spell or attack which is a pretty big deal when you look at endgame or even boss farming. Being able to have a 75% chance to block 100% of the damage done is blatantly too good.

But yeah, how to change block is a rough choice especially in terms of how it will effect solo play especially. It going to be another Aura change disaster when it comes to solo play.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Mar 1, 2014, 4:20:25 PM
Afaik, there is no indication block will be nerfed in this upcoming patch.

Also, block "seems" op because its one of the easiest of POE's mechanics to understand and capitalize upon. It is far from the only mechanic that can be manipulated to be very powerful though. A good example is evasion with acrobatics. You can get essentially the same effect with that combo, but people often say that its underpowered.

All nerfing block will do is hurt players who dont understand the game as well yet, while not bothering any of the players with a deeper understanding of the game and are manipulating other aspects of it.
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Mar 1, 2014, 4:21:10 PM
NO matter what GGG does, players will always find another build with unique items and or certain rare stats that will make them outstanding player. This cause those newly used unique items and rare stats to rise in price, and then those unique item and stats will be in another round of nerfs at the end of the next 4 months.

They just keep going after the flavor of the month... and it will never end.
Last edited by IamtheAxeMan on Mar 1, 2014, 4:38:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info