Block Nerf?

i think it would be more like in diablo 3 or ff11. shields have a block amount and a block chance.
so it depends on the shield how much you can block. let it be 500 damage. so hits for lower then 500 wouldnt harm you, but large hits can heavily hurt you.

imagine you have a paper shield, when people throw cotton at you, you can easily block the hits, but when hulk throws a car at you and you block the car, it still might kill you.

in my opinion it would make shields more versatile.
"
Throgar wrote:
i think it would be more like in diablo 3 or ff11. shields have a block amount and a block chance.
so it depends on the shield how much you can block. let it be 500 damage. so hits for lower then 500 wouldnt harm you, but large hits can heavily hurt you.

imagine you have a paper shield, when people throw cotton at you, you can easily block the hits, but when hulk throws a car at you and you block the car, it still might kill you.

so the big hits that can one shot you without block will one shot you on block as well? no thanks
LLD BOTW spark/arc caster guide http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1133731
"
andkamen wrote:
"
Throgar wrote:

so the big hits that can one shot you without block will one shot you on block as well? no thanks

Kinda what i thought. Block chance always seemed a bit high to me after playing Median XL. So i just guess we wait and see what GGG does with the mechanic.
I have a question, how many of you people play high level maps as non-block, non-evade true melee* in hardcore?

*By true melee I am referring to skills like Double Strike, Infernal blow, heavy strike and so on...

The way true melee* works in POE, as in when you are targeting specific targets, one finds himself on many occasions hitting air during the initial hits. During this critical moment no leech/high damage in life will save you from the oncoming onslaught.
"
"
andkamen wrote:
"
Throgar wrote:

Kinda what i thought. Block chance always seemed a bit high to me after playing Median XL. So i just guess we wait and see what GGG does with the mechanic.
Maybe if that its factored to the base dmg of a monster(before any %) it could be an alternative
"
mraistlin wrote:
"
"
andkamen wrote:

Maybe if that its factored to the base dmg of a monster(before any %) it could be an alternative

Being 1 shot just has to happen so players know they're way out of their league but if that happens with regular content like with Dominus and stuff like Devourers and so on its just bad.

Im sure GGG does their best to balance everything but auras and cwdt are still out of whack. We will see.
"
iseefresh wrote:
I have a question, how many of you people play high level maps as non-block, non-evade true melee* in hardcore?

*By true melee I am referring to skills like Double Strike, Infernal blow, heavy strike and so on...

The way true melee* works in POE, as in when you are targeting specific targets, one finds himself on many occasions hitting air during the initial hits. During this critical moment no leech/high damage in life will save you from the oncoming onslaught.
if you are using multistrike with any of those, lime most are, use key to attack in place, your first attack could miss with desynch but your 2nd 3rd are have auto-target
"
tinko92 wrote:

"
Disrupted wrote:
Dunno how Aegis Aurora performs by experience since I've never had one, but it does indeed look like a very strong item, but also one that isnt Amazingly OP without great item and node investment.
If they decide to nerf it, then so be it. Im sad that I didnt got one but hey, cant have it all.

I keep reading this, but every block build requires great item and node investment, and yet they are all shit compared to an Aegis build.

Even if an item requires 400 ex of investment to be immortal to 99%+ of the content, that shouldn't be possible in the first place.

I guess it has to do with the nature of the shield and ES, the fact that blocking with that item pumps up another part of your defense seems amazing, also it encorages you to craft best +armour and + ES gear you can which by themselves give you great survivability
Would require great gear yeah... Dunno if I agree to what you last said... After a monstrous point of spending wealth one should feel rewarded, maybe we could drop that 99% to 80% or something, I guess.
As I have never done a Aegis Aurora build and didnt do the math as to when it becomes worth using (how much nodes and armour and ES from gear you need to have), the amount of nerf (if needed) should be decided by GGG and a mechanic should not be nerfed because of a single item. (even if it gets better because of other items that help in a mechanic used by the item)
Oblivious
"
Skyforth wrote:
Reducing the chance to block makes block unreliable.

only 100% block is reliable
"
andkamen wrote:
"
Throgar wrote:

its just examples.
there could be shields with higher block value. and then there is also still armor.
and blocking is overrated. its just a matter of balancing also. and mabye they will also add enhanced blockvalue on the path?
Last edited by Throgar on Mar 1, 2014, 12:08:34 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info