UNABLE TO CONNECT TO INSTANCE

So, good news, everyone!

I've found a consistent workaround to bypass this issue. It's just a little frustrating at first to get it going. The challenge is getting past the error the first time.

I've been able to log in to the game each day now by doing the following steps:

- Launch PoE
- Change Gateway > Login > Select Character > Get the error
- Quit PoE

Repeat 10 to 20 times.

It's super annoying but somewhere between 10 to 20 times you'll finally get in. But once you get in, here's how to avoid the error.

When you're done playing for the day DO NOT LOGOUT OR EXIT.

It appears that when you quit or logout the proper way this causes the bug.

What you need to do instead is;

- Press CMD+Option+ESC (This will bring up the Force Quit menu.)
- Force Quit PoE

If you force quit the game, the next time you go to log in, it will log in with no issues.

I've been able to consistently login today without any problems now that I've been force quitting the game.

Hopefully this help until GGG comes up with a proper fix.

"
Kaldrax wrote:
"
Laeortia wrote:

The suggestion to change your language on the main screen, and then changing it when in game back to your native language DID work (obviously, if you are French, change to a different language IF you, too, are having problems - I would suggest NOT English)

I appreciate you putting all the steps you've tried together to help narrow down if we've found a possible workaround.

I've tried the language swap and it hasn't work. (Open PoE (English) > Choose Russian > Close PoE > Open PoE (Russian) > Log In > Select Character > Unable to connect to instance.)

Last night I was able to get in after I opened my local files, deleted the client, verified the files, and then launched, but this morning those steps aren't working now.

At this point it just seems like its a crapshoot of trying different things and it just so happens that something on GGG's end resets that makes it look like something we've done has fixed it.

My suggestions for anyone is to just keep trying at it, after tinkering for an hour each time I have been able tp get back in eventually, just try and keep your game open for as long as you can as logging out will then send you back to the shadow realm.

EDIT - Shortly after posting this I was able to get in, I switched my gateway from Washington to Texas. This was also in conjuction with me using a VPN and changing my location a couple of times.

Again those steps are antitodal probably, but I would suggest to those trying to get in to just keep tinkering and you'll probably get in eventually.

Annnnnd I'm back to not being able to log in today, language change did nothing, and now I'm hard crashing so switching back to English won't take.

NEAT!

EDIT: Something I'm noticing is that the ping times are only sometimes showing when I go to select a gateway. Maybe there's something that's causing Mac clients to not properly be connecting with their servers?

EDIT 2: I've been testing this for over 20 relaunches and any time I can't see any pings, I 100% can't connect from the first screen. I only get to the character selection screen when I can see pings, and so far haven't been able to get into the game yet. It's not consistently when I see pings that I can get to the character select screen, however.

I don't know why a lack of being able to see pings would prevent me swapping back to English from taking hold?

EDIT 3: When I do get to the char select screen, I am seeing several of my standard characters' portraits faded out

EDIT 4: Finally in. Got to the char select screen with no portraits faded, on my usual gateway (California) but I'm still stuck in French. Guess I'll be using google translate if there's something I absolutely need to read, I sure ain't logging out now!

Yesterday when I switched to English, it switched to English. Today? There's a pop up conformation that you need to restart your game for the language switch to take hold. At least for me, not sure if everyone else is seeing this if they changed their language. (see also: Edit 2 where I state I was unable to swap back to English)

EDIT 5: This is actually part of this problem, I think - yesterday I noticed NO global chat (I'm in SSF chat despite being a filthy trade leaguer), and after exiting to the character screent and logging back in, it did show. No one had seen me typing anything, so it wasn't just that I couldn't see it, it was that they also couldn't see me.
Today? Same issue, I don't see any global chat, nor trade or local chat. Waiting for a friend to log in and see if he can send me any tells

Anyway, for future troubleshooters who are still fighting the good fight, pay attention to what you see at certain steps (ping, portraits faded), and report back if you have the time, I'm curious as to whether I have figured out a symptom of the issue at hand.

I would suggest not changing your language unless you're bi-lingual, since the client seems incapable of saving your language state between launches while this bug persists.
I want to rock right meow
Last edited by Laeortia on Jul 29, 2024, 3:10:14 PM
"
Kaldrax wrote:
So, good news, everyone!

I've found a consistent workaround to bypass this issue. It's just a little frustrating at first to get it going. The challenge is getting past the error the first time.

- Launch PoE
- Quit PoE

Repeat 10 to 20 times.

It's super annoying but somewhere between 10 to 20 times you'll finally get in. But once you get in, here's how to avoid the error.

- Force Quit PoE

If you force quit the game, the next time you go to log in, it will log in with no issues.

I've been able to consistently login today without any problems now that I've been force quitting the game.

And after the prior post of mine, I did try your CMD+Option+ESC, and not only did it manage to save my language as English but I also got immediately back in on my usual CA gateway
I want to rock right meow
"
Laeortia wrote:
"
Kaldrax wrote:
So, good news, everyone!

- Launch PoE
- Quit PoE

Repeat 10 to 20 times.

- Force Quit PoE

And after the prior post of mine, I did try your CMD+Option+ESC, and not only did it manage to save my language as English but I also got immediately back in on my usual CA gateway

Nice!

Glad it was able to get you back to your usual settings. Hopefully we wont need to do this workaround for too much longer.
M1 MacBook Pro, also having the same issue. Usually quitting and resetting 4-5 times gets me in. Glad it's not just me.
Why isn't this issue on the known issue list? Or, the <gasp>high priority</gasp> shortlist?
This is awful, I have not even been able to login this morning. I frankly can't even believe that the mac client passed qa this go around for this league, or that any regression testing happened at all.
"
Laeortia wrote:

Annnnnd I'm back to not being able to log in today, language change did nothing, and now I'm hard crashing so switching back to English won't take.

NEAT!

EDIT: Something I'm noticing is that the ping times are only sometimes showing when I go to select a gateway. Maybe there's something that's causing Mac clients to not properly be connecting with their servers?

EDIT 2: I've been testing this for over 20 relaunches and any time I can't see any pings, I 100% can't connect from the first screen. I only get to the character selection screen when I can see pings, and so far haven't been able to get into the game yet. It's not consistently when I see pings that I can get to the character select screen, however.

I don't know why a lack of being able to see pings would prevent me swapping back to English from taking hold?

EDIT 3: When I do get to the char select screen, I am seeing several of my standard characters' portraits faded out

EDIT 4: Finally in. Got to the char select screen with no portraits faded, on my usual gateway (California) but I'm still stuck in French. Guess I'll be using google translate if there's something I absolutely need to read, I sure ain't logging out now!

Yesterday when I switched to English, it switched to English. Today? There's a pop up conformation that you need to restart your game for the language switch to take hold. At least for me, not sure if everyone else is seeing this if they changed their language. (see also: Edit 2 where I state I was unable to swap back to English)

EDIT 5: This is actually part of this problem, I think - yesterday I noticed NO global chat (I'm in SSF chat despite being a filthy trade leaguer), and after exiting to the character screent and logging back in, it did show. No one had seen me typing anything, so it wasn't just that I couldn't see it, it was that they also couldn't see me.
Today? Same issue, I don't see any global chat, nor trade or local chat. Waiting for a friend to log in and see if he can send me any tells

Anyway, for future troubleshooters who are still fighting the good fight, pay attention to what you see at certain steps (ping, portraits faded), and report back if you have the time, I'm curious as to whether I have figured out a symptom of the issue at hand.

I would suggest not changing your language unless you're bi-lingual, since the client seems incapable of saving your language state between launches while this bug persists.

Yeah, I am definitely seeing what you specified, Templar, Shadow, and Marauder are looking like they are faded out like they are chilling in another dimension.

Previously switching to lockstep would at least allow me to login, but today nothing seems to work, I just can't get in. I regret buying the supporter pack for this league, given how little support/acknowledgement the mac client issues have been receiving. I understand we are a huge minority of their playerbase, but it still sucks.

EDIT: okay, on the 19th retry when I was going to grab a screenshot of the blurred loading screen it finally let me in. I guess uhh... current solution is wait 2 minutes and try again? Or just brute force it?
Last edited by The_Lobster on Jul 30, 2024, 7:51:28 AM
Same here on M1 Max MBP.

I've also noticed that Engine Multithreading was disabled on this update with no way to turn it back on, can anyone else on Mac confirm if that's the case too?
"
NogSkywalker wrote:
Same here on M1 Max MBP.

I've also noticed that Engine Multithreading was disabled on this update with no way to turn it back on, can anyone else on Mac confirm if that's the case too?

I can confirm that this is the case for me too. I tried switching it the other day when someone else mentioned it but even if you change other setting while trying to enable multithreading it switches back to disabled.

On another note it's now day 5 of this "Unable to connect to instance" issue persisting for Mac OS. Please GGG can you at least acknowledge this issue!

When I finished yesterday I was too tired and forgot to force quit my client and now have to brute force my way back in again.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info