UNABLE TO CONNECT TO INSTANCE

This workaround is not doing it for me. Its just unplayable on my end. Im seriously over with this. 5 days!!!!
"
Laeortia wrote:
Guys, there's a workaround in this thread.

For y'all who don't want to look, here are the steps:

1) Open game. Open gateways menu. If you see ms for all of them, proceed to 2. If you do not, exit game and start again at 1.
2) Pick your gateway and log in. If you get booted, exit the game and start at 1. If not, proceed to 3. I recommend picking a gateway that is not your usual one, but try anyway. I haven't verified whether it will or won't connect to your usual one on the first go, I just automatically pick something in Europe. I don't mind the extra 80 ms unless I've got major rubber banding. If you're an HC player, I obviously don't recommend doing this.
3) Log in. If the class chars are blurry, exit and begin at 1. But, if the class chars are all normal resolution, pick your league char (or standard, I'm not judging!) and hit play. If your game crashes, begin again at 1. If you get in, grats, you've beaten the Mac Boss!
(If you try to load your char, you will get a hard crash anyway. Any changes you made to your language will not be saved, and neither will the gateway you selected, this is normal, don't worry.)

3a) When your game time is over for the day (if you leave your computer on all the time) or you're just doing something else and plan to come back, hit Option (or Alt), Command, Esc (Escape) to bring up the force quit menu. Force quit PoE's client. This should save your steps. I keep forgetting this so I have to do this over again, but this workaround works consistently so it's not a huge problem. I have not tested force quitting from Activity Monitor itself because at that point I'm just lazy and I'll do it the way I know for sure works. So far in my experience, anyway.

A note about language swapping: Sometimes changing your language seems to help, but that might just be a coincidence.
I've had the problems persist times I've selected a different language, so it's probably just anecdotal from those of us who've gotten in after changing the language on the first try. I did have that happen once, but not again any other time I've switched languages.
I don't swap anymore since I've figured out the steps with the help of another poster here who was troubleshooting along with me, alongside previous posts with people who'd been able to get in after doing x thing or y thing, and I tested those things myself to ensure the steps to get into the game are correct :) It's a step I don't take because it's not a guarantee.

Anyway, hope this helps people who haven't seen the prior posts outlining the workaround. If it doesn't work for you, I'm sorry. But this is consistently working for a bunch of us.
It will take me several times (generally around 20) to get the steps to work sometimes, but this morning I got in on the 3rd attempt. Keep trying even if it takes several tries. If the conditions are met at each step, you'll get in. I've never had it fail to load into the game if step 3's conditions are a go.

Edit: I do not have any information about whether you can create a character at the character screen if all classes are regular resolution. If anyone DOES, reply to me and I'll add that info to this list :)

Good luck, exiles!

p.s. big shoutout to Kaldrax, they really helped dial it in!

followed these steps for 2 hours straight. this "workaround" does not work. it just results in the same hindering issues: "failed to connect to instance", or the game crashing on the loading screen.
"
Chomo_Lonzo wrote:
"
Laeortia wrote:
Guys, there's a workaround in this thread.

For y'all who don't want to look, here are the steps:

1) Open game. Open gateways menu. If you see ms for all of them, proceed to 2. If you do not, exit game and start again at 1.
2) Pick your gateway and log in. If you get booted, exit the game and start at 1. If not, proceed to 3. I recommend picking a gateway that is not your usual one, but try anyway. I haven't verified whether it will or won't connect to your usual one on the first go, I just automatically pick something in Europe. I don't mind the extra 80 ms unless I've got major rubber banding. If you're an HC player, I obviously don't recommend doing this.
3) Log in. If the class chars are blurry, exit and begin at 1. But, if the class chars are all normal resolution, pick your league char (or standard, I'm not judging!) and hit play. If your game crashes, begin again at 1. If you get in, grats, you've beaten the Mac Boss!
(If you try to load your char, you will get a hard crash anyway. Any changes you made to your language will not be saved, and neither will the gateway you selected, this is normal, don't worry.)

3a) When your game time is over for the day (if you leave your computer on all the time) or you're just doing something else and plan to come back, hit Option (or Alt), Command, Esc (Escape) to bring up the force quit menu. Force quit PoE's client. This should save your steps. I keep forgetting this so I have to do this over again, but this workaround works consistently so it's not a huge problem. I have not tested force quitting from Activity Monitor itself because at that point I'm just lazy and I'll do it the way I know for sure works. So far in my experience, anyway.

A note about language swapping: Sometimes changing your language seems to help, but that might just be a coincidence.
I've had the problems persist times I've selected a different language, so it's probably just anecdotal from those of us who've gotten in after changing the language on the first try. I did have that happen once, but not again any other time I've switched languages.
I don't swap anymore since I've figured out the steps with the help of another poster here who was troubleshooting along with me, alongside previous posts with people who'd been able to get in after doing x thing or y thing, and I tested those things myself to ensure the steps to get into the game are correct :) It's a step I don't take because it's not a guarantee.

Anyway, hope this helps people who haven't seen the prior posts outlining the workaround. If it doesn't work for you, I'm sorry. But this is consistently working for a bunch of us.
It will take me several times (generally around 20) to get the steps to work sometimes, but this morning I got in on the 3rd attempt. Keep trying even if it takes several tries. If the conditions are met at each step, you'll get in. I've never had it fail to load into the game if step 3's conditions are a go.

Edit: I do not have any information about whether you can create a character at the character screen if all classes are regular resolution. If anyone DOES, reply to me and I'll add that info to this list :)

Good luck, exiles!

p.s. big shoutout to Kaldrax, they really helped dial it in!

followed these steps for 2 hours straight. this "workaround" does not work. it just results in the same hindering issues: "failed to connect to instance", or the game crashing on the loading screen.

Well, as I said, I'm sorry if it does not work for you. But it's 100000% worth me continuing to bump the steps since it does work, even if for some reason it does not work for you. Hope you get in soon, exile!
I want to rock right meow
Still crashing for me repeatedly. The "workaround", which is essentially "keep restarting the client until RNG makes it work" occasionally leads to it connecting. But every time I go to play since league launch I have to assume somewhere between 5-30 crashes before I get to play.

I'm not sure this detail has been mentioned yet, but, consistently, the process is: attempt to connect once, fail, and then you can pretty much guarantee that no connection attempt will work after that and one of them will eventually cause a crash.

Mac, Steam client.
Last edited by mediapathic on Aug 3, 2024, 4:54:58 AM
Maybe.....they need to fix the game.
"
mediapathic wrote:
Still crashing for me repeatedly. The "workaround", which is essentially "keep restarting the client until RNG makes it work" occasionally leads to it connecting. But every time I go to play since league launch I have to assume somewhere between 5-30 crashes before I get to play.

I'm not sure this detail has been mentioned yet, but, consistently, the process is: attempt to connect once, fail, and then you can pretty much guarantee that no connection attempt will work after that and one of them will eventually cause a crash.

Mac, Steam client.

If you're able to make it into the game and want to avoid having to do the work around next time, use force quit to close the game. CMD+OPT+ESC.

If you force quit the game instead of logging out you wont run into the login issue the following time you open the client on steam.
Yeah I have to say I'm pretty surprised this is still an issue a week away from league launch. GGG is normally pretty good at handling glaring issues like this. I can only assume something is fundamentally broken here on the Mac side of things. Really appreciate everyone's posted work-arounds even though none of them have worked for me. Out of maybe 100 log in attempts The farthest I've gotten is standing up on the beach. Have yet to even socket a gem and kill the first zombie.

I totally understand the staff is swamped with issues on league launch and split making two games at once. I don't mind being patient. Can we at least get someone from GGG to confirm they're working on a fix?
"
Hippokraken wrote:
Yeah I have to say I'm pretty surprised this is still an issue a week away from league launch. GGG is normally pretty good at handling glaring issues like this. I can only assume something is fundamentally broken here on the Mac side of things. Really appreciate everyone's posted work-arounds even though none of them have worked for me. Out of maybe 100 log in attempts The farthest I've gotten is standing up on the beach. Have yet to even socket a gem and kill the first zombie.

I totally understand the staff is swamped with issues on league launch and split making two games at once. I don't mind being patient. Can we at least get someone from GGG to confirm they're working on a fix?

So apparently they're looking into the crashing issue (which is why multithreading is disabled), but no mention of the "Unable to connect to instance" login problem. It was mentioned in the 3.25.0c patch notes.

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3540500
I've been able to play if I spend some time with the RNG login and then remember to force quit. Still can't consistently login without doing that.

T14+ maps have laughably low FPS, like 10-15, which I would assume it's due to multithreading being turned off.

GGG please!
Tried a VPN yet? I get random disconnects on loading into instances without one.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info