3.22.0b Patch Notes (restartless)

"
Duran_Fauxe wrote:
"
Kieren_GGG wrote:
"
Duran_Fauxe wrote:
Performance Fixes when?

We're currently investigating and testing fixes for situations that some players are experiencing (tiles/assets sometimes not loading, long load times, cases of high CPU load) and hope to get them out soon.

For the record, I do believe the performance issues seem to be affecting people with VRAM of 1 GB or less, at least in reference to the constant shader spikes. That is my current hypothesis.

Almost unplayable in red maps on my Hexblast character, this rig has worked flawlessly for many previous leagues. The graphic lag stutters in every map are almost making the game unplayable.

RTX 4090, 24GB Vram
M.2 SSD (Plenty of free space)
Ryzen 5800X3D
Windows 11
PoE via Steam

Tried deleting cache folders and then verify game files - no change to graphical lag

Installed latest NVidia drivers - no change

Tried all variations of Graphic options in game - no change

Tried GeForce Experience various optimize settings - no change

All Skin cosmetics disabled - no change in maps.

I don't think it is our end that is the issue. Did not have this issue in Cruicible and my many characters that league.

Last edited by GeoffC on Aug 23, 2023, 8:09:41 AM
"
skrrrrt wrote:
be sure to make your cache folder bigger in the nvidia control panel

This actually worked for me (quick test)

For others wanting to try this:

1. Open Nvidia Control Panel by right clicking the desktop and selecting it. On Windows 11 you have to first click "Show More Options"

2. Click "Manage 3D Settings"

3. Find the item "Shader Cache Size" and change it from Default to Unlimited (not tested other settings)

Now, it will still stutter a bit as you load in textures but once they are cached, it should not stutter again.

Went into a Delirium map which almost bricks my GPU with heavy graphical stutters, now it was smooth as butter after the initial 10 seconds.

Looking hopeful on this.
"
Kieren_GGG wrote:
"
Duran_Fauxe wrote:
Performance Fixes when?

We're currently investigating and testing fixes for situations that some players are experiencing (tiles/assets sometimes not loading, long load times, cases of high CPU load) and hope to get them out soon.

Do you know that the game is rewriting shaders over and over again, at the beginning of each instance? Have you fixed all of these issues?

Do you know about latency issues when there are too many projectiles/objects being generated on and off-screen?
And that includes both mobs and their logic and, for instance - projectiles?
The latency issues rise with the number of projectiles and attack speed.
The game starts freezing and the FPS goes down the drain..

It may or may not have anything to do with the GFX issues and the number of objects generated on the screen, it might have something to do with the game loop where logic is blocking rendering.
So check that too, while you're at it.

Do you know about the problems with Dynamic Resolution, where it doesn't effectively do anything at all? On or Off - it has no influence over the framerate..
Last edited by kentrylix on Aug 23, 2023, 9:00:50 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
mdkl9399 wrote:
Vixen's was not fixed, and it will not be fixed, since it's working as it should be.

It was stated that how Vixen's worked last 3 years, it was due to bugg.

The relevant part of the patch notes regarding the spell cascade interaction says this:
"
We have reinstated the old behaviour only for Curses for the remainder of the Ancestor League, but this incorrect behaviour will be fixed in the 3.23.0 patch.

I have also clarified my post earlier in the thread to make it explicitly clear, this patch reintroduces the bug so that spell cascade will again fail to see +radius modifiers on curses and thus not space them out as much, like before the patch. This behaviour was not intended, but it is being changed back to work that way for this league. The fix will be applied in 3.23.0.

Oh, hi Mark! My 2 cents:

You (and I mean GGG) are not being honest. Twitter post reads "We have a FIX for Vixen's". Now you're saying it's an old bug that is being reinstated for curses just this once. It's like you have a serious communication issue over there. Do you guys even talk to each other?

That being said, some players are doing the typical poe player drama saying ID is dead when it's not. Anyone who actually league started this knows the build is fine even with the "bug that was actually a fix". If you stop for once to listen to certain content creators out there you would know this. You're losing some overlap damage on sigle target. The "fix" sucks, but it's not killing ID in any way, shape or form.
Last edited by bauermayers on Aug 23, 2023, 10:34:57 AM
please also fix the bug of ATLAS MISSIONS in KIRAC
i can't click into atlas mission, it shows nothing
i tried another character in standard league, it works
it works for me previous league too, it shows i have 5 quests left but i can't open it.
"
LegatusX wrote:
please also fix the bug of ATLAS MISSIONS in KIRAC
i can't click into atlas mission, it shows nothing
i tried another character in standard league, it works
it works for me previous league too, it shows i have 5 quests left but i can't open it.

Veritania, Baran and all of these bosses don't drop any rewards for me, in Kirac Missions..
"
Increased the amount of favour earnt from sponsors for winning as the tournament progresses.

But you only get favour from a single tribe now, which reduces the overall amount of favour you get significantly. Is this a bug or shall i quit the League?
"
GeoffC wrote:

Almost unplayable in red maps on my Hexblast character, this rig has worked flawlessly for many previous leagues. The graphic lag stutters in every map are almost making the game unplayable.

RTX 4090, 24GB Vram
M.2 SSD (Plenty of free space)
Ryzen 5800X3D
Windows 11
PoE via Steam

Tried deleting cache folders and then verify game files - no change to graphical lag

Installed latest NVidia drivers - no change

Tried all variations of Graphic options in game - no change

Tried GeForce Experience various optimize settings - no change

All Skin cosmetics disabled - no change in maps.

I don't think it is our end that is the issue. Did not have this issue in Cruicible and my many characters that league.

I see many that have issues are on Windows 11 despite having high end specs.
I have a 4090 GPU and a 5900X CPU, SSD, 32GB RAM, etc, and have no issues.

The only difference is that I'm still on Windows 10.

Maybe the root cause is something with Windows 11.

For nVidia users, I recommend using NVCleanstall. With this tool you can install just the drivers, no geforce experience junk or telemetry or other rubbish.
Spoiler
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
"
Savage_of wrote:
soooooooo let me get this straight. youre deleting a build that people like out of the game entirely for no reason because youre deciding that the way spell cascade has worked for *checks calendar* 6 mfing years is now a "bug"? what exactly did impending doom do you to guys?
This bug is not that old (it is 3 years old, which is still impressive).

Spell Cascade has always taken account of area modifiers when placing areas, to make them more spaced out and prevent areas from overlapping too much. That has been the case since it's introduction in 3.1.0, at which point it as far as I can tell, it did not have the bug, because no cascadable spells were using the +x to radius stat.

In 3.12.0, curses changed from having % area modifiers to having + radius modifiers as the gem levels up. Due to the way radii have traditionally been handled in PoE, unlike % area modifiers, which can all be combined into a single multiplier that gets applied in a standard function, adding to the radius can't be folded into that multiplier. This means that each skill which uses a + radius stat needs it's code changed to manually add the value of that stat before the aforementioned multiplier is applied.

Unbeknownst to us at the time, this introduced the bug (at least as it pertains to curses). The curses themselves were correctly updated to account for this modifier applying to them, but Spell Cascade was not - it was adjusting the spacing of areas to account for all area modifiers except "+ radius" ones, which is incorrect - it was calculating spacing based on the wrong area radius.

I only worked out this part today, but some other skills, such as Contagion, were actually handling radius in a different way which included the added radius in the base radius value that spell cascade saw, meaning they behaved correctly - so the bug was inconsistent from skill to skill.

3.22.0 includes a substantial internal rework of radius handling to allow radii for skills to mostly be determined by stats, which can then be described on the gem/skill popup (as is already done for the new Avenging Flame skill from Flamewood Support). This necessitated changes to how Spell Cascade calculates radius. We weren't expecting this to change anything, as in theory it was already accounting for all area modifiers and continued to do so in the new system, but due to the bug it was actually not correctly doing that previously for several skills, including all Hexes.
Because the new version of spell cascade calculation was done correctly (and no longer requires special code in each skill for +radius to be applied), this changed behaviour with the skills that had the bug, and we didn't find this difference in testing prior to the patch release, so it was not described in patch notes.

The correct, intended behaviour of spell cascade has always been that it calculates the spacing of the areas based on how big they actually are.
The previous behaviour was that for many, but not all skills, it calculated spacing based on the area they would have had if they had no "+x to radius" modifiers. This is clearly a bug and meant it was inconsistent between different skills, and different ways of changing area of effect.

We changed the behaviour back for curses for this patch to avoid people being stuck with a build that works differently to how they expect, but as stated, we'll be fixing the bug again in 3.23.0

Incidentally, could we get any information on what the actual formula behind the spacing is?

The most I have seen so far were a couple of user-created graphs with no explanation for how they got their values.

It would be very helpful in optimising our builds or specifically designing them around Spell Cascade.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info