New Engine Patches uses twice as much CPU/GPU yet causes insane micro stutter and lag

"
Mindsmog wrote:
same here , well done GGG you are melting my cpu and its the only game that does this :(

+1 its currently unplayable for me, loads of visual glitches
https://imgur.com/a/ISKT4vV
weirdly, one of them fully reveals map

EDIT: apparently my gpu usage goes through the roof when playing PoE, it gets hot and never stops rising. was on 94 Cº before I closed it last time, pretty sure it was higher previously, while the thermal limit is 83. Other games run well without this problem, this is 100% PoE
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Dec 14, 2023, 11:42:51 AM
"
Disrupted wrote:
"
Mindsmog wrote:
same here , well done GGG you are melting my cpu and its the only game that does this :(

+1 its currently unplayable for me, loads of visual glitches
https://imgur.com/a/ISKT4vV
weirdly, one of them fully reveals map

EDIT: apparently my gpu usage goes through the roof when playing PoE, it gets hot and never stops rising. was on 94 Cº before I closed it last time, pretty sure it was higher previously, while the thermal limit is 83. Other games run well without this problem, this is 100% PoE

Oh, for sure! Plenty of us have similar issues, whether it be the CPU, RAM/Memory or GPU all spiking or just some of them, it all adds up to PoE being the issue at hand. And unless they never informed people of some great increase in demanded resources/requirements, there's no reasoning for why its happening other than oversight on the update(s) being pushed out.

Regardless, it's on them to fix this issue, and hopefully soon! I really do want to play a game that I've been following for ages now.
saw maybe a solution in other Thread that i think helped me, since i have done that i got not a single lag spike

3. Clear your client's config files.
It is possible some non-default setting is causing your problem. Removing the client config files will restore default settings. The config files are located in the below locations:

PC (all types): %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile
macOS (beta): ~/Library/Caches/com.GGG.PathOfExile/

The easiest option is to move the entire folder to a backup location to test this solution. Moving the folder will also clear the client's cached data (see above).

I also cleared the cache folder in "%AppData%\Path of Exile" however that change alone did not fix the issue, but may be worth doing as well

**Note that this will reset all keybinds and other settings, which is a pain but better than crashing. Hope this works for you guys too
just bring back the old engine so we can play
3060+i5 11400, when loading the processor 100% usage, shaders are always loading even though almost a week of the league has already passed,
When I open an expedition on maps, from 100fps it drops to 5-10, dynamic resolution does not work at all.
GGG can you please roll back that patch which none of us asked for? SG/Japan was fantastic for the past few leagues, and now its back to lag spikes every 2 seconds again.
Hello everyone in trouble.
I somehow fixed (almost) spike problem. At least it is now playable with 60fps but with long loading screens and you need at least to wait sometime to load shaders

Here are what I've done:
Spoiler
1.1 Install IMdisk and make new tome P:\
5 Gb NTFS
Run on start
no temp directory

1.2 Go to C:\Users\*name*\AppData\Roaming
Delete folder "Path of exile"
1.3 go to C:\Users\*name*\Documents\My Games\Path of Exile
File production_Config
under [GENERAL] i make:
cache_directory=P:\myfolder\

PS in my case this folder will automatically deleted when you turn off Windows, so i manually copied it to another disk before turning OFF windows, and copy it back when i start my PC

2. Then I lowered my maximum processor speed
2.1 Win+R write regedit and enter
Find \ HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ Power\ PowerSettings\ 54533251-82be-4824-96c1-47b60b740d00\ 75b0ae3f-bce0-45a7-8c89-c9611c25e100
Set Attributes from 1 to 2

2.2 Go to Power options in Windows settings
Create a power plan - High Perfomance
Change plan settings - Change advanced power Settings - Processor power management
Maximum processor frequency:
On battery 3300MHz (my processor has maximum of 3800)
Plugged in 3300MHz (my processor has maximum of 3800)
Minimum processor state:
100%
100%
System cooling policy:
Active
Active
Maximum processor state:
100%
100%

3. Go to Nvidia control panel
3.1 Preferred graphics processor:
Spoiler
High-perfomance NVIDIA processor
Global Settings:
Image Sharpening - Sharpening OFF
Ambient Occlusion - Off
Anisotropic Filtering - Application-controlled
Antialiasing FXAA - Off
Antialiasing Gamma correction - On
Antialiasing Mode - Application-controlled
Antialiasing Transparency - OFF
Background Application Max Frame rate - OFF
CUDA GPUs - ALL
CUDA Sysmem Fallback Policy - Driver Default
Low Latency MOde - OFF
Max Frame Rate - Off
Multi-Frame Sampled AA (MFAA) - Off
OpenGL GDI compatibility - AUTO
OpenGL rendering GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050Ti (yea it's old :(
Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance
Shader Cache Size - Unlimited
Texture filtering Anisotropic sample - On
Texture filtering Negative LOD bias - Allow
Texture filtering Quality - High performance
Texture filtering Trilinear optimization - On
Threaded optimization - Auto
Triple buffering - ON
Vertical sync - Use the 3D application setting
Virtual Reality pre-rendered frames - 1
Vulcan/OpenGL present method - AUTO

3.2 Program Settings
- Select a program to customize: Path of Exile
Select the preferred graphics processor for this program: Use global settings (High-performance NVIDIA processor)

4. POE Settings:
Spoiler
Mode - Windowed Fullscreen
Resolution 1920x1080
Renderer - Vulkan
VSync - Off
Triple-Buffering - Disabled
Foreground FPS Cap - Enabled on 60
Background FPS Cap - off
Antialiasing Quality - Off
Lightning - Shadows (default)
Shadow Quality - Low
Sun Shadow Quality - Low
Number of Lights - Low
Bloom - 25%
Depth of Field - Disabled
Water Detail Level - Low
Texture Quality - Medium
Texture Filtering - 2x Anisotropic Filtering
Dynamic Culling - Enabled
Dynamic Resolution - Enabled
Target Framerate - 60
Engine Multithreading - Enabled

Now It is better performance then nothing (Was literally unplayable)

UPD: Game performance is still shit. I give up >_<
UPD2: Change RAM from 2x4Gb to 1x16 and everything now works fine for me

Last edited by Quagmaer on Dec 15, 2023, 11:52:00 PM
"
DarkenX wrote:
Well, they finally made mention of potential "performance" issues in the latest hotfix posting. Let's see if anything can actually get done about it before the League is over and done with, shall we?~

MOST likely they are only going to adress the degrading performance since the Affliction league launched, where the game runs slower the more you play, at a much faster pace than it was already doing. I'm not even running the woods area (because not worth it) and I still see the need to restart the client every 30-60 minutes just to restore it to somewhat playable state.

With how they've been avoiding even talking about the general performance hit since the summer update, I doubt they're going to actually fix that one ever.

Would love to be proven wrong.
"
We're still investigating your feedback about performance and will give you an update on this when we have one. Thank you for your patience.

Kalandra, Crucible etc. we all know what "Monitoring and Investigating" means.
No idea if it works for everyone but running something in the backround that keeps my pc from idling, like a long youtube video somehow smoothes out my micro stutters issues quite significantly. I am not proficient enough with PC stuff to understand what is going on but it actually really works. Its ridiculous that I have to run some youtube videos in the backround on mute to have a smoother game experience but hey what can you do if GGG is obviously not capable of establishing a baseline solid game performance that every player can expect when playing the game. A lot have been said about "a problem that is on player side" but if I have more stable fps when something runs in the backround means that my PC can absolutely handle POE, maybe not on max settings but this is not an issue on players side.

Again what other game is there that can't provide a somewhat reasonable baseline performance for their players. We are not talking about much here, I can handle graphical glitches and artifacts or the occasional disconnect or some server issues with high pings here and there but having the game being literally UNPLAYABLE due to horrible performance for such a long time and such a large amount of players... I don't know its kinda unacceptable.

I love PoE and love you guys from GGG but my goodness you gotta do something about this. If PoE2 has the same issues of poor optimization than good night. Look at you competitors, Diablo 4 is shit but has a more stable performance, Last Epoch aswell.
Sorry for ranting but this has become such a frustration over time because your game is so fun and good. Such a shame right now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info