New Engine Patches uses twice as much CPU/GPU yet causes insane micro stutter and lag

"
Chuter wrote:

That's very odd,...

EDIT: Also you can manually add it if not there, but it was there in the drop down menu in alphabetical order for me.

Chuter.

Interesting. I will look into this, i bet its gonna help. I think its due me using a custom shortcut for _64 version of exe cuz before patch i was limiting the cores... i can scrap that now anyway since mutli-threading does some weird shit to me. thnx man

edit: also i'm not talking about poe.exe but the shader option within it... I can see the exe in the drop down but there is no setting for shader cashe size there... only in globals

Edit 2: and yeah i just checked I see no option on adding that setting to poe.exe settings manually
Last edited by AintCare on Aug 6, 2023, 8:00:47 PM
Got ya.

Shitty.

Chuter.
Last edited by Chuter on Aug 6, 2023, 9:59:40 PM
"
Chuter wrote:
Got ya.

Shitty.

Chuter.

does your Nvidia utility have separate setting for shader cashe size for each app?
I found some idea's on the forum but none helped me. I decided to remove Path of Exile and re-install it. I'm not stuttering as much as I did before, but I lost around 20FPS during gaming and screen becomes a blur at times (too much happening).

It's still adburd the amount of power being used after the new engine. All settings default. This is when I'm idle in Town: https://imgur.com/a/mKVFLSb

It's using 30-40% more GPU-power and than before the update. Now the intitial startup of PoE uses 100% of CPU and it goes back to somewhat normal number after 10 second. There is a lot more going on than before. Way more CPU and GPU is beging used.

1 to 2 years ago people would accuse devs for implementing a crypto-miner after a specific "update-for-game-improvements" when they would see numbers like this.

AMD 3700X
32GB RAM
512GB NVMe
Win10 Pro-X64
NVidia 3060Ti
Last edited by Hydra1975 on Aug 7, 2023, 5:23:41 AM
"
AintCare wrote:
"
Chuter wrote:
Got ya.

Shitty.

Chuter.

does your Nvidia utility have separate setting for shader cashe size for each app?

No. :(

Chuter.
Updated my cache_directory in PoE config, which resolved the worst of CPU/Shader lag. Game is playable.

Not sure where the Cache folder was prior/after update
"
Futbeidl wrote:
Game performance is much worse than before the patch with the engine/shader update. The patch stated, that the shader processing moved from the CPU to the GPU. Could anyone tell me why the GPU is then just at halv load (<50% with no fps limiter) when it was at >90% before? The GPU isn't as well utilized as before the patch. That seems for me the main issue why my FPS is now almost halved compared to before, dropping frames to under 20 when in a busy shaderrich environment.

The second reason for the low graphics performance seems to be the low memory usage of the GPU (<1GB on Vulkan, <2GB on DX11 and DX12)

In addition I have immense stuttering with multithreading on. With this option off, the CPU-lag flattens out but over all performance hasn't gotten better.

My graphic options I tried:

° Tripple Buffering: ON/OFF
° Vsync: fast/locked/off
° multithreading: ON/OFF
° API: DX11/Vulkan/DX12
° Dynamic Culling: ON/OFF

Shadows are kept at low and global illumination is turned OFF

My specs:
i7 3770k@4GHz
32GB RAM
GTX 1060 6GB
almost new 500GB SATA3 SSD

Would be nice if you could do something about it before the start of the next league ;)

I also set the shader cache to unlimited in the nvidia driver menue and all else application controlled. I just don't get it, why the CPU and GPU usage is quite low despite the low framerate. (Normally the game should force the CPU/GPU to power up until it reaches the 60FPS for Vsync locked?!)

Last edited by Futbeidl on Aug 9, 2023, 4:38:51 PM
"
Chuter wrote:
"

No. :(

Chuter.

well then that was pointless .... lol

Edit: btw even after increasing the cahse size in dirver utility the game keeps over writing cashs files. I'm not qualify to comment if this is good or bad... but it updates these folders few times a min
Last edited by AintCare on Aug 7, 2023, 7:44:56 PM
I've tried everything in this thread. Absolutely nothing works. Thanks GGG. Why don't you fix your game so that people can enjoy it. I've uninstalled POE for now. Maybe if you can fix this 6GB death patch I'll consider reinstalling. I've gone from recommendinh POE to my friends to telling them to stay away because of this. Single digit FPS in not very juiced maps that kill me over and over again. I'm so done.
please save poe it takes 2 minutes for me to load to any zone :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info