System Requirements for PoE is a joke

"
tramshed wrote:
"
Sawm wrote:

they dont or people with litle RAM coujldent run there game, and if they DID this the game wouldn't lag evry time someone summon skeletons evry 9minutes or same with almost evryspell who is out of Ram for no reason and reloads it to create the studder you see sometimes when people use a skill they only use on occasions *immortal call is another good example of the fact that there is NO way the info is in ram and this buggy. (btw if the skeletons (who still cause fps drosp ) dont lag due to that reason then its alot worst it could even be memory leak, i wouldent be surprised ive had quite alot of those i even get blue screens when trying to tab out of poe now. NO OTHER GAME FUCKS UP, only the PoE handcrafted engine.

That hiccup you are experiencing is it having to load from the swapfile since your ram is full. HDs are slow. Swapfiles act as virtual ram which is stored on your hd. Windows will "swap" anything out of the ram that hasnt been used in a while to the disk to try and keep used things in the active ram, which is MUCH faster. However, its not very good at predicting what WILL be needed soon. So it often gets caught with its pants down and has to pull it off the hd.

And to add on to it, this game is single threaded. That means when you cast summon skeleton, then EVERYTHING else on the client is frozen until that resource call is completed and that can take a while to decompress/find that content file into/from virtual memory from a platter hard drive. You'd either need a SSD or more then 10 gb of ram (and no virtual memory) to avoid these microfreezes, because of the single threaded nature of the game.

and beyond that it really is just the gpu that matters in this game and nothing out there can really run this game without at times suffering immense fps drops at times (in some parties). I have a desktop that averages 70-80 fps that in some areas can go down to single digits and my friend frame limits to 120... and I can bring him down to single digits with certain setups. I have another desktop that averages 35 fps throughout acts 1-3, but in the garden it hits 4-7 fps just because of the rain (and a driver issue the game has that forces rain to be rendered in software).

Also those minimal specs are for a early version of the game, when so many of these horrid effects (like the rain in act3x or shocking ground ) weren't there yet to drop framerates immensely. They weren't the minimal to get the game to start up (those are much lower) but rather used to be the minimal for a playable experience. Now even the recommended specs are below the playable line because of the particle effects on any gpu.
Last edited by Jiero on Feb 13, 2014, 10:51:58 AM
4 GB + SSD is actually not enough to completely avoid those freeze ..... :(
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Feb 13, 2014, 10:44:42 AM
I hope GGG still works onto the engine to make PoE perform better. Multi Thread is the least that they could do for example. No clue why GGG did not wrote the engine multthread right from the beginning. It should be clear that the game get's bigger and bigger and more and more effects are filling the screen, including all of these useless Cosmetic Effects that alone already cause FPS drops.
GGG did some optimizing in the past, Texture compression, better handling of ingame effects but since some time it is pretty quiet when it comes to engine Optimizing. I wait for this every patch note, same for optimizing netcode but often then comes nothing in that direction.

Alot could be improved engine wise, my Shader Chace Folder has almost 20K files (!!!). I would delete it but last time I did this PoE cuased my entire PC to crash after some playing, thank god at least this is gone.

I don't have the best PC (Core 2 Quad + GTX469 GeForce) but ir runs actualy everything I play smooth, including Diablo 3 in higher Resolution and no slowdowns in Multiplayer! PoE I can't run in Max Res and even have to lower Effects to play it at least in Single Player halfways fluid. No chance for Multiplayer of course.

GGG should hire some more talented people that care of these issues and not only focus on More Unique Items (without ingame 3D graphics usualy) or more untested skills and shiny but stupid Microtransactions. FOCUS please. ^^"
Most games are single threaded. A few use two (Although generally badly). And I cannot think of any that use more off the top of my head.
HAIL SATAN!
"
tramshed wrote:
Most games are single threaded. A few use two (Although generally badly). And I cannot think of any that use more off the top of my head.

Actually they pretty much all are now multithreaded (and have been so since unreal 3 and quake 4), not counting crap p2w mmos. They are building it into the engine itself which is used as a base to create a game more often then making one from scratch. That means source engine, cry engine, unreal engine... everything made using those are multithreaded as a result of the use of said engine. And most games now are using premade engines to cut down on development costs and to make more robust games with less chance of screwing something up.

They began changing ALL code to multithreaded back when multicore cpus began to replace single cores. That these engines are often licensed to be used as a base for the coding simply made it easier and faster for the market to become compliant with that, and soon these engines will support fibers over threads to become even more efficient and as a result every game made with them will support that also.

edit - so while path of exile uses single threaded programming model from 1970 (multithreading started in the late 1990s btw and became popular in early 2000s), all of it's future competition will soon be using engines that natively support a hybrid threading/fiber model

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fiber_%28computer_science%29
Last edited by Jiero on Feb 13, 2014, 3:27:18 PM
"
The word "Minimum" is key. You can play PoE so long as the minimum requirements are met.

Minimum? Also add don't play with a Laptop. PoE burned my Laptop GPU to crisp.
Thanks to PoE I had to buy 20 MMX2 GPUs from China because they don't sell single ones.

my computer is 8G RAM, i run it on the lowest settings.
its still bad unless i lower the texture manually in the .config file.

ATI Radeon card =/.
my next computer will be an SSD
with nVidia or soemthing different for sure.
you can get SSD's on sale for like 70$ sometimes. Why not just buy one and throw it in your current computer? It will make you enjoy playing so much more.

edit: Here is my specs and screenshot of in game (solo)

Max graphic settings + Ice shot into ton of mobs

Computer Specs
1. GeForce GTX 550 Ti
2. i5-3570 CPU @3.4GHz
3. 16 GB Ram
4. 128gb Samsung Pro SSD
5. Windows 8
ign: Vixien
Last edited by vixien on Feb 18, 2014, 9:05:39 PM
^ and that right there shows the problem. A respectable $150 card (mid tier from 2011) and it is showing a max framerate of 68 for a solo player in a non problem area without using any of the REALLY terrible offenders (no blood rain or shocking ground and only a moderately bad fps killing skill). Party with me and I can drag you down to a average frame rate in the low single digits*. Its really something that it is so easy to bring that down to a below a single fps with such ease in a game that started development 7 years ago.

* Grab a full party of summoners/sporkers/CoC/etc and bring them all to one of the problem areas like a shocking ground map or dominus and enjoy that below 1 fps rate......

edit - I also noticed that at one point your fps dropped from 63-68 down to the single digits by yourself..... ya, a full party would drag you down to a single frame a minute if they were doing it deliberately.
Last edited by Jiero on Feb 18, 2014, 10:17:10 PM
"
Jiero wrote:
^ and that right there shows the problem. A respectable $150 card (mid tier from 2011) and it is showing a max framerate of 68 for a solo player in a non problem area without using any of the REALLY terrible offenders (no blood rain or shocking ground and only a moderately bad fps killing skill). Party with me and I can drag you down to a average frame rate in the low single digits*. Its really something that it is so easy to bring that down to a below a single fps with such ease in a game that started development 7 years ago.

* Grab a full party of summoners/sporkers/CoC/etc and bring them all to one of the problem areas like a shocking ground map or dominus and enjoy that below 1 fps rate......

MAX settings Dominus in the rain

oh, and I paid 120$ for the graphics card :)
ign: Vixien
Last edited by vixien on Feb 18, 2014, 10:13:59 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info