System Requirements for PoE is a joke

Your problem is, that you've set your experience as the "valid" one, and if others have severe FPS drops, the problem is in their PC, not the game.

Yet, people have brought up their PC specs and you cannot possibly still claim the same. Well, you could, but...

PoE has the worst graphic issues I've ever experienced/heard of. And yet, what shocked me was the reply from GGG about more graphic options, especially particle effects, they don't want players to be able to play without constant FPS drops because of the atmosphere, jesus fucking christ, that's right, a 1-50 FPS atmosphere, well thanks a lot for that marvelous logic GGG.
"
tinko92 wrote:
Your problem is, that you've set your experience as the "valid" one, and if others have severe FPS drops, the problem is in their PC, not the game.

Yet, people have brought up their PC specs and you cannot possibly still claim the same. Well, you could, but...

PoE has the worst graphic issues I've ever experienced/heard of. And yet, what shocked me was the reply from GGG about more graphic options, especially particle effects, they don't want players to be able to play without constant FPS drops because of the atmosphere, jesus fucking christ, that's right, a 1-50 FPS atmosphere, well thanks a lot for that marvelous logic GGG.

Its worse then that I think... years of complaining and the only real things they've done was disable the 3rd party PoE particle control application to make sure the lower end people would get kicked from the game and add stuff like shocked ground to remove those with mid range pcs...

edit - So I guess I'm saying is that 2 years of trying to 'fix' it and its only ended up at a MUCH worse state then its ever been for those who want to play the game but can't afford to update their pc... (doesn't cover me with my newer pc but still annoys me to see it done to so many others)

Years of 'work' on optimizing the code and they only thing they have really done is remove a fan made bandaid fix and introduce brand new vastly worse unoptimized stuff.... and that makes me seriously facepalm to hear them claim they are still working on it.
Last edited by Jiero on Mar 9, 2014, 8:17:11 PM
Today I've found out that PoE indeed made things even worse.

I went to my friend's place today, he has a end range laptop, playing most of the new games on high settings, he got me into PoE ~9 months ago, we played together then.
Both of us had no graphic problems, no FPS drops, both played on top settings, of course, my laptop is a mid range one, so I had some heat issues, so I've lowered couple of settings and it ended up well.
I've played Dual Strike build, he played Freeze Pulse, farming together, no lag spikes/FPS drops, nothing.
And now, I can't play on low-mid settings without occasional FPS drops even solo, party play is a disaster.
I asked him to turn on PoE so we can see if he also has those issues, and yes, he does, now he can only play on mid low-settings without FPS drops when playing solo.

Just to throw out a comparison with D3, I played it on mid-high with 40+ FPS even in party with 3 wizards spamming their shiny spells.
I can still play it like that.
He could play D3 on maxed out settings, and he can still do that.

But sure, It's the player's fault.
Post specs and I will tell you what the problem is (apart from PoE being poorly optimized). It's usually either not enough RAM or using a Radeon card. Both are GGG's fault, of course (unless you are using 10 year old hardware), but if you want stable frame rates you better have 4 GB RAM and a good Nvidia card.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I'm aware of the Radeon issue, but that is only in my case, because I have one.

7670M + 4GB RAM.

Just to clarify, I don't want to be able to run on high-max settings with 40+ FPS, I just want that 40+ FPS.
I'm even doing 40+ FPS on mid settings in SC2.

It's clearly the game, and I've yet to find out how to stop those FPS drops, not even setting the texture quality to 8 helped (graphics are far worse than the ones in D2), it's just about ~20% better than on max settings.
The fact that this game is not well optimized and has FPS drops doesn't in any way mean that the system requirements are a "joke".

Game is playable just fine on a $100 APU and nothing more, so that pretty much automatically invalidates all QQ about minimum system requirements.

Most of what I'm reading here are people with overpowered rigs for this game upset that it has frame drops. That doesn't really have anything to do with system requirements.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by tackle70 on Mar 12, 2014, 2:49:18 PM
"
tackle70 wrote:
The fact that this game is not well optimized and has FPS drops doesn't in any way mean that the system requirements are a "joke".

Game is playable just fine on a $100 APU and nothing more, so that pretty much automatically invalidates all QQ about minimum system requirements.

Most of what I'm reading here are people with overpowered rigs for this game upset that it has frame drops. That doesn't really have anything to do with system requirements.

To re-iterate...

* This is a game that started development is 2006, both the cpu and ram requirements reflect that

* The minimal requirements state a older gpu can run it, yet contains situations in which top of the line brand new ones cannot run it at all on minimal

* The concept of a minimal requirement in a multiplayer game is to say how much power is needed to play a full team in the most unoptimized areas in the game with the most unoptimized skill combos in the game against the most unoptimized monsters in the game without the game ever locking up. Anything that locks up in that situation is considered below minimal requirements.

* Most of the game is easy on the gpu, and solo my friend can pull 250+ fps on minimal with a brand new titan (I'm only at 105ish to 180ish in most areas). Cpu and ram can be run on anything from 2003ish and that leaves the hard drive as the 2nd biggest problem.

* That same friend can be dragged below 1 fps and lock up long enough to have the server force a disconnect with ease in those specific sitations which must be used to consider for minimal requirements

That means by definition not a single gpu in the market in 2014 can be considered as capable of running this game that started development in 2006!

That isn't a joke to you? That is like having a ps2/3 era game that even a ps4 is incapable of actually running due to gpu requirements.... its not frame rate drops, its freezing up and disconnecting you from the server on a regular basis if you don't avoid those badly set up situations.
"
Jiero wrote:
"
tackle70 wrote:

To re-iterate...

* This is a game that started development is 2006, both the cpu and ram requirements reflect that

* The minimal requirements state a older gpu can run it, yet contains situations in which top of the line brand new ones cannot run it at all on minimal

* The concept of a minimal requirement in a multiplayer game is to say how much power is needed to play a full team in the most unoptimized areas in the game with the most unoptimized skill combos in the game against the most unoptimized monsters in the game without the game ever locking up. Anything that locks up in that situation is considered below minimal requirements.

* Most of the game is easy on the gpu, and solo my friend can pull 250+ fps on minimal with a brand new titan (I'm only at 105ish to 180ish in most areas). Cpu and ram can be run on anything from 2003ish and that leaves the hard drive as the 2nd biggest problem.

* That same friend can be dragged below 1 fps and lock up long enough to have the server force a disconnect with ease in those specific sitations which must be used to consider for minimal requirements

That means by definition not a single gpu in the market in 2014 can be considered as capable of running this game that started development in 2006!

That isn't a joke to you? That is like having a ps2/3 era game that even a ps4 is incapable of actually running due to gpu requirements.... its not frame rate drops, its freezing up and disconnecting you from the server on a regular basis if you don't avoid those badly set up situations.

I have played this game on the following setups:
1100t + 7970
2600k + 7970 crossfire
2600k + 780 SLI
5600k + 750 ti

Mixes of 8 or 16GB RAM on those systems.

On all of those rigs except the APU alone, the game was perfectly playable maxed out at 2560x1440. With the 7970 and 780 setups, that includes 6 man party play, with framerates never going below 30. On the 750ti, settings must be turned down in groups greater than 3 to maintain framerates above 30.

I've never experienced the game "freezing up" and crashing. I've been disconnected - mainly during the server instability of 1.0 launch, but that's about it.

Because I've run this on the above variety of rigs, I'm calling BS on your claim that this game can make a Titan - or any other high end GPU - chug to sub-10 FPS. If that's happening, you have a driver/software problem or some other hardware limitation.

A 5600k APU is about equivalent to the minimum specs in terms of CPU/GPU power and the game is playable just fine on it. If you come up with a BS definition of "playable" such that it means "maxes everything and never ever ever ever ever goes below 9000000 fps" then fine, the minimum system requirements are a joke in that case.

Even if your definition of "minimum" extends to include six-man parties, I'd say you have come up with a BS definition of "minimum". Minimum is the absolute lowest hardware you can have and be able to play the game. What you are complaining about is NOT that.
Last edited by tackle70 on Mar 12, 2014, 3:19:18 PM
^ So you did 6 man cast on crit summoner group in a shocked ground map and still maintained at least 30 fps on that 750ti? That I doubt seriously, if your talking 6 man in any act 1-2 (most of act 3) story map then I would believe that you could maintain over 50 there but not in some of these new map mods or some of those corrupted areas.

And yes, I base my idea (and coming from experience in how console games are made) that the minimal specs in a game are the worst it can experience and either that the game must be fully playable in those worst case scenarios or the issues at fault removed/fixed. I want them to get corrected in this game. That by definition means full party in the worst area with the worst skills against the worst monsters, anything less then that is not a true test.
Last edited by Jiero on Mar 12, 2014, 3:25:04 PM
"
Jiero wrote:
^ So you did 6 man cast on crit summoner group in a shocked ground map and still maintained at least 30 fps on that 750ti? That I doubt seriously, if your talking 6 man in any act 1-2 (most of act 3) story map then I would believe that you could maintain over 50 there but not in some of these new map mods or some of those corrupted areas.

And yes, I base my idea (and coming from experience in how console games are made) that the minimal specs in a game are the worst it can experience and either that the game must be fully playable in those worst case scenarios or the issues at fault removed/fixed. I want them to get corrected in this game. That by definition means full party in the worst area with the worst skills against the worst monsters, anything less then that is not a true test.

Like I said, 750ti requires settings to be turned down in parties > 3

But I played in a lot of 6 man parties, including summoners and CoC parties on the 780 / 7970 rigs and never had anything like the framerate problems you speak of.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info