The promise of a shared endgame fooled collectors and standard players

i think its perfectly valid to feel a sense of bait and switch.

the devs have gone back on what they said, people support development of the game and the devs told them what they were developing. thats what they always say, your support funds the continued development. they also told people what they were developing... and now they have announced theyre developing something different. people have the right to feel some way about that.

theres been plenty of times ive been pissed off. ive spent $100s and put in 1000s of hours and then had the rug pulled. your items matter, my items got shit on, we wont do this or that, this isnt a game where we invalidate your gear each patch with higher tier mods and new shiny things, and then thats exactly what theyve done so many times. the game should be competitively fair, and then we get streamer queue jump on a league start. i can appreciate feeling pissed off at GGG over things, ive been there, a lot of us have been there.

what i would say on the flip of that is that im still here, ive been through moments where ive felt not only that im not interested in poe but actual resentment towards GGG where i would not support them further on principal grounds. but im still here and i will support poe2.

i think youre all gonna see poe2 is great after it releases and youll be fine with the fact its a separate game, youll come to terms with it and maybe even think it was the right move. youll play poe2, enjoy the game and in 5 years time we will all be in these forums itll be our main game and youll be buying supporter packs just like me.

people are pissed off right now and its fine, people get pissed with the devs theyve got every right to have their feelings on things. personally im just numb to the rugs getting pulled at this point, ive emotionally detached from the entire process of poe development and i happen to think what theyre doing is the right move. i was gonna make a forum feedback post telling them combining the game in the manor they announced before was a terrible mistake if they had gone through exilecon this year without a change of direction.

ultimately what will turn people around is the game, people have the right to be pissed off if thats how they feel but poe2 will win them over in the long run.
"
XeoTech wrote:
I'm just going to leave this here.

This is a clip of Chris Wilson saying that "Sequels split a community". And that is exactly what we're experiencing right now.

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxSkh2qQHe1LM6AMqjvZTX9POq1sHoWKZS

That didn't age well.
Innocence forgives you
"
CoopSterner wrote:
The introduction of zoom into PoE was a strategic move to acquire sufficient resources in order to create the game the developers had envisioned from the start.

The current plan of two separate games was probably caused by their overlord, effectively denying them from ever un-zooming the base game.

nah, they just like adding crazy stuff but also realise it causes problems.

its like a human being who loves chocolate, hates exercising but also wants to be healthy and have a beach body. youre being pulled in multiple directions by your own desires and logical understanding but ultimately you just wanna enjoy your life the best you can so you muddle through making compromises.

theyre just trying to make a good game.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

theyre just trying to make a good game.

From my perspective they're entering into their "Blizzard" phase where everything becomes simplified and the product loses its soul just like diablo & starcraft

They're putting skills in your ascendancy's, open your eyes.
Innocence forgives you
Last edited by SilentSymphony on Jul 30, 2023, 10:21:28 AM
Publicly saying one thing, ceasing communication entirely, waiting 4 years and then doing the exact opposite that he said is the purest definition of manipulation and lying for profit. You can also dig contradictions in several topics that CW would "never do something" and then proceed and to do exactly that. Bait and switch, plain and simple, which is hilarious because some of the first memes about PoE was about fishing.

Some would even say... red flags.
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
Last edited by AdRonZh3Ro on Jul 30, 2023, 10:31:53 AM
Not a collector but I do have some Alt Arts and I don't think I would have spent nearly as much time trying to get them if I had known about this change.
Very unfortunate ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
"
I understand why this bothers you. It was not what I expected or wanted to hear while sitting in the audience (even worse was the beta date). I am also sympathetic towards GGG though. The reasons why they’ve done this are clear and I don’t think there was any malicious intent in this pivot. It’s just what they need to do in order to address(avoid really) the formidable design and community management challenges they faced in bringing PoE2 into PoE1. If that’s what it takes to get PoE2 in my hands as soon as possible I’ll take it. I’m tired of waiting for it.

PoE2 is still very much path of exile. The skill tree is expanding in size and flexibility(weapon swap passives!). The skill system is getting improved massively. Gear is still complex and important. I believe it will be the better game when it releases. In PoE1 we have these deep build customization systems that can only be used with the skills that have good mechanics because the combat sucks and the only skills that are popular are ones that deal big damage in a big area at high speed. PoE2 solves this and that will open up build diversity and theorycrafting quite a lot so it is going to have even more of PoE’s biggest strength. On top of this, well executed combat is rewarding as an experience in PoE2 so we won’t need to rely purely on gear advancement to bring a smile to our faces.

Overall, I am optimistic about all this and don’t see it as invalidating my support or time investment in PoE1.

It quite literally isn't very much Path of Exile. Because Path of Exile will still exist as a game. Which means they have changed so much that they had to keep making two separate games.

Can I see my old characters I worked on anywhere in PoE2? Can I use my old knowledge and can I see all the content I've been through all these years? Right, I can't, I have to go to PoE1 which is now in danger due to having a competitor game made by the same company.

Games like these are about building a dynasty of achievements and things you've done and been through, things that will always be there. Making a sequel should have never ever happened. If they went so far with changes that they felt it was necessary to make two games, they should have walked back a lot of the changes until it was acceptable to have one game. That's the only thing I would have been okay with. I am not playing another game from you for thousands of hours if not more when you have shown you are willing to replace your games with a sequel.
Last edited by albert2006xp on Jul 30, 2023, 1:21:08 PM
Collectors can calm the fuck down and collect the new PoE2 items. Your POE1 collection is still going to be there.

Standard players.................. why play standard? Just why?
"
"
XeoTech wrote:
I'm just going to leave this here.

This is a clip of Chris Wilson saying that "Sequels split a community". And that is exactly what we're experiencing right now.

https://www.youtube.com/clip/UgkxSkh2qQHe1LM6AMqjvZTX9POq1sHoWKZS

That didn't age well.

"

From my perspective they're entering into their "Blizzard" phase where everything becomes simplified and the product loses its soul just like diablo & starcraft

Ikr? people are just blinded by the new shiny graphics and all and lose the view on detail. PoE2 is just a brand new game that doesn't look and feel like Path of Exile, it has just has some iconic PoE stuff but that's about it. People bang about the slow speed cause they are tired of the faster pace, which is fine cause everyone likes it different , but they do forget that they slowed down the speed like crazy for the showcase. Boss fights are also not entirely balanced yet so as is for speed it'll likely even going to be the same as before after a couple of patches lol. Only difference you build your characters differently with the somewhat different combat. It that alone isn't even already a dead system on arrival for build diversity.
Heck they don't even get to design great ascendancy classes anymore, doubt the new one in PoE2 are going to feel special or great at all.
People complain about PoE1 crafting, but giving from what we've seen so far crafting is way worse in PoE2. They've mentioned that loot filters are still gonna exist, which means there's still going to be a buttload of loot on the ground. If not even more with all the new base types of items.
Like really what was the point of the first exilecon and this one other than a on stage league reveal. Nothing they've said about PoE2 mattered much over the past 3 years since exilecon 2019, and I wouldn't be surprised if half of what they've said this time actually stays that way. PoE2 is prob going to look even more different by the time they release it.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on Jul 30, 2023, 1:56:05 PM
"

its so bloody open now my eyes hurt.

skills are weapon specific too. theres no way my 2handed sword viperstrike self made build would work in poe 2. yeah its weak but watever.
[Removed by Support]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info