The promise of a shared endgame fooled collectors and standard players

"
Jideament wrote:

I'm failing to see the point of human existence because of people like you.

Smartest extra Chromosome enjoyer.
Last edited by Kamirii on Jul 30, 2023, 6:24:59 AM
"
Jix_91 wrote:
"

It’s a simple question. Raycheetah asserts he paid for something else and didn’t get it. I’m just asking what item that was.

At this point I think you intentionally chose to not get it.
No, I do get it. Raycheetah says there’s something else he paid for, but won’t say what, and you’re backing that up, both avoiding addressing the question because you are both fully aware that there isn’t anything else that was paid for.
Looking at Exilecon (generally) as a promotional event, it advertises GGG's products (the game(s)) in order to solicit financial support. If GGG could rake in money without a single player logging into the game, it would likely bother them, but it wouldn't bother them as much as if nobody paid to keep the lights on.

Directly from the Path of Exile Shop:

"
The sales of Supporter Packs fund almost all of Path of Exile's development. Thanks to your generous contributions, we have been able to pay for the content and server costs of Path of Exile and its many expansions. This support is greatly appreciated. It covers not only our day-to-day development costs but also the development of future expansions and Path of Exile 2.

They ain't thanking me for buying pretty lights. =9[.]9=

=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
I pushed people to support this game who spent a lot of money on it and all of us were 100% sure we were getting a shared endgame.

Most of my mtx are gifts from those friends, My only support pack is the Tormentor which i was finally able to afford one after 10 years ( i did buy a few mtx ) just no big packs.

This is a nightmare scenario for me, its so bad i didn't even get angry.. The enginener in me took over and i immediately went into problem solving mode... What a shocker this all was.
Innocence forgives you
Nice expression! could not have put it down more accurately <3
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Looking at Exilecon (generally) as a promotional event, it advertises GGG's products (the game(s)) in order to solicit financial support.
Yes, absolutely. Companies sell products and services to make money to fund their operations (and profit). What GGG sells are the items available in their shop. When you buy one of those items, you are supporting the company.

Thanking you for buying the pretty lights is exactly what they're doing, because selling the pretty lights is how they keep the lights on, and they like to be able to keep the lights on. Buying the pretty lights is supporting GGG.

I feel like there are some concepts being danced around here. The first is the difference between a purchase and a donation. The second is the idea of your intentions for purchasing something.

Both purchases and donations are financial support. But nothing on the store is a donation, to get that one out of the way.

And importantly, that is true regardless of what your intentions are. You may buy an armour set more to help the company than because you want the armour set, that's fine. But that doesn't change what you bought. Your intentions are in your head, they don't change anything external to you. You bought the armour set, and the company's responsibility is to give you what you paid for, not to read your mind about your intentions and abide by other preferences you might have for their work.

If you thought you were buying more than that, somehow voting for a particular development pathway, buying a stake in that nice plan you heard about...well, you were mistaken. I know it sucks to go through that disappointment, but that's not what buying things is. If you know that, then hopefully you won't go through similar situations again in the future.
I understand why this bothers you. It was not what I expected or wanted to hear while sitting in the audience (even worse was the beta date). I am also sympathetic towards GGG though. The reasons why they’ve done this are clear and I don’t think there was any malicious intent in this pivot. It’s just what they need to do in order to address(avoid really) the formidable design and community management challenges they faced in bringing PoE2 into PoE1. If that’s what it takes to get PoE2 in my hands as soon as possible I’ll take it. I’m tired of waiting for it.

PoE2 is still very much path of exile. The skill tree is expanding in size and flexibility(weapon swap passives!). The skill system is getting improved massively. Gear is still complex and important. I believe it will be the better game when it releases. In PoE1 we have these deep build customization systems that can only be used with the skills that have good mechanics because the combat sucks and the only skills that are popular are ones that deal big damage in a big area at high speed. PoE2 solves this and that will open up build diversity and theorycrafting quite a lot so it is going to have even more of PoE’s biggest strength. On top of this, well executed combat is rewarding as an experience in PoE2 so we won’t need to rely purely on gear advancement to bring a smile to our faces.

Overall, I am optimistic about all this and don’t see it as invalidating my support or time investment in PoE1.
"
"
Raycheetah wrote:
Looking at Exilecon (generally) as a promotional event, it advertises GGG's products (the game(s)) in order to solicit financial support.
Yes, absolutely. Companies sell products and services to make money to fund their operations (and profit). What GGG sells are the items available in their shop. When you buy one of those items, you are supporting the company.

Thanking you for buying the pretty lights is exactly what they're doing, because selling the pretty lights is how they keep the lights on, and they like to be able to keep the lights on. Buying the pretty lights is supporting GGG.

I feel like there are some concepts being danced around here. The first is the difference between a purchase and a donation. The second is the idea of your intentions for purchasing something.

Both purchases and donations are financial support. But nothing on the store is a donation, to get that one out of the way.

And importantly, that is true regardless of what your intentions are. You may buy an armour set more to help the company than because you want the armour set, that's fine. But that doesn't change what you bought. Your intentions are in your head, they don't change anything external to you. You bought the armour set, and the company's responsibility is to give you what you paid for, not to read your mind about your intentions and abide by other preferences you might have for their work.

If you thought you were buying more than that, somehow voting for a particular development pathway, buying a stake in that nice plan you heard about...well, you were mistaken. I know it sucks to go through that disappointment, but that's not what buying things is. If you know that, then hopefully you won't go through similar situations again in the future.

I'm about done with you. But let's go 'round one more time:

"
This support is greatly appreciated. It covers not only our day-to-day development costs but also the development of future expansions and Path of Exile 2.

No less a figure than Chris Wilson, himself, defined what Path of Exile 2 was going to be at Exilecon 2019. Based on how he defined it, described it, and promoted it, I supported GGG. What part of reasonable expectations don't you understand? Having heard bupkus from GGG about any planned changes, I continued to support GGG, anticipating that things were going as outlined in the advertising. Absent any more direct form of "off the shelf purchase," this is what constitutes commerce with GGG.

But if you have to be the "Smartest Exile in the Room," knock yourself out. I'll let anyone who cares to read these exchanges come to their own conclusions. Go away now. Or take the last word. I won't bother reading it. =9[.]9=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
the thing that baffles me most is why go in totally opposite direction of what made your game popular in the first place?

"
Raycheetah wrote:
I'm about done with you. But let's go 'round one more time:

"
This support is greatly appreciated. It covers not only our day-to-day development costs but also the development of future expansions and Path of Exile 2.

No less a figure than Chris Wilson, himself, defined what Path of Exile 2 was going to be at Exilecon 2019. Based on how he defined it, described it, and promoted it, I supported GGG. What part of reasonable expectations don't you understand? Having heard bupkus from GGG about any planned changes, I continued to support GGG, anticipating that things were going as outlined in the advertising. Absent any more direct form of "off the shelf purchase," this is what constitutes commerce with GGG.
I understand you had expectations and you're disappointed they didn't come to pass. But expectations are in your head. I'm not talking about what's in your head, I'm talking about your comments about paying for more than just MTXs.

What you paid for is not in your head, it's a verifiable fact - you are told before the purchase what it is you're buying, you agree to buy those things, and then you even get a receipt acknowledging what you paid for. Regardless of what expectations are floating around in your mind, if it isn't part of the purchase agreement, you are not paying for it.

Financial literacy is important, and encouraging people to think that their purchases are (somehow? magically?) paying for things other than what they're specifically agreeing to is setting them up for misery, disappointment and a bunch of wasted money. It's irresponsible.
Last edited by GusTheCrocodile on Jul 30, 2023, 7:23:09 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info