I'm sick of zoom meta. (Speed creep created bad combat and game balance)

"
Grendahl wrote:
+1 to OP

one of the things that makes Dark Souls great is that you have to be methodical. While you are rewarded for "git<ting> gud", you are still rewarded for being methodical while being punished for being reckless.

I'm not a DS fanboi, but I have been playing DS3 since about a week ago while waiting for Elden Ring DLC to drop. (I know, the "casual" versions of the DS series, right?) I love that the game punishes me for rushing. Even with a glass cannon build, if you're not methodical, you die.

I love many things about POE; but the zoom meta and the low rewards at lower power levels is not one of them.

Which of course is my second and most consisted piece of feedback, the game is not rewarding for solo players at lower power levels. I get that they want to prevent bots from making everything dirt cheap, and I get that the zoomiest group players kill the league boss by the end of the first week. Most players would rather grind for their gear than having to buy it. This is a place that POE has always been weak as compared with other looter games.

...but now I'm way off topic.

I would love for POE2 to be a game that rewards methodical game play and that rewards players play this way.

It's looking like PoE2 will be for us! (This exilecon they are splitting the games.)
"
AdRonZh3Ro wrote:
Oh yeah, now you can leave the zoomers in PoE1 and join the other boomers in PoE2.

Extremely excited, although I'm not a boomer, just someone who gets different enjoyments from this game.
then play grim dawn, last epoch or diablo 4? why are people asking ggg to get rid of the zoom zoom meta when it's one of the biggest things that make poe unique and good?

if you like slow games, go ahead and play slow games instead of complaining, duh
Last edited by auspexa on Aug 1, 2023, 11:10:25 PM
"
auspexa wrote:
then play grim dawn, last epoch or diablo 4? why are people asking ggg to get rid of the zoom zoom meta when it's one of the biggest things that make poe unique and good?

if you like slow games, go ahead and play slow games instead of complaining, duh

Someone's not heard the news? I mean I get it not everyone follows games they play closely but you would think someone invested enough to post on a forum would also know that there's going to be 2 different POE experiences to choose from.

Personally I have my reservations (and hope to be wrong about them) but If I'm GGG I am absolutely finding ways to keep both the zoom zoom and the boom boom and have more impactful combat and learn from POE1's mistakes as much as possible to make a better game filled with custom tailoring.

If I'm GGG I flinch every time I see someone on my forums suggest that paying customers "go play something else if you aren't perfectly happy". If I were to ever make a game (maybe some day in retirement when AI gets even better) I would literally have TOS rules against posts like that.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
"
alhazred70 wrote:
"
auspexa wrote:

Someone's not heard the news? I mean I get it not everyone follows games they play closely but you would think someone invested enough to post on a forum would also know that there's going to be 2 different POE experiences to choose from.

Personally I have my reservations (and hope to be wrong about them) but If I'm GGG I am absolutely finding ways to keep both the zoom zoom and the boom boom and have more impactful combat and learn from POE1's mistakes as much as possible to make a better game filled with custom tailoring.

If I'm GGG I flinch every time I see someone on my forums suggest that paying customers "go play something else if you aren't perfectly happy". If I were to ever make a game (maybe some day in retirement when AI gets even better) I would literally have TOS rules against posts like that.

this isn't a valid argument because poe 1 will be mostly dead for non-ssf players after poe 2's full release. you'll barely be able to trade for anything you need, as it currently takes about a month and a half for the challenge leagues to die and it'll take even less time when poe 2 is out
"
Grendahl wrote:

Which of course is my second and most consisted piece of feedback, the game is not rewarding for solo players at lower power levels. I get that they want to prevent bots from making everything dirt cheap, and I get that the zoomiest group players kill the league boss by the end of the first week. Most players would rather grind for their gear than having to buy it. This is a place that POE has always been weak as compared with other looter games.

...but now I'm way off topic.

I would love for POE2 to be a game that rewards methodical game play and that rewards players play this way.

This is probably my biggest fear, POE2's slow engaging multi button combo gameplay with drop rates from POE1.

One thing I very much find fault with in GGG is that they seem have a dishonest or simply fake idea of what "risk vs reward" is anyone who plays other games knows POE's loot RNG is arguably worse tuned than any major game thats not a "Korean Grinder MMO".

I cringe EVERY time a GGG persons says risk vs reward. its a meaningless buzzword when they use it.

Unless you consider extreme likelihood of instantly falling over for hours on end for a .001% chance of finding a good item to be a intellectually honest use of the term.
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
"
auspexa wrote:

this isn't a valid argument because poe 1 will be mostly dead for non-ssf players after poe 2's full release. you'll barely be able to trade for anything you need, as it currently takes about a month and a half for the challenge leagues to die and it'll take even less time when poe 2 is out

this remains to be seen, you're just assuming these things. Trade league "dies" after 4-5 weeks already. 8 to 10 weeks after a POE1 league start (4 weeks after everyones already typed "dead league" a hundred times in chat per day) you'll have a POE2 league start and then 8-10 weeks later a new POE1 league. Or at least thats what they are selling (I'm not at all confident about that myself).

I think there are clear "FOMO overload" concerns, but you guys and your "league is dead I can't find 100 gilded fossils to spam at 3am" are always doing this even with 3 month leagues and no competition.

I have my own problems with this new paradigm, but there will be a zoomy and a boomy version so telling people to go play something else is a little pointless don't you think?
"
alhazred70 wrote:
"
auspexa wrote:

this remains to be seen, you're just assuming these things. Trade league "dies" after 4-5 weeks already. 8 to 10 weeks after a POE1 league start (4 weeks after everyones already typed "dead league" a hundred times in chat per day) you'll have a POE2 league start and then 8-10 weeks later a new POE1 league. Or at least thats what they are selling (I'm not at all confident about that myself).

I think there are clear "FOMO overload" concerns, but you guys and your "league is dead I can't find 100 gilded fossils to spam at 3am" are always doing this even with 3 month leagues and no competition.

I have my own problems with this new paradigm, but there will be a zoomy and a boomy version so telling people to go play something else is a little pointless don't you think?

it's not pointless when other games readily offer what these people want.
"
auspexa wrote:

PoE is a combination of many unique things. Whether each unique thing makes it good or not is down to personal taste.

I personally play PoE for the infinite build depth, the complexity of interlocking systems, the sheer amount of content, the atmosphere and lore, the strange skill and item interactions that take actual effort and theorycrafting to find.

I play PoE all of that, but I don't enjoy the speed and the moment-to-moment gameplay. That's a detriment to my enjoyment. Still, I like it much, much more than LE, GD and Diablo 4 for the reasons above.

I don't think you're wrong to prefer zoom meta; it's your taste, and that's cool. I just hope this helps you empathize with why some people like me are over the moon at PoE2, because it carries forward the things we love about PoE1 (enhances them even) but fixes exactly the parts that we've always had trouble with.
Last edited by Falcord on Aug 2, 2023, 4:00:23 AM
"
Falcord wrote:
"
auspexa wrote:

PoE is a combination of many unique things. Whether each unique thing makes it good or not is down to personal taste.

I personally play PoE for the infinite build depth, the complexity of interlocking systems, the sheer amount of content, the atmosphere and lore, the strange skill and item interactions that take actual effort and theorycrafting to find.

I play PoE all of that, but I don't enjoy the speed and the moment-to-moment gameplay. That's a detriment to my enjoyment. Still, I like it much, much more than LE, GD and Diablo 4 for the reasons above.

I don't think you're wrong to prefer zoom meta; it's your taste, and that's cool. I just hope this helps you empathize with why some people like me are over the moon at PoE2, because it carries forward the things we love about PoE1 (enhances them even) but fixes exactly the parts that we've always had trouble with.

couldn't have said it better myself.

bravo GGG for splitting the games. let the zoomers zoom, and let us who love the deliberate and meaningful combat have our own playground :)
1HP 0DPS 45 minute boss kills sound fun. I loved DS2 SOTFS SL1 no bonfire playthrough

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info