Block Nerf?

"
"
"
Boem wrote:

Say what now sport?

Yes and no... if you block, you absorb the impact on your arm, slowly but surely that will kill your arm, especially if you block incorrectly sometimes..

This is a video game though with magical monsters and items...

Because magical monsters fall under " realistic "
yeah we should also be totting shotguns and riding unicorns. cos fuck logic right?

i dont think block itself is much of an issue, its block+ AEGIS thats the thing, but from the looks of the trailer where even the aegis dude died we will see improvements
I tried playing a block build once, I would die from boredom. People see all those afk tanks with the godly items and aegis aurora and cry it's "OP", but:
- max block requires a serious passive node investment, which means less nodes for hp or damage
- playing a max block build with low hp would be idiotic, so it means you basically have to invest all your nodes in block and hp

Therefore, you're left with no dmg nodes and a sword/board build.

It's terribly boring. The goal of the game isn't to not die, it's to not die while dealing reasonable damage. I won't discuss builds like that guy with the 10000000 dps 1-hander, legacy kaom, aegis aurora lvl 100 marauder cause they are an extreme exception. Any lvl 100 character with a decent build and gear for that many exalts should be overpowered.

BoR is, indeed, terribly good, but it also leaves you without a chest so it does have a serious drawback.

IMHO only Aegis Aurora is stupid. No drawbacks, afk-tanking mode.

The Wheel of Nerfs turns, and builds come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the build that gave it birth comes again.
"

That doesn't hold the water -----> Armour.

Armour is done right, yet block is a complete mess.

What if I throw a toothpick on you, you block it, everything's fine.
What if I throw a car with a crane on you, you block it, everything's fine.

Really disappointing.

@OP

Block outside of Aegis isn't OP (at least in PvM), it's very much balanced.

So why nerf the whole block because of PvP?
Why not modify the block in PvP?

By the way, saying some character is mega tanky with 2.5k life is hilarious.
Last edited by tinko92 on Mar 1, 2014, 8:53:44 AM
"
tinko92 wrote:
"

That doesn't hold the water -----> Armour.

Armour is done right, yet block is a complete mess.

What if I throw a toothpick on you, you block it, everything's fine.
What if I throw a car with a crane on you, you block it, everything's fine.

Really disappointing.

@OP

Block outside of Aegis isn't OP (at least in PvM), it's very much balanced.

So why nerf the whole block because of PvP?
Why not modify the block in PvP?

By the way, saying some character is mega tanky with 2.5k life is hilarious.

Its a game......WTF is wrong with you people? Just fucking get any and everything that works in the game fucking nerfed. Every day or week its something new thats needs to be nerfed. STFU already and play the fucking game.
"
passive block nerf would make BOR stronger..

Exactly. BoR will be an even higher sought after item, as well as aegis aurora. This is the truth unfortunately. A fix in my eyes is simply to make both items more rare, thus harder to acquirer.

It seems to me that your real gripe is with the uniques.

And, they can do both: nerf block and make more rare.
GGG listens to its fans!!! Thank you!
"
Kullevi wrote:
Hope they dont "nerf" blocking. It already has pros and cons vs life/es stacking. DoT, big hits, status ailments etc..

Would make game more boring.

"
Kullevi wrote:
Whats the problem with block then?

Ill give you real experience:

I played full block char with 5.5k life, didnt have more because not enough passives to get more.

This other guy was playing same spec but with no block nodes at all, he had 8k+ life.

We took down double Dominus in 74 map.

Now: I was better vs his lighting spells with my spell block. Touch of God almost one shot me and only hit the other guy for about half of his life.

He could tank almost twice as many exploding minions than me.

We both had pros and cons.

So tell me, whats the problem with block? Do you understand that you spend half of your passive points for getting it?

"
yeah we should also be totting shotguns and riding unicorns. cos fuck logic right?

i dont think block itself is much of an issue, its block+ AEGIS thats the thing, but from the looks of the trailer where even the aegis dude died we will see improvements

"
Bars wrote:
I tried playing a block build once, I would die from boredom. People see all those afk tanks with the godly items and aegis aurora and cry it's "OP", but:
- max block requires a serious passive node investment, which means less nodes for hp or damage
- playing a max block build with low hp would be idiotic, so it means you basically have to invest all your nodes in block and hp

Therefore, you're left with no dmg nodes and a sword/board build.

It's terribly boring. The goal of the game isn't to not die, it's to not die while dealing reasonable damage. I won't discuss builds like that guy with the 10000000 dps 1-hander, legacy kaom, aegis aurora lvl 100 marauder cause they are an extreme exception. Any lvl 100 character with a decent build and gear for that many exalts should be overpowered.

BoR is, indeed, terribly good, but it also leaves you without a chest so it does have a serious drawback.

IMHO only Aegis Aurora is stupid. No drawbacks, afk-tanking mode.

These are all valid points which I never see answered by those wanting block nerfed.
I'd really like that these "nerfblockplz" dudes just stopped pretending that you can do it without traveling all the way through the tree.
Demanding a mechanic should be nerfed because its good on PvP is unreasonable, PvP on these games are about being OP as fuck, some builds and items will always have advantage over others - And do note that the game doesnt revolve around you.
I also like how these people always suppose that everybody with block has the absolute best gear, they are so out of touch that it bothers me, ofc with the absolute best gear a specific build tens to perform the best, its not like you are immortal for wearing even crest of perandus, which has the highest base block in game
Rather, please GGG just say "we are not nerfing block" so these people can stop whining about it.
Spoiler
As if they will

Dunno how Aegis Aurora performs by experience since I've never had one, but it does indeed look like a very strong item, but also one that isnt Amazingly OP without great item and node investment.
If they decide to nerf it, then so be it. Im sad that I didnt got one but hey, cant have it all.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Mar 1, 2014, 11:18:16 AM
"
whitw0rth wrote:
Remove all extra block chance from Bringer and Anvil and i guess investment would be high enough to warrant where blocking is atm
So you want to nerf block because you really just want to nerf a few uniques?

Am I reading this thread correctly?
Why am I wearing a heavy belt if I haven't got any pants?
"
IceM wrote:

Its a game......WTF is wrong with you people? Just fucking get any and everything that works in the game fucking nerfed. Every day or week its something new thats needs to be nerfed. STFU already and play the fucking game.

Excellent post.

You're in a forum section called "General Discussion", key word: discussion.

Why are you here?

"
Disrupted wrote:
Dunno how Aegis Aurora performs by experience since I've never had one, but it does indeed look like a very strong item, but also one that isnt Amazingly OP without great item and node investment.
If they decide to nerf it, then so be it. Im sad that I didnt got one but hey, cant have it all.

I keep reading this, but every block build requires great item and node investment, and yet they are all shit compared to an Aegis build.

Even if an item requires 400 ex of investment to be immortal to 99%+ of the content, that shouldn't be possible in the first place.
What ever happens, the playerbase will adapt just fine, not to mention new skill gems and uniques to build around on the way. This seems to always happen closer to a big patch or change, where nothing you say or do will change a thing, yet we do it anyways. Just wait until the patch before there is judgement.
I love pie.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info