Game still won't open on M1 Mac...

This equates out to the same things others have been saying to do ... that doesn't work you just get stuck in the cycle of replacing from the bin and it going back to the bin lol
My Path Of Exile folder only ever has 4 things in it

Content.ggpk

HashCache.dat

Folder "Preferences"

update.dat

is this normal?
still doesnt work
GGG need to end this by ditching the non-intel-mac market, which is way smaller than console markets .

Probably it would speed up if everyone in this thread are Sandwraith Assassin Supporter, which fund GGG enough to finally made a real native metal port, but sadly no.
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
"
"
BowWizard wrote:
"
Got my client bricked again after a PC restart. One thing that I noticed is that macos gave false positive signal on the supposed working Path of Exile.app in the Library/Application Support folder (the one that I just recently drag and drop from bin).

What I did instead returning the Path of Exile.app to the bin, I just click "Cancel" to that one, then right click on Path of Exile.app > Open (Or from Settings > Privacy Securty there's a section telling Path of Exile.app is blocked because from an unidentified developer, click "Open anyway"). The second time I do it there's an "Open" option beside "Move to bin" (or something like that) and "Cancel", I clicked "Open" and the game is working again for me.

You gave me hope for a minute. I followed the same steps. It doesn't work for me.

It puts me in a continuous loop of "Path of Exile is damaged". If I cancel it and then go to Privacy&Security and tell it to open it anyway it gives you 3 options - Open, Move to Trash and Cancel. Selecting open it fires up the update and then goes back to "Path of Exile is damaged".

I bet you we won't see a fix from GGG for this. They just don't care about MacOS. We seem to be regarded as pond scum most of the time.

Try right clicking the Path of Exile.app from /Library/Application Support/Path of Exile folder, and click open from the context menu.

I think what happen is that when there's a new patch:
1. the old Path of Exile.app will download the fresh .app file first (the 40mb download), extract and overwrite any Path of Exile.app in the Library folder, close the old .app client
2. It then programmatically run the fresh .app client which would download the related patch. However there's something wrong happen when the old client programmatically launch the new client, which prompts MacOS to send the new .app client to the trash bin.
3. From here what we need to do is to manually launch the downloaded .app client so that it can skip the point 2. (the one that thrown in the trash bin). What's working for me is that I put the downloaded Path of Exile.app to /Library/Application Support/Path of Exile folder from the trash bin, and instead of double clicking it, I right-clicked it and open it from the context menu

I got it working, though I suspect it is more luck than an actual fix.
This morning it went back to the message about being damaged again. Trying to the usual steps did not work. I removed everything in the POE directory and kicked off another download. Same error message.

An interesting observation. Move to Trash does NOT move the Path of Exile.app file if it is in he directory. It makes a copy and sends that to the Trash bin. So you need to manually delete the .app file.

Then I kicked off yet another update .... are we having fun yet :-)
This of course failed ... but it did not have a .app file in the POE directory. It only had a HashCache.dat and a update.dat file. There was no Path of Exile.app file to move to Trash bin. However I looked in the Trash bin and lo and hold there was a Path of Exile.app file. It has yesterday as the date and was the correct 105.6MB.

Dragged that back to the POE folder (the usual one). Kicked off another update. This time it download - all 40GB+ but at least it worked.
The next issue will be when they issue another patch. No-one can reasonably expect players to use this "work around" forever. GGG need to fix it. The fact that there seems to be a number of different workarounds that work for people is crazy.

Apple have made a number of changes to the OS since the stand alone client was built, but for some reason GGG have not adjusted the deployment process. It's been broken for years now. It honestly should not be hard at all for them to figure it out.
"
VesselIV wrote:

Content.ggpk

HashCache.dat

Folder "Preferences"

update.dat

is this normal?

No. Under "normal" circumstances you will have a Preferences folder, HashCache.dat and content.ggpk. If you are seeing a update.dat file it means the update failed. I'm guessing your content.ggpk file is small as well - less than 100mb when it should be 40+GB.

There are a multitude of "workarounds" that have worked for people, which is extremely confusing for players. I suspect the workarounds are working more by luck than an actual fix for the issue. The other thing is, despite what some have said, the workarounds are not permanent. The next patch will break everything again.

You've probably already tried this but if not, do the following. It worked for me (I'm on Sonoma 14.5 but the OS and version should not matter)

Remove all the files (content.ggpk, HashCache and update). Leave the Preferences folder. Clear whatever is in the Trash bin and make sure it is completely empty.

Kick off the update ... again
It will fail with the usual message. Select Move to Trash
Go to the Trash bin. A Path of Exile.app file should be there.
Drag it back to the POE directory (the hidden directory of ~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile).
Right click the .app file in the directory (double left click will also work).
This should kick off an install without error. It will be a full install (40GB) but it should run.
Start the game and login.

Good luck !
"
BowWizard wrote:
"
VesselIV wrote:

Content.ggpk

HashCache.dat

Folder "Preferences"

update.dat

is this normal?

No. Under "normal" circumstances you will have a Preferences folder, HashCache.dat and content.ggpk. If you are seeing a update.dat file it means the update failed. I'm guessing your content.ggpk file is small as well - less than 100mb when it should be 40+GB.

There are a multitude of "workarounds" that have worked for people, which is extremely confusing for players. I suspect the workarounds are working more by luck than an actual fix for the issue. The other thing is, despite what some have said, the workarounds are not permanent. The next patch will break everything again.

You've probably already tried this but if not, do the following. It worked for me (I'm on Sonoma 14.5 but the OS and version should not matter)

Remove all the files (content.ggpk, HashCache and update). Leave the Preferences folder. Clear whatever is in the Trash bin and make sure it is completely empty.

Kick off the update ... again
It will fail with the usual message. Select Move to Trash
Go to the Trash bin. A Path of Exile.app file should be there.
Drag it back to the POE directory (the hidden directory of ~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile).
Right click the .app file in the directory (double left click will also work).
This should kick off an install without error. It will be a full install (40GB) but it should run.
Start the game and login.

Good luck !

i think that finally worked!

thank you!
Yesterday was the first time I've heard about this game and decided to give it a try. I've spent a few hours trying to make it work, and eventually I've managed to launch it yesterday, but today the devs broke it again!

When you launch '/Applications/Path of Exile.app' it downloads an updated app, saves it into '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app' and tries to launch it. It fails because of codesigning problems. You can see the issue by running

"
codesign -vvvv '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app'

The problem is there are a bunch of hidden unsigned files inside the bundles with names starting with '._'.

They can be deleted by running

"
find '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app' -name '._*' -delete

Yesterday it solved the problem and the app was running normally. But today it doesn't help.

I see some error of log messages in the Console.app that the the OS tries to open the following files but they don't exist:

"

'~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app/Contents/Library'
'~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeRequirements-1'
'~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeRepSpecific'
'~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app/Contents/_CodeSignature/CodeTopDirectory'

I haven't found a way how to fix it yet and I've lost any interest to make further attempts.

Because absence of reaction from the devs, their inability to understand the root cause of the problem and making the matters worse and more difficult to fix, they display absolute incompetence and bad attitude towards their users. Someone should be fired for that, and I recommend everyone to write this game bad reviews and just go play Diablo instead of being treated like sh*t by the devs of this game.
I'm not even able to download the Mac file from this website, it says file is damaged as soon as i click open after downloading.

The only version I've been able to install/boot is from the Steam Client. When I finally do make it in game, I get "cannot connect to instance" when trying to load into the game after character select.

Mac M2
"
ex1l33 wrote:

Yesterday it solved the problem and the app was running normally. But today it doesn't help.

Because when a patch is released the update process happens all over again. This has been a known issue for since the MacOS after Monterey was released. It has been reported multiple times. If Mac users were the predominant user base it would have been resolved by now. Both MacOS and console users get the same priority behind Windows base - next to zero.
It's up to the player base to figure out a work around.

This is a free game. Because of that some players will put up with the poor support but it certainly doesn't attract new users and that is an issue GGG seem unable to understand and lack the resources to address properly. They aren't incompetent. You don't have a game such as they have if that were the case but they certainly lack the expertise to offer Mac and PS users a consistently useable platform, even after 12 years.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info