Game still won't open on M1 Mac...

"
Both MacOS and console users get the same priority behind Windows base - next to zero.

no. Console has higher priority than Mac. Console get real native port.

POE 1 with native Metal instead of running DX12 / Vulkan and all the PC based code in emulation via Rosella ? Hohoho, they promised to build a native build back when M1 was released. It is how many year before?

Hohoho PS5 finally get their native version.
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
Is there any chance that PoE could brick you entire computer? After constant problems with the game crashing, I saw someone mention restarting your computer. Hit restart and it never powered up again. All fixes suggested by the internet have failed to turn it back on
"
zrpm7 wrote:
This Method worked for me ----->

Step 1: Move to trash, "Path of Exile.app" in the Applications Folder, Move to trash Dmg, Empty Trash,
Restart.

Step 2: New Dmg, Install ---> Right click or Option Click "Path of Exile.app" in the Applications Folder
and select show package contents.

Step 3: click contents --> MacOS --> run the Path of Exile Unix Executable File - 3.1 MB
" Once you run it the terminal should show up and on the top it will show the directories the app
is using. You want to focus on the----->

****** Path of Exile folder set to /Users/yourUserName/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile. *****

<------- The important point here is "Path of Exile folder set to" ----. It might be different on different machines. the above path was for me.

Once the exe files finishes it will say corrupted move to trash, go ahead and do that. Then find the folder path based on the terminal. If you open Users and do not see the Library, Use CMD+Shift+period (.)
to show hidden folders.

Step 4: drag and drop the Path of Exile.app front the trash to the /Users/yourUserName/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile folder. Once dropped, right click or option click the Path of Exile.app and click open. then click Open anyway, and you are good to go. Just to clarify you are opening it in the /Users/yourUserName/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile folder where dragged it from the trash.

hope that helps. I am on Apple M1 Air 14.5 Sono

OMFG this actually worked. Thank you so much!!! I'm on M2 Ventura 13.3. Yeah the steam version isn't connecting
so sad :(
"
ex1l33 wrote:

When you launch '/Applications/Path of Exile.app' it downloads an updated app, saves it into '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app' and tries to launch it. It fails because of codesigning problems. You can see the issue by running

"
codesign -vvvv '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app'

The problem is there are a bunch of hidden unsigned files inside the bundles with names starting with '._'.

They can be deleted by running

"
find '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app' -name '._*' -delete

Those files are AppleDouble-format resource forks that contain the extended file attributes (like 'com.apple.provenance') that should be on the correspondingly-named files. Those dotfiles are present in the update.dat file (which is really just a ZIP file) that gets unpacked as the replacement 'Path Of Exile.app' in your '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile' directory. Because ZIP archives can't contain files with APFS extended file attributes, those attributes get stored in these special dotfiles inside the archive. Presumably whatever unzips the update.dat archive also then reapplies the extended file attributes back to the actual files they're supposed to be on.

As an aside, there's a "dot_clean" command line utility in MacOS for cleaning them up that is way better than your "find" command, because dot_clean also merges any xattrs on the files and any xattrs in the fork, choosing whichever one is newest.

"
Yesterday it solved the problem and the app was running normally.

That really shouldn't have helped, but holy shit it does. MacOS doesn't care about those ._* files. They pretty much only exist for the benefit of filesystems or archive formats that don't support extended file attributes or other Mac-specific file resources/metadata.

Hrm. I wonder if the installer's unpacker of the update.dat archive is failing to clean up the filesystem turds it leaves behind, and that's causing a code signature failure.

So, yeah. Removing all of those those metadata fork files from the unpacked replacement .app file allowed me to finally launch the game after five days.
Last edited by Tithonia on Jul 27, 2024, 12:04:31 PM
Something to explore :

I played 4 last leagues on Steam - Mac M1 - without much trouble and since this one, constant crash.

I then downloaded the Mac Client app, created a new account and it WORKS.

Obviously I don't have in this new account my stashes and stuff, but the prefs are exactly the same as my Steam version, and I can play without any problem...

Mac users, do you crash on client or on Steam ? On both ?

Are the methods described above works with Steam ?
Last edited by Hebus_2nd on Jul 27, 2024, 1:35:54 PM
"
Hebus_2nd wrote:
Something to explore :

I played 4 last leagues on Steam - Mac M1 - without much trouble and since this one, constant crash.

I then downloaded the Mac Client app, created a new account and it WORKS.

Obviously I don't have in this new account my stashes and stuff, but the prefs are exactly the same as my Steam version, and I can play without any problem...

Mac users, do you crash on client or on Steam ? On both ?

Are the methods described above works with Steam ?

you can login to website via Steam and then add an email.

Then you can use that email to login with the standalone non-Steam version.

Now you need to contact support to merge two accounts. And before that you need to chose where your in-game items to store in which account, and mule them yourself.
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

"
Tithonia wrote:
"
ex1l33 wrote:

Hrm. I wonder if the installer's unpacker of the update.dat archive is failing to clean up the filesystem turds it leaves behind, and that's causing a code signature failure.

I didn't touch those files in the workaround I used so those files aren't an issue, even if they are somehow left around from a failed update attempt. There is some very odd behaviour happening, on both standalone and steam client. The same workaround that works for me doesn't work for others and other suggested work around didn't work for me. The lack of codesigning is not generally an issue either. I did not encounter it and I have the Privacy settings configured for APP store or recognised developers only. I do not have to go in and select Install anyway.

MacOS has been updated and file system permissions and other things have changed. The GGG mac client has not. That however only affected clients running an OS newer than Monterey until recent;ly. There are nnow Monterey users who are now reporting issues as well which did not happen before. This can only be because of something in the GGG packages.

The client is old. It may not even have been written by GGG, or by someone no longer there. There is an artificial cap on FPS in the standalone client because someone didn't know how to build the code to manage higher FPS rates.

I will not be surprised if GGG, like Blizzard, drop Mac client support altogether in POE2. It's too much of a headache and clearly they do not have the in-house expertise to continue managing it.
its embarrassing how neglected the mac client have been
Apple is is disgusting company that able to run Office is an ad selling point in 2024

So that running other PC software is now not an essential feature of Mac now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info