Game still won't open on M1 Mac...

"
neohongkong wrote:
"
Hebus_2nd wrote:
Something to explore :

I played 4 last leagues on Steam - Mac M1 - without much trouble and since this one, constant crash.

I then downloaded the Mac Client app, created a new account and it WORKS.

Obviously I don't have in this new account my stashes and stuff, but the prefs are exactly the same as my Steam version, and I can play without any problem...

Mac users, do you crash on client or on Steam ? On both ?

Are the methods described above works with Steam ?

you can login to website via Steam and then add an email.

Then you can use that email to login with the standalone non-Steam version.

Now you need to contact support to merge two accounts. And before that you need to chose where your in-game items to store in which account, and mule them yourself.

Thanks for this, I contacted GGG support about linking my Steam account in Client and they answered "we are not currently offering email Technical Support, due to limited staff resources".

Were you referring to the Steam Support ?
I've found a new workaround!

Just downloaded a new installer, copied 'Path of Exile.app' both to '/Applications' and '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile' and launched the second one. Now it works.
m3 pro, macOS sequoia 15.0 doesnt connect in steam doesnt launch standalone. After years of league starts this will be the first one I miss.
I was able to normally install PoE today with Steam on my M2 pro and played ~4hrs, after taking a break I can not connect to login servers or I am disconnected on loading screen after choosing my character...anyone have any solution for that part? game worked really well on max details just this morning...

(does not matter which server I am choosing, trying rebooting-resetting-reeverything so many times and still can't play...)
"
Hebus_2nd wrote:
"
neohongkong wrote:
"
Hebus_2nd wrote:
Something to explore :

I played 4 last leagues on Steam - Mac M1 - without much trouble and since this one, constant crash.

I then downloaded the Mac Client app, created a new account and it WORKS.

Obviously I don't have in this new account my stashes and stuff, but the prefs are exactly the same as my Steam version, and I can play without any problem...

Mac users, do you crash on client or on Steam ? On both ?

Are the methods described above works with Steam ?

you can login to website via Steam and then add an email.

Then you can use that email to login with the standalone non-Steam version.

Now you need to contact support to merge two accounts. And before that you need to chose where your in-game items to store in which account, and mule them yourself.

Thanks for this, I contacted GGG support about linking my Steam account in Client and they answered "we are not currently offering email Technical Support, due to limited staff resources".

Were you referring to the Steam Support ?

Try it a month after then....

Ggg seems pay not enough on staffing
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
Last edited by neohongkong on Jul 28, 2024, 12:41:55 AM
"
Tithonia wrote:
"
ex1l33 wrote:

When you launch '/Applications/Path of Exile.app' it downloads an updated app, saves it into '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app' and tries to launch it. It fails because of codesigning problems. You can see the issue by running

"
codesign -vvvv '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app'

The problem is there are a bunch of hidden unsigned files inside the bundles with names starting with '._'.

They can be deleted by running

"
find '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile/Path of Exile.app' -name '._*' -delete

Those files are AppleDouble-format resource forks that contain the extended file attributes (like 'com.apple.provenance') that should be on the correspondingly-named files. Those dotfiles are present in the update.dat file (which is really just a ZIP file) that gets unpacked as the replacement 'Path Of Exile.app' in your '~/Library/Application Support/Path of Exile' directory. Because ZIP archives can't contain files with APFS extended file attributes, those attributes get stored in these special dotfiles inside the archive. Presumably whatever unzips the update.dat archive also then reapplies the extended file attributes back to the actual files they're supposed to be on.

As an aside, there's a "dot_clean" command line utility in MacOS for cleaning them up that is way better than your "find" command, because dot_clean also merges any xattrs on the files and any xattrs in the fork, choosing whichever one is newest.

"
Yesterday it solved the problem and the app was running normally.

That really shouldn't have helped, but holy shit it does. MacOS doesn't care about those ._* files. They pretty much only exist for the benefit of filesystems or archive formats that don't support extended file attributes or other Mac-specific file resources/metadata.

Hrm. I wonder if the installer's unpacker of the update.dat archive is failing to clean up the filesystem turds it leaves behind, and that's causing a code signature failure.

So, yeah. Removing all of those those metadata fork files from the unpacked replacement .app file allowed me to finally launch the game after five days.

Can you help me understand what it would look like to use the dot_clean command in this case? Deleting to trash and moving to the lib folder got me through Act two and now I'm back to scratching my head QQ
"

Can you help me understand what it would look like to use the dot_clean command in this case? Deleting to trash and moving to the lib folder got me through Act two and now I'm back to scratching my head QQ

I'm not sure it matters now. I finally got in today and played up to Act 4, but the recent Hotfix 7 required a client update and it's now broken again for me and I can't fix it this time.
"
Tithonia wrote:
"

I'm not sure it matters now. I finally got in today and played up to Act 4, but the recent Hotfix 7 required a client update and it's now broken again for me and I can't fix it this time.
same
have same problem :( cant figure it out...
Yesterday all work, today i have "FAILED TO CONNECT TO INSTANCE"
I am waiting for this sesaon so long and now i so disappointed...

M3 Macbook Sonoma
"
Autopsyzzz wrote:
OK I found a way :

- launch the game until you get the bin message
- clic on send to bin
- drag and drop from the bin the poe back inside Library/application support/path of exile
- rename the Redist folder (Old_Redist)
- option+right clic on poe you moved back from bin and clic open
- open anyway
- patch should be around 100+m
- game should launch normally, also it's a permanent fix and you can go back to using shortcut to launch.

Thank you very much!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info