what PC do i need to play the game

No amount of hardware upgrades can solve issues due to un-optimised code.

"
"
xfiendmate wrote:
ive been playing the game on this rig for years...now its unplayable

what changed?
PoE is no longer the game you have been playing for years. Whenever performance comes up people are quick to dismiss it as a 10 year old game. It is not. PoE is fairly modern nowadays and your quad core cpu from the last decade just isn't cutting it anymore. Neither is 8GB of ram in 2023. Heck, even 16GB is cutting it close nowadays.

You can get in the used market for AM4 for relatively cheap now. Something like a b450/b550 board, 5800X3D and 16/32GB of DDR4 ram (3200 to 3600MHz CL16) paired with a 3060 or 4060 doesn't break the bank and will last you for years to come.

hoho

I disagree that PoE is a modern game. There are some graphical effects slapped onto the base game but most of the models and textures remain the same from 10 years ago. If anything, those new effects are so poorly done that they result in horrible performance.

This can be easily checked by the fact that you get the same performance issues in the starting areas and in any end-game areas that were released more recently.

An example is D3 which was released around the same time as PoE. It still plays on the same hardware from 10 years ago.
Ah yes, D3! The pinnacle of game design lmao.
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
"
xfiendmate wrote:
ive been playing the game on this rig for years...now its unplayable

what changed?

They somehow introduced so called multi-threading bug into the code of the game a year or two ago.

Some PCs are affected by the bug and some are not.

You can determine if your PC is affected by doing following steps:

When in the game, go to some area with minimal load on CPU, - Act 1 first waypont for example or your hideout, even login screen will do. Press F1 to see CPU performance stats (red line). Then open Options, scroll to the bottom, there's line called "Engine Multithreading". Switch engine multithreading on and off and watch how it affects your CPU performance.

If you have heavy CPU load and multiple CPU stutters and spikes when "Engine Multithreading" are ON and none of that when it is OFF then your PC affected by that bug.

You can somewhat fix it though, go to Technical Support forum (or Reddit) and read how to make a power plan for your PC with CPU C-States disabled, it helps.
Last edited by Beglets on Dec 14, 2023, 5:52:21 PM
P.S. And besides that, after multiple patches which were supposed to "optimize the engine performance", make it faster and better, we now have CPU load like 3 times more than 3 years ago.
Last edited by Beglets on Dec 14, 2023, 5:35:52 PM
I think GGG just unable to create proper game engine.

It should license some 3rd party game engine for PoE.
"
ArtCrusade wrote:

Diablo may be a bad game since D3 and Blizzard is a shitty company for sure but their game engine is okay.

Unlike GGG's game engine.
"
hasatt0 wrote:
I disagree that PoE is a modern game. There are some graphical effects slapped onto the base game but most of the models and textures remain the same from 10 years ago.
You can disagree all you want but that doesn't change the fact that the underlying tech has evolved and advanced tremendously since then. I also disagree, the game looks nothing like it did 10 years ago.
PoE 2013
Spoiler

PoE 2023
Spoiler
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/artcrusader
"
ArtCrusade wrote:

Only talking about hardware requirements, not game design.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info