[3.25] The Lazy Nova - Archmage MoM Crit Ice Nova of Frostbolts with Svalinn

"
NVB43 wrote:

Thanks, ended up finding this. Looking for a corrupted helm now.

That looks like a nice upgrade! Congrats

If there is room, don't be afraid to use an exalted orb on it. You might get lucky and get something you need as a 6th affix
I have fixed issues mentioned by Andy last time. I have gotten power charge corruption Kitava, gotten better cluster jewel, corrupted blood immunity Jewel, spell/attack capped, Bottled Faith, fixed flask giving increased Armor and just purchased Cloak of Defiance with reduced extra damage from critical hits corruption. I'm now crit and corrupted blood immune.

https://pobb.in/mbGkS05SXbVr

I suppose my next upgrade has to be the wand. Unfortunately, wands costing 40d are only 3 or 4% better. I might need to save up 100d for a noticeable upgrade.

Desktop POB is showing 59m damage against Pinnacle Bosses. Surely that number can't be right? I tried to do normal Infinite Hunger last night and I didn't phase him quickly, I would think with this much damage normal Infinte Hunger would be phased in few seconds.

Finally, it's pretty impressive Svallin build can do so much with a budget of 50d (total cost of my current gear, jewels, flasks etc).
Last edited by periperi2 on Sep 3, 2024, 8:30:04 PM
"
periperi2 wrote:

Desktop POB is showing 59m damage against Pinnacle Bosses. Surely that number can't be right? I tried to do normal Infinite Hunger last night and I didn't phase him quickly, I would think with this much damage normal Infinte Hunger would be phased in few seconds.

OK this an excellent time to make some things very clear here when comparing a POB to actual game play.

I strongly caution people that the config we use is for consistency sake to make comparing POB's easier, and not as much about the exact performance you will see in the game.

Lets take your POB as a practical example and break it down.

The damage you see in POB is under absolute optimal conditions.

-In your POB, lets assume that neither Frost Shield or Sigil have proced (which against a single target is not uncommon due to simply there not being a lot of times we block AND the fact that we move a lot getting us away from Frost Shield even if it did proc).

So the 59m POB DPS in that case quickly drops to 47m.

- You are also unlikely to be hitting 50% shock with your gear against a Pinnacle boss. So in reality you are likely much closer to 25 shock effect. That drops you down to 41 million.

-You also have a slightly incorrect Custom modifier for Punishment. That number should be 60% or more. Putting it at 60% drops you down to 39m.

- Most importantly, our damage is based on exploding across 4 frost bolts, twice (due to spell echo). But if you are using GMP, your projectiles are probably spreading far too wide to all over lap a single target (this is dependent on how far away you are standing)*

So depending on where you are standing, your damage could easily be only 4 explosions hitting the single target instead of the 8 we show in the POB, which would now lower your damage to 19m.

- Much of the damage comes from the silver, Diamond and Bottled Faith flasks, but the up time of those is no where near 100% against a single target pinnacle (they have a much higher up time while mapping). When one, or all of these flasks are inactive, your DPS drops even more.

You can see where I am going here :)

Note that this issue is not specific to this build. This happens in every build and every POB where the numbers are typically generated under optimal conditions.

* Note that this is why some of us prefer Greater Volley over GMP as it's pattern has a stronger likelihood of overlapped damage when compared to GMP's pattern.

Last edited by AndyLovesHisBge on Sep 3, 2024, 10:48:30 PM
"

Yeah, it explains why my damage against Infinite Hunger was lacklustre compared to mapping where my character thrives. I don't really like bossing I was showing my brother how OP this build is only for my character to embarras my claim lol.

"

* Note that this is why some of us prefer Greater Volley over GMP as it's pattern has a stronger likelihood of overlapped damage when compared to GMP's pattern.

I will look into swapping over.
After a good shipment in Kingsmarch, I treated myself to this beauty, which now allows me to upgrade my current corrupted blood jewel.

"
After a good shipment in Kingsmarch, I treated myself to this beauty, which now allows me to upgrade my current corrupted blood jewel.

And here is the upgrade. Triple crit multi roll

"
periperi2 wrote:
"

Yeah, it explains why my damage against Infinite Hunger was lacklustre compared to mapping where my character thrives. I don't really like bossing I was showing my brother how OP this build is only for my character to embarras my claim lol.

and I should also say that I did not even get into map mods.

I have no idea what map mods you ran against the boss but there are mods that which we don't care about too much in T16's will make you look like you hit with a wet noodle against a Pinacle boss.

For example I just ran a T16 map that had 109% chance for the Monsters to supress spell damage. That means my damage, before taking into account anything else, was reduced by 50% right off the bat.

So you can imagine what happens when you start stacking a couple of bad map mods and some of the conditions I mentioned above.
Fully configured POB: https://pobb.in/2BoDTrS7RfUc

I recently bought a Badge of Brotherhood + Ralakesh's Impatience, and although the increased damage is nice, the additional cast speed and loss of Foiable has created some mana sustain issues that I can't seem to fix. Some solutions I've tried:

- allocated several mana masteries (% reduced mana cost, chance to recover mana on skill, recover mana when using a guard skill)
- bought a militant faith with % reduced mana cost per devotion
- tried using a rare jewel with % increased mana regeneration (didn't do much so I removed it)
- put assassin's mark in Kitava's thirst
- bought a watcher's eye without % increased cast speed while affected by Zealotry
- equipped ring with % reduced mana cost

One thing I haven't tried yet is to use clarity with arrogance support. It lowers my health to 1900, but the max hit is still relatively high. Is it possibly worth the health and gem socket cost? If I do, I can buy a watcher's eye with mana recovery as well. Another strategy is to take the "damage recouped as mana" mastery. Any word on how effective it is? Any advice is appreciated. I have about 70 raw div to work with if necessary.

Side note: I've taken the "chance to open nearby chests" caster mastery since I'm farming abyss right now.
"
"
periperi2 wrote:

OK this an excellent time to make some things very clear here when comparing a POB to actual game play.

I strongly caution people that the config we use is for consistency sake to make comparing POB's easier, and not as much about the exact performance you will see in the game.

Lets take your POB as a practical example and break it down.

The damage you see in POB is under absolute optimal conditions.

-In your POB, lets assume that neither Frost Shield or Sigil have proced (which against a single target is not uncommon due to simply there not being a lot of times we block AND the fact that we move a lot getting us away from Frost Shield even if it did proc).

So the 59m POB DPS in that case quickly drops to 47m.

- You are also unlikely to be hitting 50% shock with your gear against a Pinnacle boss. So in reality you are likely much closer to 25 shock effect. That drops you down to 41 million.

-You also have a slightly incorrect Custom modifier for Punishment. That number should be 60% or more. Putting it at 60% drops you down to 39m.

- Most importantly, our damage is based on exploding across 4 frost bolts, twice (due to spell echo). But if you are using GMP, your projectiles are probably spreading far too wide to all over lap a single target (this is dependent on how far away you are standing)*

So depending on where you are standing, your damage could easily be only 4 explosions hitting the single target instead of the 8 we show in the POB, which would now lower your damage to 19m.

- Much of the damage comes from the silver, Diamond and Bottled Faith flasks, but the up time of those is no where near 100% against a single target pinnacle (they have a much higher up time while mapping). When one, or all of these flasks are inactive, your DPS drops even more.

Note that this issue is not specific to this build. This happens in every build and every POB where the numbers are typically generated under optimal conditions.

And to add to that, remenber Kitava only procs frostbolts 50% of the times. I noticed that switching from double wand to Svallin decreases our cast speed by a substantial amount that actually makes this noticeable. Sometimes I'm standing there casting a good 1/2 seconds without a freaking frostbolt proccing. RNG being RNG

Even then, with "only" 100M DPS in POB (without the final wand enchant), yesterday I got to 98 and decided to finish the T17 challenges (was only missing citadel), did uber uber, did uber eater of worlds, and I managed to die once or twice cause I suck at the mechanics. DPS in the build is just insane, considering the ammount of defense layers we have.
Last edited by ruialmeida on Sep 4, 2024, 3:57:08 AM
"
TypingInChat wrote:
Fully configured POB: https://pobb.in/2BoDTrS7RfUc

I recently bought a Badge of Brotherhood + Ralakesh's Impatience, and although the increased damage is nice, the additional cast speed and loss of Foiable has created some mana sustain issues that I can't seem to fix. Some solutions I've tried:

- allocated several mana masteries (% reduced mana cost, chance to recover mana on skill, recover mana when using a guard skill)
- bought a militant faith with % reduced mana cost per devotion
- tried using a rare jewel with % increased mana regeneration (didn't do much so I removed it)
- put assassin's mark in Kitava's thirst
- bought a watcher's eye without % increased cast speed while affected by Zealotry
- equipped ring with % reduced mana cost

One thing I haven't tried yet is to use clarity with arrogance support. It lowers my health to 1900, but the max hit is still relatively high. Is it possibly worth the health and gem socket cost? If I do, I can buy a watcher's eye with mana recovery as well. Another strategy is to take the "damage recouped as mana" mastery. Any word on how effective it is? Any advice is appreciated. I have about 70 raw div to work with if necessary.

Side note: I've taken the "chance to open nearby chests" caster mastery since I'm farming abyss right now.

Not sure if it's worth, but you can try swithing the annoint to Mind Drinker at the cost of +1 power charge/+1 curse we can apply from Infused. That's probably enough mana regen that can revert some of the solutions you tried, to compensate the DPS loss.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info