I Don't Understand POE Trade

"
DopeyFishX wrote:
sometimes they're price fixers

but also they're the lowest price, so if they aren't price fixing they are likely overloaded with requests

yeah exactly. theres times i just want to get my currency sold asap cause maybe im trying to buy an item and i dont want it to vanish on me. so ill price my currency or juice or whatever quite competitively and bam, i get hit with 20 whispers in the space of 5 seconds...

yeah one guy is getting the sale and you know what, im not actually gonna whisper back the other 19 people and explain that its already sold cause i presume they have already whispered another 5 people.

i know it sucks. again this league too, if someone is in a map and they have put in maybe 30 chaos of sextants and 20 chaos of scarabs and theyre in some crazy fight with an abyssal tower in a map on the verge of crashing with so much currency on the floor? you cant really blame them for passing on answering a whisper.

i know its annoying but honestly the easier you make trade the more people will trade so the more power will come from trade and the more the game will have to be balanced around trading. i know its ugly but i dont rly think they should make it easier.

i kind of hate it, i get peoples issues. example i feel like i cant delve, i like delving but esp when im back chilling on standard league if i delve i get a trade whisper, what do i do? if i dont answer it right away and be there people just message the next guy listing. if i delve for an hour right away ive probably lost 5 divines in trades. i cant afford to play delve in standard, i just cant, i just lose so much money because im unable to port out and trade the way i can in an alch and go map.
The entire trade system is designed (or undesigned as the case may be) in a way that encourages toxic behavior on both sides if the transaction.

Whispering 20 sellers at a time knowing that AT BEST you'll be blowing off 19 of them is toxic. But even if you insist that the current system isn't exactly designed to encourage it, there's certainly nothing designed to discourage it. The toxicity is welcomed into the system. Just part of the "friction".

Some of you have said that you hate it when sellers ignore whispers because they're too busy to leave their map to respond.

I do that sometimes, but not because I want to. Sometimes I would happily leave to make a sale, but I can't for a short period (because I'm in an Incursion, or an Ultimatum, or any of a hundred other similar situations).

Am I supposed to delist all my items just to go into Alva's temple? And then relist afterwards? Or permanently leave my items delisted while I'm mapping? Fuck that, I want to play the game. And I want to trade. The trade system encourages me to be toxic. The toxicity is built into the design. More "friction".

There are dozens of small changes that could be done to make the system better (less toxic), without resorting to a full-blown auction house. But GGG insists on holding on to their archaic and misguided "trade manifesto" ideas, for fear that anything else would be worse. That thinking ... how boring and small.

In the meantime, when a seller ignores your whisper, blame GGG, not the player.

When a player abandons the party after you've left your map, blame GGG, not the player.

When you're tempted to "despise" the players (as somebody earlier in the thread put it) who exhibit any of these toxic behaviors, despise GGG, or at least GGG's trade system, not the players. They're just doing what they're encouraged to do. They're the friction.

- here's my sig
answered, I think.
~
The Mirror of Kalandra and user retention (view-thread/3489839)
Why not throw the ring into the sea? (view-thread/3488268)
Beware of misinformation on good leagues (view-thread/3514952)
Last edited by BlackMarshes212 on Jan 10, 2024, 6:01:19 AM
that manifesto is filled with logical fallacies and reads like someone who just speaks to yes men all day long. many people have pointed this out over the years, and CW just does not care. He thinks trade is AOK as it is. The only thing that will ever change that is if CW leaves. I am fairly sure he is the ONLY one at GGG who thinks this is a good idea.
"
Alkon20 wrote:
that manifesto is filled with logical fallacies and reads like someone who just speaks to yes men all day long. many people have pointed this out over the years, and CW just does not care. He thinks trade is AOK as it is. The only thing that will ever change that is if CW leaves. I am fairly sure he is the ONLY one at GGG who thinks this is a good idea.

Even though I'm critical against GGG in some aspects, the game is what it is right now only because of Chris Wilson and his parters/employees.

Many people will disagree with him in this and that, but there's not a single scenario where he leaving would be, in my opinion, good to the game at any point.
♣ IGN: DoctaMagicFinder
♣ My YouTube channel: youtube.com/doctagaming
♠ Proud brazilian player.
never said it was good for the game for him to leave, so that is a straw man . I said trade will never change as long as he is there.
Did I miss something? Did Chris Wilson leave?
I just wish we could have an AH for currency.

Because when you trade currency, you either spam dozen and dozen of people or you get spammed by dozen of person
"
Aynix wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:

But also, when we have a trade mechanic where you have to leave your map (and use a portal) to make a trade - in a league that gives you more currency per time spent in your map than any other league, people just can't be bothered to answer low currency trades; it's just not worth their time.

I despise people like that. If you wont bother leaving map for such trade, dont list item at all. I dont bother with anything belowe 10c so I dont list anything below 10c.
Worst kind of players.

I Think this is an unfair call. Having so many tabs of items listed, you can't just re-arrange your tabs to take things offline because you don't want to offend someone by taking more than 10 seconds to respond while mapping. For many, mapping this league is more engaging than ever before, and so expecting them to stop what they're doing, when they can just reply in a minute or so is unreasonable.

On the Flip side, I experienced the OP's exact issue yesterday. Literally only the bottom 3 sellers for Div to Chaos were willing to sell.

The best way imo to get items is to filter by most recently listed, then by price. If someone listed 6 minutes ago, it's likely they're going to be genuinely selling that item.
No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
"
hmcg020 wrote:
"
Aynix wrote:
"
Phrazz wrote:

But also, when we have a trade mechanic where you have to leave your map (and use a portal) to make a trade - in a league that gives you more currency per time spent in your map than any other league, people just can't be bothered to answer low currency trades; it's just not worth their time.

I despise people like that. If you wont bother leaving map for such trade, dont list item at all. I dont bother with anything belowe 10c so I dont list anything below 10c.
Worst kind of players.

I Think this is an unfair call. Having so many tabs of items listed, you can't just re-arrange your tabs to take things offline because you don't want to offend someone by taking more than 10 seconds to respond while mapping. For many, mapping this league is more engaging than ever before, and so expecting them to stop what they're doing, when they can just reply in a minute or so is unreasonable.

No. Then list items for the price you are ready to stop ur maps for. If you wont bother with 10c items, dont list them. If you wnt bother with 100c items, dont list them. Simple. People like that are ones who is making trade experience miserable. People like taht are reason why we need to PM 20 people before we get a single reply.
Last edited by Aynix on Jan 17, 2024, 3:22:46 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info