Path of Exile 2 wants to be the Dark Souls of ARPG

"
Peon wrote:
"
MildorDArkehn wrote:
Is this a joke or something? Dark Souls are totally skill based, PoE is totally gear based and don't think that PoE2 will be any different.

In an IGN Interview Jonathan specifically mentioned this kind of direction: "we're going more in the kind of like Elden Ring sort of direction."

Even if the demos at Exilecon were slowed down, I think it is quite reasonable to say that they are designing POE 2 to be some kind of "the Dark Souls of ARPG"

They absolutely are turning it into dark souls. Pound away on bosses for 5-10 minutes and dodge roll or get 1 shot and try again!
Last edited by Jradlot21 on Jul 30, 2023, 1:21:55 PM
"
leto2626 wrote:
"
"
leto2626 wrote:
I had this fear since first ExileCon, and now with a minutes long bossfight in every ... single .. zone, this 100% confirmed it.
I'm not a typical zoomer player, I play relatively slow, but I don't play hack&slash games to hit bullet spunges most of the time. I want to feel powerful and slay tens or hundreds of monsters almost all the time. The '100+ NEW BOSSES' really killed literally every hype I had. I don't want to play Hades 1k hours per year, that is for sure.
The only highlight for me was the stuff that we will be able to do with skills and the passive tree, that's breaths PoE, but all the rest felt so off, it feels way off the game I love right now.

No it is NOT confirmed. For god's sake. Stop and THINK as a MARKETING director for a second. You want to SHOW something at an event, you want people to see the mechanics. To do that you Make it happen as SLOWLY and spaced as possible!

Not doing it would be stupid, because would be to throw out their most valuable marketing moment

Honestly I see it the opposite way around, making boss fights a central point at ExileCon (heck even with inviting guests trying to kill a boss within 5 minutes) is bad marketing IF that's not what they intend the game to be. If the game won't be as slow eventually, (at least the boss fights, I don't mind the rest), they shouldn't make it look it like that in every footage sown over two days. To me that means these bosses will be 50% of our time playing the game, effectively. It's bad marketing to upset many of us, so that's why I think it's not marketing but the effective image of the game they want to make. I think it's naive to believe the game will effectively be way faster and blame it on the lack of gear etc in the demo. I'd be really surprised they made that mistake after 4 years of preparation to show us their progress.
I'm not a zoomer at all, slower is better for me, but not with what's looking like a semi pinnacle boss in every single zone, that's a definition of another genre of games.

Their marketing is not for you.. that has already spent a lot on them and already plays their game. Marketing is mostly to attract NEW players that would not understand anything if they saw the typical POE 1 end content.

Want an example? Check eve online trailers.. they have ZERO in common with the real fleet gameplay, because real fleet gameplay is impossible to understand for a non initiated.

POE 2 will be way slower than POE 1 that is stated by them (and I am so glad about it, I am willing to once again spend in the game because exactly of that). But one cannot say it is confirmed you will take several minutes per boss. You cannot make such assessment yet!

You really think specific bosses time to kill are adjusted and finals 1.5 years before the release? It is extremely unlikely that there are ANY values on this game that will not be changed before release. I for once want the game SLOW, and I hope it to be slow. But I cannot, neither any of you can, say that bosses will take X minutes to kill! We do not have enough information for that!
Last edited by Urza_Mechwalker on Jul 30, 2023, 1:34:40 PM
"
Jradlot21 wrote:
"
Peon wrote:
"
MildorDArkehn wrote:
Is this a joke or something? Dark Souls are totally skill based, PoE is totally gear based and don't think that PoE2 will be any different.

In an IGN Interview Jonathan specifically mentioned this kind of direction: "we're going more in the kind of like Elden Ring sort of direction."

Even if the demos at Exilecon were slowed down, I think it is quite reasonable to say that they are designing POE 2 to be some kind of "the Dark Souls of ARPG"

They absolutely are turning it into dark souls. Pound away on bosses for 5-10 minutes and dodge roll or get 1 shot and try again!

This game is so extensive hmmm there will always be a way to kill the boss faster you just need to test it a bit it will be fine it's not dark souls
"
You really think specific bosses time to kill are adjusted and finals 1.5 years before the release? It is extremely unlikely that there are ANY values on this game that will not be changed before release. I for once want the game SLOW, and I hope it to be slow. But I cannot, neither any of you can, say that bosses will take X minutes to kill! We do not have enough information for that!

I can follow you now, I do indeed feel the urge to let the 1,5 years play out and see how it turns out, but I'll be honest it has been an internal struggle for me. I guess it's the fear of losing touch with the game I love.
I do like slower gameplay and I'll try to hope the long bossfight we've seen will not be the whole game in 1,5-2 years.
I just wanted to point out that Dark souls IS an arpg. Just to make things more confusing.
"
ladish wrote:
I just wanted to point out that Dark souls IS an arpg. Just to make things more confusing.

Dark Souls is a skill-based combat action game. Path of Exile is a loot-based, hack & slash action rpg. Not really the same thing.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
leto2626 wrote:

Honestly I see it the opposite way around, making boss fights a central point at ExileCon (heck even with inviting guests trying to kill a boss within 5 minutes) is bad marketing IF that's not what they intend the game to be. If the game won't be as slow eventually, (at least the boss fights, I don't mind the rest), they shouldn't make it look it like that in every footage sown over two days. To me that means these bosses will be 50% of our time playing the game, effectively. It's bad marketing to upset many of us, so that's why I think it's not marketing but the effective image of the game they want to make. I think it's naive to believe the game will effectively be way faster and blame it on the lack of gear etc in the demo. I'd be really surprised they made that mistake after 4 years of preparation to show us their progress.
I'm not a zoomer at all, slower is better for me, but not with what's looking like a semi pinnacle boss in every single zone, that's a definition of another genre of games.

What do you think makes for more thrilling, more eye-catching and alluring marketing imagery for people who aren't ARPG people?

A character doing all kinds of awesome acrobatic moves and flashy attacks against a huge, impressive monster that's unleashing visceral, massively impactful blows that make your sphincter clench just to watch?
-OR-
A character that barely animates at all T-Posing through a map at the speed of sound, destroying monsters before those monsters can properly appear on the screen and before anybody watching can see or recognize that those monsters are, technically, a threat?

I've said it before, I'll say it again - Religion of Zoom "gameplay" is utterly, 100% unwatchable to anyone who is not, themselves, fully indoctrinated into the Religion of Zoom. If you are not one of Those People, footage of a Religion of Zoom character doing its thing is nothing more than a drug-addled, incomprehensible LSD trip of flashing lights, random sounds, and utter visual chaos. Non-RoZ people watching it would be confused and turned off entirely without having any idea what it was they'd just seen.

[Removed by Support]
Last edited by JamesM_GGG on Jul 30, 2023, 6:42:34 PM
Didn’t they use blue weapons on lvl 40+ characters and 2link gems? Bosses will die much faster when game is live imo, was just for showing mechanics/Grafics/effects etc. for presentation.
imagine them showing boss fights where it dies in a minute and 1hitting trash on new areas… boring af lol.

I personally love meaningful boss fights tbh especially when encountering them the first time but let’s be honest they will die as fast as poe1 campaign bosses after a few times doing them and leagues adding power creep
Because it would be a great Preview for POE 2 to have a build enter boss room, Kill it in sub 30 seconds and pick up loot and move on.

Riiiiight....
"
Reinhart wrote:
"
ladish wrote:

Dark Souls is a skill-based combat action game. Path of Exile is a loot-based, hack & slash action rpg. Not really the same thing.

mental gymnastics aside.. they are both technically arpgs.. which was my only real point here.
Last edited by ladish on Jul 30, 2023, 7:53:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info