Path of Exile 2 wants to be the Dark Souls of ARPG

While watching Marc/Octavian boss demonstration

Positive
Very nice introduction to a new boss.
Top notch boss art in a well designed coherent setting.
Really well done animations.
Boss has several cool attacks.

Negative
Boss fights take too long which makes failing them that much easier. Will be frustrating in the end. Dark Souls players will love it but I am no fan of Dark Souls.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
Last bumped on Jul 31, 2023, 1:50:19 PM
So, we're seeing PoE II make the same mistake D4 did (in D4's case, adding MMO elements), trying to be something it's not? =9[.]9=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Last edited by Raycheetah on Jul 29, 2023, 4:10:37 PM
"
Raycheetah wrote:
So, we're seeing PoE II make the same mistake D4 did (in D4's case, adding MMO elements), trying to be something it's not? =9[.]9=

Indeed. Like you, I am pretty sad about it, Ray.
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
"
Reinhart wrote:

Negative
Boss fights take too long which makes failing them that much easier. Will be frustrating in the end. Dark Souls players will love it but I am no fan of Dark Souls.

Have you noticed how bad some of the items during the streamer gameplay segments are? Mathil's weapon was a 1mod blue item at level 45.

This is intentional to show off boss abilities and character animations.
I noticed they don't have support gems and have unused skill points, in the real game can you also simply overlevel a boss. Like leveling to level 17 before fighting a level 15 boss(will propably also give you some gear upgrades)
I don't know why everybody expects that every boss ever up to and including Ultra Uber Pinnacle Endgamest-of-Endgame bosses should die in two seconds or less. That's a severe weakness of Path 1, not a "strength".

But, again - these are unknown janky-ass builds using suboptimal skills and essentially random items with dead gods know what sort of passive tree allocation in a demo deliberately cranked up for meme factor. Note that Mark also said the team is being quite careful to ensure that no boss is so hard it stymies progress. The Siren thing was straight-up content walling fifty percent of players and they removed some of her mechanics because that was deemed unacceptable.

These things are meant to be defeated. They're just asking you to work for it a little first, rather than blithely walk over the boss without even noticing you're fighting a 'boss' in the first place.
This idea is not going to work.... Just watched the Boss presentation.... 10 minutes to kill a normal zone boss.... That's ridiculous. There is 100 Bosses... 100 x 10-15 minutes of dodging and running in tiny arenas for boss fights........ Even a pack of white mobs takes 3-6 hits to clear. Going to take days Just to get through the campaign......
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die. " ~ Hunter S Thompson ~
Last edited by Marinxar on Jul 29, 2023, 4:32:21 PM
"
Reinhart wrote:

Negative

My issue with that is that it's going to feel worse than running the current PoE campaign to recollect your essentials with every league. Sure it's going to be fun the first couple of times across all the new classes and stuff, but it's going to get quite stale and people want to just enjoy new introduced league content rather than spending hours in the campaign area to collect important stuff over and over again, or revisit it later in to out power the boss fights.

Everything looks really great design wise, but just like D4 did PoE really needed this mmo like boss fight like "complexity"?
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun.
Last edited by Pashid on Jul 29, 2023, 4:37:48 PM
"
Marinxar wrote:
This idea is not going to work.... Just watched the Boss presentation.... 10 minutes to kill a normal zone boss.... That's ridiculous. There is 100 Bosses... 100 x 10-15 minutes of dodging and running in tiny arenas for boss fights........ Even a pack of white mobs takes 3-6 hits to clear. Going to take days Just to get through the campaign......

So true, preach, we will forever have 1 link skills and blue items and 10 allocated skill points
VAC RGL RGI SOE DCC
"
Reinhart wrote:
Negative

The clients people are playing on at exile con are tuned harder than would be normal, so more health, more damage. and from what it looked like you have a very basic talent tree and unoptimized gear.

I'd recommend that people stop with the knee-jerk initial reactions to something that they are misunderstanding and have no where near enough info to make an even slightly educate guess at what the game will be like let alone a year + from now
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info