The Plague that is GGG's "Trade" system. & the Predatory dance feeding its lowkey P2W mechanism.

I'm with the OP here regarding how bad the trade system is (by intention as they stated).
They say it's by design also the philosophy is not to have automatic sorting in the stash and a very basic filter.

The reasons the auction house esp the real money AH in D3 was hated are
a) it was about real currency.
b) they used it as a excuse for their always online paradigma which players disliked.
c) AH is useless because the itemization in D3 is bad. Also AH draws attention to this fact so they removed both AH.

"
trixxar wrote:
No game will be perfect. All have strengths and weaknesses and dumpster fires.

Trade in this game is a dumpster fire, always will be.

We could trade 1,000 arguments (and we have) but at the end of the day, its slightly amazing to me that anyone, dev or player, gets behind the idea that gating mechanics by creating intentionally frustrating, clunky, and annoying mechanics is a good idea.

we are not trading arguments, people who wants an AH offer no solutions (unless you actually want lower droprates and bind on equip. but then suddenly its a whole lot of less people who will find the idea attractive) to the issue of increasing supply while everyone knows our stashes are full of stuff we cant be bothered to sell or dont know the value of

you cant ignore facts and just go "naaaah dont think thatll happen, lets do it anyway somehow" increased supply, lower value and saturated demand thats how it works and no reason to think PoE will be the only exception to this

you either want an AH with limitations and fundamentally change the game or you accept that the trade is like this for a reason and it works well
GGG is so ass backwards in this area, they have a really fun game but do all kinds of things to add irritation and take the fun away in order to manipulate players to pay money, mainly from tabs. Just do the fun things for the players to enable them to have fun playing the game, more players will have more fun, more players will play, more community will build, more cosmetics will be bought. It's not that hard look at League of Legends despite gross mismanagement of many aspects like Esports for many years without even advertisements during blank air time during breaks (they just show blank screen, lmao), they still have made a crapload of money far more than GGG.

Cut out the small time-y, small mind-y, corner hustler that thinks he's fooling everyone bullshippy. This game would be way more fun and popular without all the jive. Like, in the current state I really can't recommend it to anyone because I have to start explaining about buying tabs, all the different tabs, all the weird third party crap required to do trading, all the weird confusing bullcrap in the game associated with creating the need for players to buy tabs.

F2P isn't the only way to go, it could also be something like two week free play then pay $30 to unlock unlimited, plus you have "supporter pack" and other cosmetic MTX still in the game. There are different ways to do this, but the obvious problem with the current GGG paradigm is it is having a negative impact on the game design choices and how fun the game is to play, that's clearly a bad thing.
"
Chaoslord_AJ wrote:
I'm with the OP here regarding how bad the trade system is (by intention as they stated).
They say it's by design also the philosophy is not to have automatic sorting in the stash and a very basic filter.

The reasons the auction house esp the real money AH in D3 was hated are
a) it was about real currency.
b) they used it as a excuse for their always online paradigma which players disliked.
c) AH is useless because the itemization in D3 is bad. Also AH draws attention to this fact so they removed both AH.

a) the only issue with it being about real money was that you cant sell anything with no value. if there is alot of an item it has no value. and with hundreds of thousand of player there is alot of items dropping. it all goes on the AH when its easy and the only items that will be worth selling will have to be so incredibly rare that you are unlikely to ever be the person who actually find it while playing

you have exactly this issue wether its real money or ingame currency like in PoE

b) was a non issue for alot of players. characters that can be played offline and online needs to be saved locally and can be modified, and this was already something we had to accept in other games

c) itemization was bad because of the AH. droprates need to be really low to maintain value when you got alot of players and they dont need to worry about pricing it (no b/o) or its just so simple and fast that why not?
i would love to see some improvement in the trading system but if you think from their point of view it's not that hard to understand.

you run a very unique business for a decade and it overwhelming success and then some random kids who barely know anything show up and try to teach you how to do your business, are you gonna change how you do your business base on that kid opinion?

simple question, yes or no?
Last edited by Ozxell on Mar 2, 2020, 11:27:08 PM
I know it might come as a shock to OP but developers who work for GGG do this to make MONEY. Not to serve OP. The fact of the matter is there is fixed cost to buying tabs after which you never need more again. That is by FAR the most fair system i have ever seen in any game. And yet some geniuses come out and call it predatory it is outright amazing.
Yeah, yeah, a lot of complaints, people want AH.
Anyone remembers what happened to Diablo III AH? It went straight to hell, both versions - with in-game currency, and real-money.

Here's an article: https://blog.hoard.exchange/diablo-iiis-failed-auction-house-why-true-ownership-won-t-save-your-game-c6d692b9de1
Last edited by 6_din_49 on Mar 3, 2020, 1:24:01 AM
Trade will not be improved because GGG has no idea how to balance their game if more players get access to items they need.

Current system is basically an intentional time waster that serves as an artificial barrier to end game.
Oh man, I'm new to the game as in been playing for a day only and this thread has me so confused already but I am not going to form an opinion without playing the game for at least a month or so.

I have been playing ARPG's since forever when D2 came out and D1 as a kid.
I've also been playing WoW since 2007, a couple years after it came out but these are 2 vastly different games; one having an AH and one that did not.

With D2, if anyone that has ever played it or still plays it now you will know how insanely annoying it was to have "mules" to hold all your stuff since each char could only hold a few items. There was no shared stash etc...

If you wanted to trade something you'd have to make private games with a very short title listing the name of the item you wanted and can have up to 7 people join your game to bid/chat.
I understand this is archaic but it had an element of socialization at least which I hope that in PoE there is/we have some kind of form?

As for stash space in PoE or if it's even enough; I can't form an opinion and I don't understand what this premium stash tab thing is? Is that something you have to buy in order to unlock however the trading system works in PoE? And if so wait a couple weeks for a sale?
"
Harvey_Rabbit wrote:
GGG is so ass backwards in this area, they have a really fun game but do all kinds of things to add irritation and take the fun away in order to manipulate players to pay money, mainly from tabs. Just do the fun things for the players to enable them to have fun playing the game, more players will have more fun, more players will play, more community will build, more cosmetics will be bought. It's not that hard look at League of Legends despite gross mismanagement of many aspects like Esports for many years without even advertisements during blank air time during breaks (they just show blank screen, lmao), they still have made a crapload of money far more than GGG.

First: When you write "mainly" from tabs, what other things are you refering to? Look, I get it, it feels bad for a cheap player to be encouraged to buy tabs. And God are they expensive. Your "fun, fun, fun"-arguments are nice and all, but fairly utopic. You can't compare a niche game in a niche genre to popular games in massive PvP genres. PoE is the second/third most popular/successful ARPG Hack'n Slash game of all time, yet it peaks around 120k. No matter how we twist, turn and rotate, this genre will be a pretty niche genre, especially without the Blizaard fanboys. So once you start comparing with giant games in giant genres, you're missing the mark.

Still, LOL also had P2W elements back in the days, through runes. It took quite a while to farm runes, yet - you could buy them for real money right of the bat. Of course, Riot had the chance of removing this "encouragement" when LoL became the biggest game of all time, with a peak of several million players. You can implement different business models at that point.

"
Harvey_Rabbit wrote:
Cut out the small time-y, small mind-y, corner hustler that thinks he's fooling everyone bullshippy. This game would be way more fun and popular without all the jive. Like, in the current state I really can't recommend it to anyone because I have to start explaining about buying tabs, all the different tabs, all the weird third party crap required to do trading, all the weird confusing bullcrap in the game associated with creating the need for players to buy tabs.

We get it; you're heavily encouraged to buy tabs. But you don't need that many, and you don't need the special tabs. If you sell the game from your narrow view, then yes; it may be hard to sell. But if you sell it as it should be sold, it gets easier: "Try the game out, it's a very good game. It's free to try, and you can do EVERYTHING the game has to offer without paying a dime. IF you like the game, you're MUCH better off with a few tabs extra. $20 should do the trick, if you take advantage of their tab sales every three weeks. Good games deserves some money, right, even if they're F2P?"

And, what "third-party crap"?

"
Harvey_Rabbit wrote:
F2P isn't the only way to go, it could also be something like two week free play then pay $30 to unlock unlimited, plus you have "supporter pack" and other cosmetic MTX still in the game. There are different ways to do this, but the obvious problem with the current GGG paradigm is it is having a negative impact on the game design choices and how fun the game is to play, that's clearly a bad thing.

Of course there are different ways, and no one is saying GGG runs a perfect business. But why would that be a better way? Now you have a choice to not spend money if you so choose. God knows there's many people in here, spending thousands of hours on the game without paying. And $30 will net you all the tabs you need anyway, unless you're a standard hoarder. Cutting off the cheap players after two weeks isn't helping anyone. I think less of P2P games that charges extra for MTX, than I do about a F2P game that encourages you to pay.

Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info