When people say PoE has no competition...

As much as I'd love to try something else, I'm too damned lazy to put the effort in in learning all new stats, builds, items, etc of another game.
And the white guys says, I'll have a Coke then.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
A new Torchlight is coming however.

Unless the devs change direction, it's going to be at least moderately P2W. That puts it under the "ok, it's technically competition, but not really" list for me.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

I don't high hopes. If i remember correctly it looked like some MMO lite thing?
"
Katalaeia wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

Unless the devs change direction, it's going to be at least moderately P2W. That puts it under the "ok, it's technically competition, but not really" list for me.
p2w in a mainly singleplayer game? xD
"Now all that's left is for you getting on your knees."
if you know thanks me:) i'm dying to find out x'D
"
Grauthrim wrote:
"
Exile009 wrote:
...what you really mean is that it has no competition that's toppled it yet. PoE does have competition - Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, Wolcen, Torchlight 2, Last Epoch, Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor – Martyr, etc.

These are all ARPGs.

Doesn't matter if you think they're not good enough - that's my whole point. If you really wanted to play an ARPG and PoE didn't exist, you'd be playing one of these (or any others I've missed). PoE has competition - it's just outcompeted them all so far.

None of these games even begin to scratch the surface of what we could call "competition" there is currently no game on the market, other than Path of Exile, that offers the quite frankly insane amount of content, replayability or trading system like Path of Exile.

OMG Lets hope NONE ever follow the same path of trading as POE
IGN:Axe_Crazy
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

Yeah I've been keeping watch on this for a while now, I'm actually pretty excited. It seems like it'll be a great casual side game.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
AldarisGrave wrote:
"
Johny_Snow wrote:

I don't high hopes. If i remember correctly it looked like some MMO lite thing?

Despite all the outstanding praise of this series, I could never get past the juvenile WoW/WC3 graphics.
"I've played a lot of videogames. It's my primary recreational activity. Best games ever: Elden Ring and Diablo 4."
~Elon Musk, 2023
It literally does have zero competition shit I'd fucking leave if you find me a better game but there isn't.

I did slaughter every ARPG in that list btw

Like poe trade is so fucking bad that people would still bear with it BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE OUT THERE like at all.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Jul 12, 2019, 10:03:51 AM
"
satanttin wrote:
p2w in a mainly singleplayer game? xD

Here's the devs' post that started the whole "wtf" reaction.

https://www.torchlightfrontiers.com/en/news-article/11014403?fbclid=IwAR0JprVVNp5wu0Gy74GxhaB6n8etzvupEQZedwrSRh6iq19IAX-l_g54lds

A few tidbits:

"
We believe that you should earn your game play rewards through adventuring and killing monsters! However, we understand that some people's time is constrained by real-life responsibilities, so within reason we will allow for limited acceleration of various metrics, like gold, luck, etc. Whenever possible, we think these powers should be shareable with your friends, and will still require that you earn your loot through adventuring.

"
We believe that normal gear, like your armor and primary weapons should be attainable only by adventuring and finding them. That said, we may sell some special items, like specific Relic Weapons. If we do, we will always strive for there to be a reasonable way to attain or craft them through normal gameplay.

Which is then followed by
"
We reject "pay-to-win".

We'll see how it turns out, I guess, but for now it's a hard pass for me.
"
It literally does have zero competition shit I'd fucking leave if you find me a better game but there isn't.

I did slaughter every ARPG in that list btw

Like poe trade is so fucking bad that people would still bear with it BECAUSE THERE'S NOTHING ELSE OUT THERE like at all.

Again like the OP stated, there is plenty of competition(he gave a decent sized list of other ARPGs) as well as thousands of other games in different genres to chose from. If they are shit, than it's because other games are currently that much better. If other games weren't setting the standard higher then you wouldn't think those games are shit, you'd just play them without knowing any better.

So yes PoE has competition, and yes their competition is mostly shit, but it's only shit because of the bar that PoE has set for the genre

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info