Chris Wilson will Speak at the Game Developers Conference 2019

I hope other game development companies will be paying attention. I know I will. Should be super interesting. :)
Point one: Don't go for mobile game if you are not absolutely sure that this is what your gamebase wants.

Point two: Listen and work with community. You can be the brain and hands of the game, but players are it's heart.

Point three: Make end-game re-playable, encounters should be not only fun and rewarding, but also challenging.

Point four: Keep it fresh, of if you go for "Seasons" then make them different.

And to sum this up: Don't do Blizzard things. They failed at each of above points...
Don't get me wrong; i like this game and have been playing it a lot since torment, but i fervently hate the way the devs think about and implement player retention mechanics. Some examples:

-Ascendancies gated behind the forced hardcore exxperience of lab.

-Rare gear has 6 mods on it generally. The chances you will get 6 good mods with the rolls on it that you actually want are as big as finding a mirror because that gear gets mirrored for a reason. This means as a regular player you will always keep chasing gear but never find it.

-New challenge leagues every few months. It forces you to play temp leagues from scratch or miss out on the hype. It also rushes you to play faster and more, not to miss out before it gets nerfed and added to standard.

-Balance of encounters. The devs make it so you do indeed encounter breaches, abyss, essences, beasts and all that stuff, but if you play like a casual (someone with a job) you will never get enough of those for the rewards to feel impactful at all. I have about 40 breach splinters of each kind at 18 challenges completed for instance.

-Upgrading hardware requirements with each league. If you have a decent pc you wont notice this. If you have not; you can run most earlier content but not the content like harbinger and betrayal. This baits you into playing the game and then punishes you for trying.

-Introducing new content at such a fast pace that everything is always broken on release and needs months of patching. What isn't fixed before the new league starts probably never gets fixed, or only 2 years later. (We still have the issue of random disconnects upon loading areas!!!).

That being said, i like this game for its versatility and build options and the sheer amount of time you can sink into that. Player retentiion in general though? It abuses several weaknesses in how humans function, making us want more while never giving it to us, so thats not that nice.
Sounds great. But layer after layer of randomness hurts the playerbase instead of beeing relayable.

I see on Youtube that there are sometimes videos of the GDC. I hope to see that of Chris also on Youtube.
I hope the talk will be recorded and posted on YouTube. I will watch it if you do.
Today, Wraeclast offers me a new life, written not by birth, nor family, nor society.
"
herflik wrote:

One person spoke something about Warframe. It is true that their developers could learn something from this game. But if it comes to replayability - warframe have one league only and have really big popularity. It is also growing and lasting for years now. It is outshining POE in this regard by miles.

Warframe suffers from different issues, once a player hits a high power level, the challenge completely drops off to near zero. Many older players return for new major expansions and vanish again, even WORSE than league design.

PoE and Warframe share some similarities (power creep and speed clear meta) but when it comes to end game challenge, Warframe falls flat, shooting fish in a barrel is more challenging.
Will the talk be released on the GGG yt channel or only on the GDC vault?
GGG, hire me!

C++ developer with DirectX/Vulkan API knowledge.
Well done Chris, wish you luck!

I sure would have liked to be there and listen to all speakers and especially Chris about game developing. I actually have a great idea for GGG and currently am working on making it, in the hopes of catching Chris' attention and maybe get hired by GGG.
"
MortalKombat3 wrote:
He'd better learn from others how to foster a community from beaing too toxic, and how make game not requiring top-tier PC to show kinda average picture.
Learning from others is better than learning it the hard way...

The problem of toxicity is too many people complaining about toxicity,regardless if it is warranted or not. In today's world,everything is toxic and everyone is a nazi because they have a different opinion.

Yes, there is such a thing as too much toxicity, however I haven't seen that in poe. What, some old and worn out "golden handjob" joke was too much for you to handle?. Look at other games and actual toxicity, poe is in actual good standing concerning this issue.

I have seen a ton of spambots, and global 820 being filled with people who spam a wall of text 3 times in a row so I can't see anything else in the chat, anything that I am actually interested in.

But there wasn't anything "toxic" about that. It was just annoying, like getting too much spam mail.

On your second point, I would not say that POE requires a top tier pc for you to be able to play and enjoy the game. Obviously if you want to max out everything, you won't be able to do it on a 7 year old laptop.

Last edited by Nosferat on Jan 30, 2019, 2:55:32 AM
Praise!
:O

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info