evasion v armor

"
ozzy9832001 wrote:
(...)
I'm 80 right now and run EVA w/o guile, and have no problems with anything really. LL makes up for the short fall, as does decent dps.

A large portion of this game revolves are playing it correctly. If you wish to stand still and get smashed, then you going to have a problem either way.

Yes, pure evasion without Ondar's Guile and without Iron Reflexes is not useless, but in comparison to the two other versions it is clearly inferior. That's why I did not consider it to be viable. The more you do high-end maps, the more the differences become clear.

Academy boss is a very good boss for showing the massive difference: if you go IR path then you at very least get high mitigation against the cast-when-damage-taken-whirlwinds.

If you go Ondar's Guille + high evasion then you got that 95% evasion rate vs his book throw because that it is a projectile attack.

If you go high evasion without IR and without Ondar's Guille, then you are in significantely worse position compared to the other two options: you get hit by many book throws, and your evasion does nothing against the whirlwinds.

This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Jan 1, 2014, 9:16:04 AM
"
mazul wrote:

Sure you won't be able to tank maze vaal hits, but that's it XD.

Sure you would be able
"
tinko92 wrote:
"
mazul wrote:

Sure you won't be able to tank maze vaal hits, but that's it XD.

Sure you would be able

Sure you wouldnt. -.-
Do you remember kerkrom? If you tank a map vaal hit, that's because of the enfeeble and endurance charges, the armor does the least.
Evasion builds can use enfeeble and endurance charges too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk4MDmNEL-I
Last edited by IriZe on Jan 1, 2014, 8:48:59 PM
The funny thing about armor is between Endurance Charges, Molten Shell, Determination and Granite Flasks, you can generate a shitload of damage reduction without even having decent equipment. Can't really say the same for Evasion, their flasks get only one sip and take longer to recharge, so you're pretty much stuck milking your equipment for Evasion.

I think every physical build ought to have CoDT + Warlord's Mark + Enduring Cry + Molten Shell even if you're building Dex, it's just hard to argue with that much free damage reduction.
Like everything else in the game, Evasion vs. Armor is a trade off against different types of damage.

Armor is better against:
- Multiple small physical hits
- Preventing one-shot
- Physical damage spells

Evasion is better against:
- Medium to large hits (that don't one-shot)
- Elemental / Chaos attacks
- Avoiding Status ailments if you are low-life / CI

In addition, passives interact with each slightly differently:

- Iron Reflexes allows you to scale Armor off of both Armor AND Evasion nodes, making it much easier to stack tons of Armor.
- Pure Evasion allows you to take Ondar's Guile and the Acrobatics cluster, which gives you a lot mitigation against certain types of damage.

"
Like everything else in the game, Evasion vs. Armor is a trade off against different types of damage.

Armor is better against:
- Multiple small physical hits
- Preventing one-shot
- Physical damage spells

Evasion is better against:
- Medium to large hits (that don't one-shot)
- Elemental / Chaos attacks
- Avoiding Status ailments if you are low-life / CI

In addition, passives interact with each slightly differently:

- Iron Reflexes allows you to scale Armor off of both Armor AND Evasion nodes, making it much easier to stack tons of Armor.
- Pure Evasion allows you to take Ondar's Guile and the Acrobatics cluster, which gives you a lot mitigation against certain types of damage.

Armor doesnt prevent one-shot. It's quite the opposite. The more damage you get, the less reduction you have.
"
IriZe wrote:
Armor doesnt prevent one-shot. It's quite the opposite. The more damage you get, the less reduction you have.
It still reduces damage taken, which combined with enough hitpoint buffer will prevent one-shots. That's what he means. Stacking a ton of evasion means you won't be hit as often by one-shots, but without the damage reduction from armor, you will get one-shot where a build with some armor would not.
The character in my vid is pure eva/melee... notice piety almost kills me gets a hit through however I had a cushion to keep me alive for hits that do go through. Theres the proof end of conversation move on people.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
"
Bukariin wrote:
"
IriZe wrote:
It still reduces damage taken, which combined with enough hitpoint buffer will prevent one-shots. That's what he means. Stacking a ton of evasion means you won't be hit as often by one-shots, but without the damage reduction from armor, you will get one-shot where a build with some armor would not.

Yep, exactly. Any large hit that is less than a one-shot is better mitigated by Evasion, since you can take the punch and then heal (either leeching while he misses the next so many hits or running away.)

But if he can one shot you then Armor will prevent that much better than Evasion - you can alway get a bad roll on your first entropy roll and get killed on the first strike, after all.
"
Bukariin wrote:
"
IriZe wrote:

This isn't true. It's not very likely that you get 1 shot except some exceptations, like vaal, but as you seen when kerkrom died, not even 5-6 endurance stacks and armor based build can prevent a real 1 shot.
I'm playing hc/nemesis only, and the last character i lost died at 80, and she was pure EV. It wasn't physical damage that killed me (temple piety) despite that i had ~30% chance to evade, no dodge, and that's pretty weak.

My friend, tho, made it to lvl 85, and still progressing with pure evasion.

Armor is good for melee characters, to reduce the many, tiny hits that you get while being in melee range, but evasion is better with a character that doesn't go that close.

Wether you use evasion or armor, one shot isnt going to be prevented, and physical damage reduction is reachable for evasion characters too with enfeeble, endurance charges, lightning coil, etc., but seems like everyone is speaking about armor builds like only they could use physical damage reduction.

Imo:
Evasion is better when you get damaged once in a while, like you should be with a bow user, for example.
Armor is better when you are going into melee range, and wanna tank a lot, relatively weak enemies.
Endurance charges, enfeeble, etc.. is good against strong, hard hitter enemies.
Last edited by IriZe on Jan 1, 2014, 11:44:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info