evasion v armor

"
Iyacthu wrote:
What i like about Evasion is the ability to basically trivialize 1v1 fights.
What i like about Armor is the ability to ignore Swarms of monsters (more or less), but they are usually no threat.

I don't agree with this statement. Evasion isn't useless versus Swarms, in fact, I find it works best AGAINST Swarms.

Even with an Armor build, getting attacked by 10-20 leaping Goatmen, would scare the shit, and possibly life, out of me. But with Evasion, I've facetanked tons of leaping Goatmen, and come out completely unscathed. I've had 20 jump on me, thought I was for sure dead, took 0 damage.

With an Armor build, I'd have been dead.

The way it stands, if you can feasibly stack Eva/OG/Acrobatics and STILL maintain as high Life as an Armor build, go Eva. If your build doesn't let you go to that side of the tree, go Armor. If your build allows for the use of AA, then by all means go with that as well.

In the end, in my opinion, nothing beats Life. And the only reason Armor is better, is because it is easier to build, and easier to grab other survivability Nodes along with it.
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
"
Sheriff_K wrote:
"
Iyacthu wrote:
What i like about Evasion is the ability to basically trivialize 1v1 fights.
What i like about Armor is the ability to ignore Swarms of monsters (more or less), but they are usually no threat.

I don't agree with this statement. Evasion isn't useless versus Swarms, in fact, I find it works best AGAINST Swarms.

Even with an Armor build, getting attacked by 10-20 leaping Goatmen, would scare the shit, and possibly life, out of me. But with Evasion, I've facetanked tons of leaping Goatmen, and come out completely unscathed. I've had 20 jump on me, thought I was for sure dead, took 0 damage.

With an Armor build, I'd have been dead.

The way it stands, if you can feasibly stack Eva/OG/Acrobatics and STILL maintain as high Life as an Armor build, go Eva. If your build doesn't let you go to that side of the tree, go Armor. If your build allows for the use of AA, then by all means go with that as well.

In the end, in my opinion, nothing beats Life. And the only reason Armor is better, is because it is easier to build, and easier to grab other survivability Nodes along with it.

That completely ignores that unless you go crit dmg, armor is far better to mitigate physical reflect.

Furthermore, you need to be able to deal with lv76 academy boss and if you are melee, that means you go armor.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on Jan 3, 2014, 12:45:30 PM
"
mazul wrote:

That completely ignores that unless you go crit dmg, armor is far better to mitigate physical reflect.

Furthermore, you need to be able to deal with lv76 academy boss and if you are melee, that means you go armor.

? If you don't have crits you usually don't have to worry about reflect.

Nope, CWDT with IC enables you to beat academy boss without armor because his physical spell procs a lot of damage instances. So you don't really NEED armor for this boss as long as you have good leech. You can also use curse removal and a movement skill like cyclone to feel even safer.
Last edited by Ceryneian on Jan 3, 2014, 2:07:31 PM
Ondar's Guile OP.

Spoiler
Please no nerf.
"
Ceryneian wrote:
"
mazul wrote:

? If you don't have crits you usually don't have to worry about reflect.

Nope, CWDT with IC enables you to beat academy boss without armor because his physical spell procs a lot of damage instances. So you don't really NEED armor for this boss as long as you have good leech. You can also use curse removal and a movement skill like cyclone to feel even safer.

When you do 30k+ AoE physical dmg, you have to worry about reflect.

17% of phys dmg reflected (aura) => 5100 reflect dps if there is no mitigation and only if 1 target is hit.

Edit:
Ah yes proccing immortal call is a good solution, you are right XD
Last edited by mazul on Jan 3, 2014, 2:56:47 PM
funny thing -over all my chars ive never actually used IR. i took US once (but no IR - i had like 200EV anyway on that char). heck i even dont use US on CI char (took some life nodes instead - cheaper than going all the way there) and use Cast When Stunned to a good effect with life leech etc)

what works absolutely best is AR+EV+little ES

ES - stun prob reduced by 50%. just a token amount is ok
AR - small/med hits reduced A LOT
EV - everything else:
-- projectiles are a joke
-- 40% dodge is NOTICEABLE
-- dodging spells is yet another bonus
-- most importantly - A LOT less crits due to how rolling a crit works. and crits are what 1shot people

couple that with block and on my melee Reaver i had to remove CWDT because it wouldnt proc..

life, curses, end charges and all other unrelated mechanics can be used by any build so they do not apply

after that there is no way for me to understand people that go full banana to get IR and run grace+determination where in fact you can have the same armor with granites on demand and even 20k armor wont save you vs big melee hits with 99% added as lightning.. hits that one can easily avoid
Mazul you are right about reflect in that scenario.

I also think that if you are aiming for 30K+ DPS you may as well go a crit build for even higher damage in that case.

Sid - Acrobatics results in a 50% reduction to armor - which is very inefficient if you are stacking armor. I have not played a hybrid build but i think that having average armor and average evasion is fine against regular mobs, but will probably struggle against high end bosses that have high accuracy and high damage. But I could be wrong...
Last edited by Ceryneian on Jan 3, 2014, 4:48:07 PM
"
Ceryneian wrote:

I also think that if you are aiming for 30K+ DPS you may as well go a crit build for even higher damage in that case.

Sid - Acrobatics results in a 50% reduction to armor - which is very inefficient if you are stacking armor. I have not played a hybrid build but i think that having average armor and average evasion is fine against regular mobs, but will probably struggle against high end bosses that have high accuracy and high damage. But I could be wrong...

I think I was wrong before about reflect, because reflect itself caused Cast when damage taken and thus immortal call to be triggered XD.

The 250 ms cooldon may be enough?
Evasion is superb. But allocating acrobatics eh.

Mobs with accurate mods and heavy crit dmg mods are lethal for acro builds. Coz in this situation survivability depends on rng sadly. If you roll Dodge or evade u are ok. But if you cannot then you will need some damage reduction.

Due to that I prefer not to take acrobatics. Granite flask is op.

I think eva builds need more experience. Armor is far more noob friendly. It allows you to react in time. You realize need to run or leech. Pop up granite and jade then jump into mobs and keep attacking. As long you hit u are good. But eva requires more caution. You shouldn't be like look I'm not takin any damage hahaha.
-"This world is an illusion."
Dominus
"
Ceryneian wrote:

i have dismantled my mele acro build and have only eva/ar/es build - so no dodge nor ondars nor phase acro

with 5and charges and this self found gear:

Spoiler
alpha now is on another char so dont mind the gems

i had no issues up to lvl74 maps (i alch all 70+ maps) (and then my map luck failed and i decided to play another char)

cutting armor in half is not an issue with granites/jades. flasks are OP and i would not be surprised that some day that +99% armor affix is reduced to +40% max and base is reduced AGAIN to 2000 this time (And in CB it was 10000 iirc)

i have ranged acro build with ondars and it is simply crazy for survival as ranged char but this is another story

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info