Desync and why it's fixable

Essentially we have an indie studio of talented game designers and artists who have built the game they want to play over a period of ~6 years, and it is a damn fine game. Sadly they lack the technical skills to fix the desync issue, which is why it's been a problem since day one and it has not gotten any better... at all. Even playing tonight, I get stuck in doorways, suddenly jump into a room I never ran into, and even die without knowing what happened until I /oos. And this happens regularly with a ~60ms ping.

This game has trained its players to accept a broken and horribly coded network layer, and it's quite sad. The players deserve better, and GGG should be making this their top priority to fix. It's unfortunate GGG feels compelled to make excuses and justify their broken and poorly coded system to the public as reason why the behavior of the game is acceptable. It is not, and they should be embarrassed at how the game plays. No major (respected) game studio would ever allow a product with the desync issues PoE has to go out the door. Period.

Desync is this game's greatest weakness and until it's addressed and plays smoothly (like all other online games), PoE will always be a B-rated title that feels like it's still in BETA.
All that and a bag of chips!
Last edited by Mooginator on Nov 28, 2013, 2:19:03 AM
It seems like those posting supportive replies haven't read anything but the thread title (one exception), and those posting negative replies scanned the OP but didn't really understand it (which I imagine may be my fault, somehow not explaining myself well enough; again, one exception).

In any case, I feel I made a mistake posting this in General Discussion. High reply quantity, shitty reply quality.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 28, 2013, 2:23:41 AM
"
Please elaborate.

I just meant things that you've already acknowledged in the OP. Even without that, if you're providing more data to the client, of course the client is going to be able to infer more from that data.

If it's easier to write a predictive "hack" by even the most negligible amount, then it's still easier (tautology intended).

My comment was a dismissal of SponTen's comment. Rejecting a proposal such as yours just because it makes "hacking" easier at all (even by a negligible amount) is, in my opinion, foolish in this case.
IGN: SplitEpimorphism
Last edited by syrioforel on Nov 28, 2013, 2:22:11 AM
"
Mooginator wrote:
Essentially we have an indie studio of talented game designers and artists who have built the game they want to play over a period of ~6 years, and it is a damn fine game. Sadly they lack the technical skills to fix the desync issue, which is why it's been a problem since day one and it has not gotten any better... at all. Even playing tonight, I get stuck in doorways, suddenly jump into a room I never ran into, and even die without knowing what happened until I /oos. And this happens regularly with a ~60ms ping.

This game has trained its players to accept a broken and horribly coded network layer, and it's quite sad. The players deserve better, and GGG should be making this their top priority to fix. It's unfortunate GGG feels compelled to make excuses and justify their broken and poorly coded system to the public as reason why the behavior of the game is acceptable. It is not, and they should be embarrassed at how the game plays. No major (respected) game studio would ever allow a product with the desync issues PoE has to go out the door. Period.

Desync is this game's greatest weakness and until it's addressed and plays smoothly (like all other online games), PoE will always be a B-rated title that feels like it's still in BETA.

QFT
"
Mooginator wrote:
This game has trained its players to accept a broken and horribly coded network layer, and it's quite sad.
The real problem isn't on the network layer, it's on the "prediction layer." The network layer corrects desync with resyncs; the prediction layer prevents desync from occurring in the first place.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Every change in actual network code will generate new problems. It is physically really hard or impossible without server in every country/continent to resolve this problem.
I think for now it is only possible to change game network type on same or similar as Vindictus.
It is best and the worst change depending on players bandwidth.
So nope, you just cannot resolve this problem without simplifying game mechanics.

[if I made any language mistakes, i`m sorry].
I really don't need to know the theory of how desync happens. All I know is I rage quit the game a week ago due to desync. Today I log in again trying to level up but got killed by desync in less than 5 min. I am not leveling up but leveling down every time I go in, lol. This is just funny and of course I rage quit again XD. Fix it soon plz, before another game comes out and rank it down...
BB ^^
This thread belongs to off topic

"
ibase wrote:
This thread belongs to off topic

no u
IGN: SplitEpimorphism
"
Hi Scrotie,

I'll bump this but my gut instinct is that lack of serious dev response indicates that despite your intellect and effort, there's something you've missed.

But you keep fighting that good fight, brother.

I think a problem is the butterfly effect due to small inconsistency:

1) Movement and unknown combact results are very related
2) Timestamp: i execute movements on my client now, while server execute them 0.1-0.4 sec later

I think that it would be a very big butterfly: the bigger the butterfly becomes, the faster it is growing.

Of course, OP suggestion would alleviate desync, but i do not know how much. The server should anyhow send the client the /oos infos once in a while. It is very difficult and impractical to make a 'deterministic' layer interact with a 'non-deterministic' one. The 'non-deterministic' layer is usually stronger.
Roma timezone (Italy)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info