Desync and why it's fixable

OP - there was a detailed post about De-Sync by Chris - do search for that one.

I only say that because that one addresses every point you make, so I think you hadnt seen that one?
I love desync please don't fix it.
"
Dynuel wrote:
could someone explain the use and purpose of the /oos command and why can't it be executed automatically / more frequently?
The /oos command manually resynchs the game by telling the server to send the client all its current gamestate data. This is a lot of information compared to the smaller, specific updates which the server normally sends. The GGG servers likely could not handle continuous /oos, so it's up to GGG to determine how often they can afford to send it without causing the servers to get bogged down.
"
I'm more annoyed by desync QQ threads than I am by actual in-game desync.
This is not a QQ thread. This is a solutions thread.
"
Eternallight wrote:
Scrotie, whats your opinion on if desync (fixable or not) is a matter of "too late" at this time? As in, not fixable due to how the system is currently made and would require a re-scripting of the game from the ground up?
I don't know exactly how much coding this task would require, but we're essentially talking about taking something which the server currently does exclusively, and making it so the client can perform the calculation itself. As such, I imagine a lot of the AI code could be copy-pasted, maybe edited a bit. As such, I don't think it would be excruciatingly difficult to implement; the maphack fix would probably be a more difficult coding challenge.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Then shouldn't you have posted it in the suggestions forum?

I think someone just wants attention.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Dynuel wrote:
could someone explain the use and purpose of the /oos command and why can't it be executed automatically / more frequently?
The /oos command manually resynchs the game by telling the server to send the client all its current gamestate data. This is a lot of information compared to the smaller, specific updates which the server normally sends. The GGG servers likely could not handle continuous /oos, so it's up to GGG to determine how often they can afford to send it without causing the servers to get bogged down.
"
I'm more annoyed by desync QQ threads than I am by actual in-game desync.
"
Eternallight wrote:
Scrotie, whats your opinion on if desync (fixable or not) is a matter of "too late" at this time? As in, not fixable due to how the system is currently made and would require a re-scripting of the game from the ground up?
I don't know exactly how much coding this task would require, but we're essentially talking about taking something which the server currently does exclusively, and making it so the client can perform the calculation itself. As such, I imagine a lot of the AI code could be copy-pasted, maybe edited a bit. As such, I don't think it would be excruciatingly difficult to implement; the maphack fix would probably be a more difficult coding challenge.

It hopefully would be something like that, but what if it wont work without remaking the game, basicly?
And if you close your eyes, does it feel like your exalt almost hit this time~
"
MildlyClever wrote:
OP - there was a detailed post about De-Sync by Chris - do search for that one.

I only say that because that one addresses every point you make, so I think you hadnt seen that one?
I'm intimately familiar with the document in question. Maybe you should reread it again; although it verifies some of my claims in the OP, it doesn't actually address what's going on at all.
"
Eternallight wrote:
It hopefully would be something like that, but what if it wont work without remaking the game, basicly?
Then it would best be put on a back-burner until it could be combined with some other desired change which would also wouldn't work without remaking the game. Game development is about allocating resources, and tasks with great benefits but huge costs get shelved, and that's something I can live with. I admit that the "easily fixable" part of the thread title is an educated guess.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 27, 2013, 5:07:47 AM
I don't see how this solution could work in a multiplayer environment.
If the client was responsible for the AI's behaviour and you're playing in a party, you would have different gamestates, none of which can be true at the same time.
And that would most probably cause even worse desync.
@Lemonjooce ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Why on earth does this need a new thread, apart from Scrotie yelling "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT MEEEEE!".

This and every other issue related to this has already been covered in this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/626664
"
westgate wrote:
I don't see how this solution could work in a multiplayer environment.
If the client was responsible for the AI's behaviour and you're playing in a party, you would have different gamestates, none of which can be true at the same time.
And that would most probably cause even worse desync.
The client already has have the same answer as the server, using deterministic prediction methods, otherwise it predicts monster movement in a way which disagrees with the server, which would cause more desync; however, this is preventable. Assuming that system worked properly, the problem you mention would solve itself almost automatically.
"
Wilde79 wrote:
This and every other issue related to this has already been covered in this thread:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/626664
I felt this was a slightly superior option to bumping that thread, which I would have done otherwise.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 27, 2013, 5:11:55 AM
Everytime a thread like this is made GGG responds to it that the poster does not fully understand everything.

If it was easily fixable then it wouldn't still be a problem.
Standard Forever

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info