Desync and why it's fixable

All the talk and discussion and complaining about desync is more rampant and intrusive than desync itself. I get desync about 5 times a session, I notice it quickly and it either resyncs faster than I.can type or I resolve it momentarily with less time lost than typing this post.
Analyze, Adapt, and Ask the devs to change it.
"
Simplest fix - Let the server control everything. You don't move until the data does a round trip back to your PC. Your PC does nothing but render the game as a drone. Yes, this will feel more sluggish but it will entirely eliminate desync while remaining 100% secure.

I must lo to this. It's something like "curing" the disease by killing the patient :D

IGN STD Ajax_Deadeye| Nathaniel_Corwin| Itane_Shira| Tetra_Mayani| Arkanis_Gath
[Build] TK's CoC Crit Shadow aka THE WELDER /view-thread/787487
[Shop] TK's Adventurers Pawnshop /view-thread/570071
"
Hazard001 wrote:
All the talk and discussion and complaining about desync is more rampant and intrusive than desync itself. I get desync about 5 times a session, I notice it quickly and it either resyncs faster than I.can type or I resolve it momentarily with less time lost than typing this post.
Not everyone's connection is as good as yours.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Due to widespread confusion as to what I'm actually suggesting here, I made two flowcharts (which I'm also adding to the OP).

Before (current system):

Client simulation renders ________ after player input:
  • Your skill/movement animations immediately
  • Monster skill/movement animations a full ping
  • Other players' skill/movement animations a full ping
  • Damage calculation a full ping (but hopefully before your skills actually connect)
Server gamestate renders ________ after player input:
  • Your skill/movement animations a half ping
  • Monster skill/movement animations a half ping
  • Other players' skill/movement animations a half ping
  • Damage calculation a half ping

After (my suggestion):

Client simulation renders ________ after player input:
  • Your skill/movement animations immediately
  • Monster skill/movement animations immediately
  • Other players' skill/movement animations a full ping
  • Damage calculation a full ping (but hopefully before your/monster skills actually connect)
Server gamestate renders ________ after player input:
  • Your skill/movement animations a half ping
  • Monster skill/movement animations a half ping
  • Other players' skill/movement animations a half ping
  • Damage calculation a half ping
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 29, 2013, 5:57:19 PM
Bump.
The suggestion makes sense and was well thought out.
Despite the other, over debated, similar posts: This thread is thoughtful and serious and (in my humble opinion) it deserves a serious thoughtful response from GGG.

BTW, you DO pontificate - you would get a better response from the general public if you spoke with a reading and writing level more similar to the general public. If, that is, your intent is to educate and be helpful.

In a previous project I worked on, I needed to sync multiple clients and I chose a very similar solution.

Stupid Idea Alert:

Sell an "Anti De-Sync" picket sign weapon skin (or less atmosphere breaking effect/skin) in the micro-transaction shop. The proceeds can go toward funding manpower hours to working on the issue or hiring an outside firm to resolve the issue.

In the mean time, how bout a five minute fix to make things bearable while we wait GGG?

Seriously, it is a five minute macro.

1. Add a class/method to the game loop to check for common signs of de-sync.
2. If it is likely to exist, print/echo a message/image on screen to warn us it might exist so we pop flasks that will trigger as soon as the server hears us.
3. If it is likely to exist, run whatever method is triggered by the /oos command.

Just my "ten cents". I love PoE, it is a shame to have it plagued by such an issue :(
"
Kushite wrote:
BTW, you DO pontificate - you would get a better response from the general public if you spoke with a reading and writing level more similar to the general public. If, that is, your intent is to educate and be helpful.
Is the OP better now?
Wait but what happens in party play? Wouldn't that create even more problems because the monster AI is on your client, but then can't it also be different on everyone else's client?
"You can't bash someone else's shitty taste in music when you listen to 'grindcore'" -TheWretch̢
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 29, 2013, 10:28:39 PM
I'm pretty sure GGG made it clear that desync will be a permanent feature of POE.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info