Desync and why it's fixable

Was out all day, just seen this thread.. What a bad suggestion. Didn't devs explained enough that why they made everything calculated on server first decision.
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.
im confused on why this needs fixing. I quite enjoy it. Adds excitement to the game.
I think RMT is way worse than some hackers.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Why does desync occur in PoE? Sadly, it's something which is very fixable.

Do you eve know what you're saying here.
Allow me to enlighten you; you're saying "YES I don't have any experience in programming, netcode, game design, but STILL I'M SMARTER THEN ALL OF YOU DEV LOSERS. If you only had me in your team, oh boy how would you profit! I am THE MAN. YESSS! "

In too many words.

Because that's what it is. You cannot possibly think (if you try to se past your mental masturbation) that your post can possibly have ANY weight whatsoever. You cannot be that simple.

Or can you?

IGN STD Ajax_Deadeye| Nathaniel_Corwin| Itane_Shira| Tetra_Mayani| Arkanis_Gath
[Build] TK's CoC Crit Shadow aka THE WELDER /view-thread/787487
[Shop] TK's Adventurers Pawnshop /view-thread/570071
"
Thorien_Kell wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Allow me to enlighten you; you're saying "YES I don't have any experience in programming, netcode, game design, but STILL I'M SMARTER THEN ALL OF YOU DEV LOSERS. If you only had me in your team, oh boy how would you profit! I am THE MAN. YESSS! "

Is this the first post of OP's you've encountered? This is literally the case in huge percentage of his posts, you should have get used to this by now.
No longer a forum dweller, please use PM for contact purposes.
"
Meistervinny wrote:

I am sorry, but you want everyone to have their own environment? So you would be receiving data of someone cleaving in the air because in the other persons state the mobs are there but in your state they are not? So his damage is calculated in his state but not in yours?
Do you not see the massive flaws in this plan? This would result in some really weird gaming situations and not in a good way!

It probably wouldn't be that bad. PoE gameplay doesn't have any cooperative elements between players so your ally information is largely irrelevant. It does look weird to see party members being attacked with nothing around them.

Phantasy Star Online used a similar solution.
"
ignarsoll wrote:
Was out all day, just seen this thread.. What a bad suggestion. Didn't devs explained enough that why they made everything calculated on server first decision.
I understand and agree with what they said about trusting the client, but this suggestion doesn't trust the client. What was going on there was a false dichotomy: that the only choices were trusting the client, or completing all calculations on the server. Those are not the only two options.
"
ignarsoll wrote:
"
Thorien_Kell wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

Is this the first post of OP's you've encountered? This is literally the case in huge percentage of his posts, you should have get used to this by now.
There is an important difference between believing you have a potentially good, usable idea, and believing that you are superior to others, that other people are incompetent, or even that your idea is, without a doubt, a good idea.

Sometimes I believe my idea has potential; sometimes I believe it's unquestionably good. And sometimes, like in this case, it falls somewhere in the middle, where I can see that certain things are not happening, should happen, and the exact means of filling the gaps is slightly up in the air.

But at no time do I believe that I am better than the GGG devs, or that they are incompetent. Sometimes I think they miss things; I think we all sometimes miss things. I'd probably miss more things than they would.

And even if I really was that arrogant, your entire line of thinking here would still be, and still is, an ad hominem attack. Does a good idea suddenly become a bad one because it passes through the lips of an asshole? I say fuck the messenger; fuck ScrotieMcB. There is no damn ego here. Either the idea is good, or it isn't; discuss the idea itself, not "GGG couldn't have missed any desync-related concept" (they could have) or "Scrotie just wants attention" (yes, but not for myself). And if you don't know what you're actually talking about, and the entirety of your argument is based in faith and/or doubt in others, be honest with yourself, admit that you know even less about this subject than I do, and shut the fuck up.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 27, 2013, 11:14:58 PM
"
StinkFinger wrote:
It's been over 3 years now of this problem being well known to GGG...

Alpha, Closed Beta, Open Beta and now "Release"...

And nothing has changed with regards to this issue...

Who honestly thinks GGG is actually gonna "realistically" address this issue now?

"A day late, a dollar short..."

Ol' reliable stinky. Love ya.
A more elegant desync solution would be to not allow players to collide with monsters. Do this by causing mobs to naturally move around you as you try to walk into them.

Yes, this ruins a lot of the "oh crap I'm stuck" tactical moments from the game, but it removes the biggest factor in desync almost completely, which is players getting stuck on mobs that they pass through on their own screen.
Last edited by RondaRousey on Nov 27, 2013, 11:54:30 PM
I don't think that's the ONE risk. The biggest risk - which in 150 or so pages of the last thread on this, you didn't successfully address - is that with more client-side decision making, a malicious client could build up a 20-second (for instance) "buffer" which would allow HC characters to escape death. You die? Hit the emergency button, and your client logs out... 20 seconds ago in server terms, or about 15 seconds before you die.

While I think this is a clever and well-thought out solution, until there's an answer for that major problem - and I haven't been able to come up with one that I couldn't figure out a way around - it's just unworkable.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info