Desync and why it's fixable

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

And even if I really was that arrogant, your entire line of thinking here would still be, and still is, an ad hominem attack. Does a good idea suddenly become a bad one because it passes through the lips of an asshole? I say fuck the messenger; fuck ScrotieMcB. There is no damn ego here. Either the idea is good, or it isn't; discuss the idea itself, not "GGG couldn't have missed any desync-related concept" (they could have) or "Scrotie just wants attention" (yes, but not for myself). And if you don't know what you're actually talking about, and the entirety of your argument is based in faith and/or doubt in others, be honest with yourself, admit that you know even less about this subject than I do, and shut the fuck up.

But instead of wasting so much energy in your mental masturbation of delivering "great" ideas to rest of populace just try to envision how real professionals operate, companies, people who actually, you know, earn money, instead of concentration on your own awesomeness.

If you did just use 1% of that energy you would realize how your post and though process is hopeless and useless, as from any gamer newbie suddenly having rush of "great ideas" always is and will be. Devs are not stupid, and if they were, they would still know how to use google. Desync is onmipresent. It's part of current technology and limitations. That much is obvious to anyone, or should be.

"Be honest with ourselves..." lol, yes we are honest in realizing we don't know shit on subject that's why we are wisely quiet. But it seems that that doesn't bother you try to teach other people how to do their jobs. Now if you have made post like "I have this crazy idea about desync, would it help to ...." It would indicate sanity and respect. Making post like "it's easily fixable and you're fools" indicate delusions of grandeur and Napoleonic complex.

IGN STD Ajax_Deadeye| Nathaniel_Corwin| Itane_Shira| Tetra_Mayani| Arkanis_Gath
[Build] TK's CoC Crit Shadow aka THE WELDER /view-thread/787487
[Shop] TK's Adventurers Pawnshop /view-thread/570071
"
Mooginator wrote:
Essentially we have an indie studio of talented game designers and artists who have built the game they want to play over a period of ~6 years, and it is a damn fine game. Sadly they lack the technical skills to fix the desync issue, which is why it's been a problem since day one and it has not gotten any better... at all. Even playing tonight, I get stuck in doorways, suddenly jump into a room I never ran into, and even die without knowing what happened until I /oos. And this happens regularly with a ~60ms ping.

This game has trained its players to accept a broken and horribly coded network layer, and it's quite sad. The players deserve better, and GGG should be making this their top priority to fix. It's unfortunate GGG feels compelled to make excuses and justify their broken and poorly coded system to the public as reason why the behavior of the game is acceptable. It is not, and they should be embarrassed at how the game plays. No major (respected) game studio would ever allow a product with the desync issues PoE has to go out the door. Period.

Desync is this game's greatest weakness and until it's addressed and plays smoothly (like all other online games), PoE will always be a B-rated title that feels like it's still in BETA.

Your post seem logical and intelligent, on first sight. But if you're trying to analyze that a bit deeper ... you speak like you seem to know exactly why desync works and what problems are / if you can place the blame easily as you do. Either that or you're talking BS.

If you know, I apologize and please tell devs how to fix that problem. If not, just shut up. Even I who am no expert realize that desync is present in every online game, even mighty blizzard diablo (what, they have weak programmers too, right?) and it's further pronounced in PoE because devs didn't want to compromise, when mob trys to hit you it's not predetermined if he succeeds or not. If archer in diablo shoots an arrow, you can run away seven screens away and it will still hit you. No ducking there. Calculation was already made even before that arrow sprung out. Stupid right? PoE is different, it's not about stats but skill of playing too. That's why we have problems as we have.

IGN STD Ajax_Deadeye| Nathaniel_Corwin| Itane_Shira| Tetra_Mayani| Arkanis_Gath
[Build] TK's CoC Crit Shadow aka THE WELDER /view-thread/787487
[Shop] TK's Adventurers Pawnshop /view-thread/570071
"
with more client-side decision making, a malicious client could build up a 20-second (for instance) "buffer" which would allow HC characters to escape death. You die? Hit the emergency button, and your client logs out... 20 seconds ago in server terms, or about 15 seconds before you die.

So what? Seriously, I should be penalized by consistent desync because of the possibility that someone could escape a HC death? I don't give a fuck what someone else does on their game. Remove desync and people wouldn't need to cheat like that in the first place. The only reason to hack the game like this is because desync is a HC players worst enemy.

Am I missing something? Why is everyone elses main concern what someone else does on their game, instead of your own game experience? You think reaching the top of the ladder is gonna get you laid or something? It's a game, and it should be enjoyable to play.
"
iamstryker wrote:
If it was easily fixable then it wouldn't still be a problem.
IGN: NuzzyFipples
"
it's further pronounced in PoE because devs didn't want to compromise

I'd rather they compromised
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
It seems like those posting supportive replies haven't read anything but the thread title (one exception), and those posting negative replies scanned the OP but didn't really understand it (which I imagine may be my fault, somehow not explaining myself well enough; again, one exception).

In any case, I feel I made a mistake posting this in General Discussion. High reply quantity, shitty reply quality.

Hmm. Ignore criticisms + don't respond to legitimate issues that people raise + THIS post = I think I'm done with your threads :-)
"when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is"

Easily fixable = easily exploitable (hacks/dupes/etc)
"
Thorien_Kell wrote:
Even I who am no expert realize that desync is present in every online game, even mighty blizzard diablo (what, they have weak programmers too, right?) and it's further pronounced in PoE because devs didn't want to compromise, when mob trys to hit you it's not predetermined if he succeeds or not.
This is a false dichotomy. You can reduce desync from where it is now without dumbing down combat math, and without trusting the client.
"
"when something sounds too good to be true, it usually is"

Easily fixable = easily exploitable (hacks/dupes/etc)
"
iamstryker wrote:
If it was easily fixable then it wouldn't still be a problem.
These are throw-away criticisms of the unthinking.
"
simnel wrote:
Ignore criticisms + don't respond to legitimate issues that people raise + THIS post = I think I'm done with your threads :-)
Do what you will. But if you can't concede that I have faced a lot of illegitimate criticisms in this thread (perhaps in addition to a few legit ones), then I don't think we're going to find much common ground. I estimate my bad reply:good reply ratio in this thread is somewhere around 6:1. And no, I'm not ignoring them, I'm responding to most of them anyway.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Nov 28, 2013, 2:44:51 PM
Simplest fix - Let the server control everything. You don't move until the data does a round trip back to your PC. Your PC does nothing but render the game as a drone. Yes, this will feel more sluggish but it will entirely eliminate desync while remaining 100% secure.
"
Simplest fix - Let the server control everything. You don't move until the data does a round trip back to your PC. Your PC does nothing but render the game as a drone. Yes, this will feel more sluggish but it will entirely eliminate desync while remaining 100% secure.

So you're ok with a 5 second turn around? 10 seconds? They are only sending out a packet every so often. Increase the frequency and you increase the costs... without increasing revenue.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info