What happened to poe Reddit?

"

'I don't use the default layout, I download extra software to mod the layout, then further modify that layout!' is not a sterling endorsement of either layout.

Also that follow up statement from the person who had to post a paragraph to ask why your posts here keep getting deleted by moderators for being "Needlessly Negative" in your words is also not a great position to start from that (in a way that was, at least in my opinion, clearly needlessly negative).

But, if you prefer Reddit, go for it, I sure as heck won't stop you.

old.reddit isn't some addon it's just how the website looked before the awful design changes they made reddit enchancement suite is not needed to not make old.reddit an eyesore it's just enhances the experience also the quoting in these old ass forums sucks so much
Why are we hostages of a few % of users who wants to use Reddit without ads without paying a penny? When will this farce be over?
honestly, there's good ways and bad ways to protest. Shutting down the main channel of communication is not one of the good ways to protest. I would had understood like 1, max 2 day length but this is just silly.

I'm a software developer myself but really pissed at this right now and I'm all in for reddit making the api a paid feature now, not ever even gonna use it myself and hey they gotta make money somehow. (insert swearword starting with f) the protest honestly
"
mikkojh wrote:
honestly, there's good ways and bad ways to protest. Shutting down the main channel of communication is not one of the good ways to protest. I would had understood like 1, max 2 day length but this is just silly.

I'm a software developer myself but really pissed at this right now and I'm all in for reddit making the api a paid feature now, not ever even gonna use it myself and hey they gotta make money somehow. (insert swearword starting with f) the protest honestly

100% agreed here! I'm supporting reddit, not the mods. There are many many people looking to replace the current set of mods as plenty of people will work for free to mod a popular subreddit. Being a mod of a popular subreddit is a privilege, reddit should take away that privilege from anyone throwing a hissyfit and taking their community hostage.
Yep and honestly I haven't really looked into this whole api mess with reddit. I'm all for open source but it really makes sense for reddit to make the api a paid feature, it's not cheap running an api with all the people with their shitty sideprojects making tons of useless http requests all around.

Reddit is basically killing 2 birds in 1 stone as far as I can see. Make the api paid so server costs go way down and then make it paid so they can also make money out of it at the same time while simultaneously stopping the aforementioned shitty sideprojects from sucking all that juicy server upkeep cost.

If some dedicated group or individual actually want to make something useful with the api then good for them but then there's a price involved. A free tier of plan on the api is good though, don't know if they have that as a feature but honestly don't even care.

Like you said, holding the community hostage over this is just asinine. Path of Exile subreddit might be unofficial but it's the main goddamn frontpage of everything poe related on the web. Why is this a thing, even more so during the sunrise of the biggest hype this game has ever seen

EDIT: also it should not for the mods to decide to shut something like this down, the poe subreddit might be theirs to control but that is something that has grown organically over the years to be what it is today. Without it we would have other channels like discord or poe forums to look info in. Like the guy previously said it's a privilige to be mod on the reddit. This is just abusing power
Last edited by mikkojh on Jun 15, 2023, 7:12:39 AM
I think we can thank our AI overlords for this one. How will ChatGPT answer your poe questions without access to reddit.
"
mikkojh wrote:

the problem rather is people don't use this official forum and instead of rely on third parties forum's up vote system
This is the start of forum signature: I am not a GGG employee. About the username: Did you know Kowloon Gundam is made in Neo Hong Kong?

quote from the first page: "Please post one thread per issue, and check the forum for similar posts first"

This is the end of forum signature
well, reddit is still the best option for any game related discussion/memes/whining so I really hope poe subreddit comes back online but honestly I wouldn't mind GGG taking the control of that back even if it's an echochamber for alot of retardation.

Whatnot with the api thing that I quess allows reddit moderators to moderate subreddit better? No idea what's the deal with that but if it's that hard to moderate reddits without third party api's then just quit being a mod instead of doing some batshit insane blackout.

Best case would be for GGG to hire a couple of half-time mods and pay out small amount of actual money for mods that have to work overtime if the mod-related api goes offline but that's a pipedream. But definately needs to be a better system rather than where some mods on a powertrip decide to protest some reddit chance and just show a huge middlefinger to entire community.

Then simply quit being a mod and let the subreddit to devolve into chaos, it's not mods job to go all political about reddit, atleast then we would be forced to look for other options and even force ggg's hand to do something about.

so in short: who the fuck cares about the api chances, if they're really make it impossible for some 3rd party mod tools to keep up their service then just quit being a mod whoever you are instead of trying to be all political and pulling of shit like this. (but we all know mods are not gonna quit cause of the bigger epeen and powertrip they get, unless some actual rl stuff where they can't keep up with it anymore)

EDIT: hope that closer we get to poe 2 we will get a better system than this current one, imagine mods pulling stuff like this before or during exilecon. That would be actual money out of GGG's pocket yolo and a marketing related nightmare that could had been easily avoided

EDITEDIT: not dissing the mods (ok, maybe a bit), they're doing a huge thankless job with minimal rewards, but c'mon this isn't acceptable. I'd say the best option would be to just put poe subreddit on backburner moderating wise and let the chips fall where they may. -> GGG would actually have to step in unless they want to lose out on potential income/brand. Also longtermwise would be a better way to protest reddit as their platform would slowly develop into an even more incoherent mess than it is now
Last edited by mikkojh on Jun 15, 2023, 9:27:26 AM
"
hacp wrote:
"
mikkojh wrote:

100% agreed here! I'm supporting reddit, not the mods. There are many many people looking to replace the current set of mods as plenty of people will work for free to mod a popular subreddit. Being a mod of a popular subreddit is a privilege, reddit should take away that privilege from anyone throwing a hissyfit and taking their community hostage.

so, you agree that poe should make their apis a paid feature too, killing all free tools like poe.ninja that use them?

the free tools developed for reddit made moderating the channels easier, like poe tools make your gaming life easier ...

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
"
hacp wrote:
"
mikkojh wrote:

so, you agree that poe should make their apis a paid feature too, killing all free tools like poe.ninja that use them?

the free tools developed for reddit made moderating the channels easier, like poe tools make your gaming life easier ...

I agree that it's up to GGG to decide what to charge for their APIs. And if users don't like it and want to quit the game because of it, that's fine. But the community isn't being taken hostage in that scenario.

In addition, the mod tools aren't getting killed. Reddit already announced remedies to keep letting mods use tools, including free API access for mods if they use oauth authentication with a limit of 100 requests/min. Plus, free bots developed for moderator only usage can contact reddit and work out higher data limits.
Last edited by hacp on Jun 15, 2023, 9:54:41 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info