Alteration Orb Farmers Unite! : Join Alteration Orb Union Local # 7 Today!

"
b4dkarm4 wrote:
Alts to chaos are 16. "THAT" website which so many are quick to cite has alts to exalts at 280 ratio

If chaos are now going for 17:1 against exalts.

280/17 = 16.4

So yeah ...

Yup.... BUT... you can also see on THAT website that alts to Chaos are almost at 20:1 (56:3).
But the "boots on the ground" reality is more straight up then your Chaos/Exalts then back to Alts method.

Players see that 56:3 and go: "well, that's about 20:1" and just round up and imagine that is the reality.

The fact that your above math actually makes sense AND people are trying to devalue the Alt by saying 20:1 is just more fuel for the fire for our cause... it means that 20:1 was an arbitrary number to begin with.
Alteration Orb Union Local #7
Equal parts Cocteau Twins & Gang Starr
Last edited by PlNK on Mar 25, 2013, 1:46:35 PM
Haha this is a great post. Even better is the OP's signature. I support your cause.
"
PlNK wrote:
"
b4dkarm4 wrote:
Alts to chaos are 16. "THAT" website which so many are quick to cite has alts to exalts at 280 ratio

If chaos are now going for 17:1 against exalts.

280/17 = 16.4

So yeah ...

Yup.... BUT... you can also see on THAT website that alts to Chaos are almost at 20:1 (56:3).
But the "boots on the ground" reality is more straight up then your Chaos/Exalts then back to Alts method.

Players see that 56:3 and go: "well, that's about 20:1" and just round up and imagine that is the reality.

The fact that your above math actually makes sense AND people are trying to devalue the Alt by saying 20:1 is just more fuel for the fire for our cause... it means that 20:1 was an arbitrary number to begin with.

I have that website and exilestats pulled up in two tabs next to each other.

Saturday "that" website had a coniption fit and had alts to exalts at 360 or something to 1.

0_o
IGN: Deacon_Fel
"
PlNK wrote:

Now lets look at the other side of the equation... our customers who buy Alts by the stack. Who are they, and what do they need Alts so much for?

Well... they are not using them to get the rolls they need on their blue gear, I can tell you that. They use them to tweak their maps of course. Alts are a luxury item for them. Let me clarify this for us lowly Alt farmers... A LUXURY item. Could they make their own damn Alts to do their map tweaking? Sure they could, but most of them won't. They are not going to take hours and hours making Alt Orbs when they would rather be running maps to find their freaky gear.

Just like a millionaire will most likely not be mowing their own lawn or washing their car by hand in the driveway, high rollers are not going to be making their own Alts. That is where WE come in.

Theoretically, a map-runner trading chaos for alts at fair market value (whatever it may be) is a win-win situation for both parties. This is because map-runners have a comparative advantage at farming chaos compared to alt-farmers, while alt-farmers have a comparative advantage at farming alts.

With the change to the chaos recipe so that you only get chaos orbs with ilevel 60+ items, players who have not reached end game cannot produce chaos orbs from rares. A high level character on the other hand, can produce chaos (and if they choose to do so, alts as well) at a much higher efficiency by running maps with increased item quantity gear. However, every rare that is looted off a map can only be used for one of two orb-production methods, either to vendor for alts, or recipe-vendor for chaos. Which choice would create the most total value for society overall?

To understand why it is a win-win situation for map-runners to focus on chaos and everyone else to focus on alts, take a look at this example:

The doctor and the lawn mower
Consider a doctor and a lawn mower. In each hour, the doctor can choose between working at a hospital and treating one patient or mowing two lawns, while the lawn mower can only mow one lawn in the same time (and cannot treat patients). This means that there are two possible outcomes:

a) 1 patient treated, 1 lawn mown
b) 0 patients treated, 3 lawns mown

Now for the sake of argument, lets say that
1 patient treated = 10 happiness points
1 lawn mown = 1 happiness points.
This means that the total happiness produced by the two options are as follows:

a) 11 happiness points
b) 3 happiness points

As you can see, society gets more happiness points overall if the doctor focuses on doctoring while the lawn mower focuses on lawn mowing, because the lawn mower cannot treat patients, and it would be a better use of the doctor's time to be treating patients than mowing lawns.

This example applies any time you replace "patients treat" with a relatively more useful thing (ie, chaos orb), and "lawns mown" with a relatively less useful thing (ie, alt orb).

However, all that being said, the actual price at which the chaos to alteration trade takes place is set between the buyer and the seller in bargaining. If there are many alt-farmers and only a few alt buyers (map-runners), than it becomes easier for the map-runners to shop around and only take the highest offer from the alt farmers. This of course causes the alt to chaos ratio to increase. From an economic standpoint, the high price of chaos compared to alts is perfectly valid due to the greater utility and lower quantity of chaos compared to alts.

However, from a social-justice perspective, a case can be made for reducing the gap between high-earners and low-earners in a society. From this perspective, it would be fully justified for alt farmers to coordinate themselves in order to increase their bargaining power and hold the line on alt prices.

Personally, although I understand the economic principles behind the income disparity that inevitably results from the neccessary use of division of labour to increase economic productivity, I also think that a certain degree of social-justice is required in any society that aspires to be a good place to live in. In addition, I am an alt-farmer myself, and class solidarity is the only way for the downtrodden to improve their lot. Thus, I will gladly join the Alteration Orb Union and do my part to hold the line on the 16:1 ratio.

---

TL;DR
Alteration farmers of Wraeclast, unite!

"Holding the line, on sixteen to one!"
Last edited by VoxelSquid on Mar 25, 2013, 2:06:19 PM
Spoiler
Fun things, Sad things... We can't share everything, But what we can, we should share... That is what it means to be a guild. A single persons happiness is everyone's happiness. A single persons anger is everyone's anger. And a single person's tears are everyone's tears.
Last edited by scriptmonkey on Mar 25, 2013, 2:15:18 PM
"
VoxelSquid wrote:
... I am an alt-farmer myself, and class solidarity is the only way for the downtrodden to improve their lot. Thus, I will gladly join the Alteration Orb Union and do my part to hold the line on the 16:1 ratio.

---

TL;DR

Superior piece of writing brother. You are hired as one of our Lawyers.

(If you wish, please add "Alteration Orb Union Local #7" to your signature.)
wtb alts 18:1 chaos.
"They... Eats... The Mens..."
IGN: M_Judge
"
PlNK wrote:
"
VoxelSquid wrote:
... I am an alt-farmer myself, and class solidarity is the only way for the downtrodden to improve their lot. Thus, I will gladly join the Alteration Orb Union and do my part to hold the line on the 16:1 ratio.

---

TL;DR

Superior piece of writing brother. You are hired as one of our Lawyers.

(If you wish, please add "Alteration Orb Union Local #7" to your signature.)

I did! Came up with a slogan too :)
"Holding the line, on sixteen to one!"
"
PlNK wrote:
Viva La Alt Orb Union!

must... make... hailrake... drop... more... stuff...
I need more purple titles
"
Ocylix wrote:
"
PlNK wrote:
Viva La Alt Orb Union!

must... make... hailrake... drop... more... stuff...

"Help HC: Close a Portal"

Sounds like you have a cause you are advocating for as well.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info