Alienware: Which one should I buy?

"
midnightmare wrote:
Don't buy Alienware. Seriously. They're worse than Apple. All they do is assemble a computer and increase the cost by ~200%. Find which rig you prefer, and buy all the parts individually. You will save a LOT of money. Hell, upgrade. Get something better than you're currently shopping for. You'll still end up with some spare dosh.
Don't worry about assembly. It's like LEGO without the creativity. Easier than assembling furniture from IKEA.
And let me tell you.. NOTHING is more satisfying than hearing your creation boot up for the first time. Not even the laughter of your newborn babby, to put it in a similar context.

O.o I don' really think of hearing your newborn son/daughter's laugh is satisfying...that just sounds wrong. It should be happiness. And I doubt creating your own rig *with thunder in the background* and screaming ''IT'S ALIVE!!!'' is more satisfying. Anyway...I am going to check out JME, a swedish website I believe...that builds computers. So, incase you're wondering why I haven't been looking into this thread for some time...let me put it into one word: School. That and thank you in advance.
Your mind is your enemy. Your mind will make you insane sooner or later. As for me..well, you can say that I am.
Well, sorry for not posting here in a while. A bit of an update on the thread: After looking at the websites that GivingUpTheGhost recommended I couldn't choose. So when I was reading the latest PCG that came in the postbox a week ago I saw an ad in the last page: jmedata.se A website with swedish developers. So here is the link of the computer I might get:

http://www.jmedata.se/PartDetail.aspx?q=p:4121837;c:100799

Notice that the language on this website is swedish. So it might be a good idea to translate the page if you can. Well, that's all. If there is any questions or anything...or if you think that this might be a bad choice..then just post here and tell me why you think I shouldn't do that. To sum it up: There's a high chance i'm getting this one.
Your mind is your enemy. Your mind will make you insane sooner or later. As for me..well, you can say that I am.
Spending more than $1500 tops on a computer is a giant waste... just wanted to say that.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
Seriously, build your own. The satisfaction+ price difference is totally worth it.
Geez, do you really have to repeat what everyone else has said? It's getting tiresome goddamnit. One more thing; If I wanted to build my own computer...would I even make a thread about getting a new computer? No I wouldn't. The reason why I am even writing on this thread is because I want to get a new computer without building it. Honestly, is that so hard to understand? I might sound harsh when I say this..but it is getting tiresome watching several persons here write the same thing over and over. So I apologize if I look like an ass while writing this..haha. Anyway...that's all I wanted to say.

P.S The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim look effing beast!
Building your own can be a pain... more of a pain than most people want; however I stand by what I stated... unless you are filthy rich, don't spend more than $1500. Computer pricing is like wine or cars...

A $500 computer will run low end current stuff.
A $1000 computer will run everything now at high quality, and will last a few years.
A $1500 computer will run everything at max, and will last a few more years.
A $3000 computer is only slightly better than a $1500 computer and will last only perhaps 6 months longer.
A $5000 computer is only slightly better than a $3000 computer and will last only perhaps 12 months longer.

Diminishing returns quickly after $1500. I suggest buying off craigslist from someone else who built a custom computer. That is how I did it, and I only paid $1200 for $3100 worth of parts.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
zeto wrote:
Building your own can be a pain... more of a pain than most people want; however I stand by what I stated... unless you are filthy rich, don't spend more than $1500. Computer pricing is like wine or cars...

A $500 computer will run low end current stuff.
A $1000 computer will run everything now at high quality, and will last a few years.
A $1500 computer will run everything at max, and will last a few more years.
A $3000 computer is only slightly better than a $1500 computer and will last only perhaps 6 months longer.
A $5000 computer is only slightly better than a $3000 computer and will last only perhaps 12 months longer.

Diminishing returns quickly after $1500. I suggest buying off craigslist from someone else who built a custom computer. That is how I did it, and I only paid $1200 for $3100 worth of parts.

I believe the website offers to make you your own custom PC. Well, atleast you choose the parts you want. If that's what you're meaning.

Edit: By website I mean jmedata.se If you want to check out the website...take note that the language on the website is in swedish. So i'd use google translate if I were you. Unless of course..you understand swedish :P
Last edited by EvilMegaCookie on Oct 20, 2011, 2:37:30 PM
yeah I checked it out.. the one you linked was the reason I stated that it was perhaps unwise to pay more than $1500 usd... I think the quoted price was like 16k francs (I think this is the currency)
"
zeto wrote:
yeah I checked it out.. the one you linked was the reason I stated that it was perhaps unwise to pay more than $1500 usd... I think the quoted price was like 16k francs (I think this is the currency)
ke

It's not that bad since if we compare that computer with my own...oh boy, it's like trying to compare a small rock with Mount Everest. If i'd have high hopes about this set-up hen i'd hope for it to be able to run Skyrim at 30+ FPS at Very High or even Extreme. I know that it sounds crazy..but it's quite reasonable expectations...right? Right?! And I looked through my collection of PCG and found a guide on how to build a computer. Might not be the most detailed guide around but it might suffice if I one day decide to try and build my own computer. If it can run at Very High with 30+ FPS with the Nividia GeForce 580 GTX card then i'm a happy man.

Edit: corrected the word ''FPS'' originally I wrote seting. Wasn't my intention^^
Last edited by EvilMegaCookie on Oct 21, 2011, 11:58:58 AM
(GPU)EVGA 02G-P3-1559-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video
Card - 339$

(PSU) High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - 149$

(MOBO) GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - 149$

(CPU) Intel Core i5-2400S Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400S - ~200$

(HD) Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit - 214$

(RAM) Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Desktop Memory Model 996988 - 54$

(KeyBoard) Logitech 920-000914 Black 106 Normal Keys USB Wired Ultra-thin Illuminated Keyboard - 59$

(Monitor) ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000000:1 (ASCR) - 189$

(Mouse) RAZER Imperator Black USB Wired Laser 5600 dpi Ergonomic Gaming Mouse - 69$

(Cd-Drive) ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS - OEM - 99$

Grand Total = 1521$ (without tax)

Build i modified for you how mid level gear that should last a few years.

I recommend buying Windows 7 64 bit professional

As well as Kaspersky Anti virus

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info