Alienware: Which one should I buy?

Yes..which one should I buy? Alienware Aurora..or the Area 51 ALX...OR(!)the newer one (i think) Alienware A51-6879? Let me know what you think. And don't begin writing about how much cheaper it is to build a new computer..as that is not what the thread is about. The thread is about which one out of these three I should buy for maximum gaming performance.
Your mind is your enemy. Your mind will make you insane sooner or later. As for me..well, you can say that I am.
Dude .. Asus g74 ... nough said.

1200 for a laptop that can fork over 3gb video card and 12 - 24gb of ram ... dual screen etc.

If you want to fork over that much money get the razer blade for $2800
"
Kaffien wrote:
Dude .. Asus g74 ... nough said.

1200 for a laptop that can fork over 3gb video card and 12 - 24gb of ram ... dual screen etc.

If you want to fork over that much money get the razer blade for $2800

That isn't what I was asking in the post..but thanks anyway..I guess. And I am not looking for a damn laptop. I'm actually looking for a desktop computer. Well, a stationary one. Which one of these three as mentioned in the first post do you think I should get?
Your mind is your enemy. Your mind will make you insane sooner or later. As for me..well, you can say that I am.
None of them dude. especially the desktop line. They are built by DELL.

Get ye to originpc.com and build a real computer.

Or befriend a geek and get him to build one from scratch.

Dell ... like napster... BAD!

Sorry bout the mis understanding I auto associated alienware with laptops.
That being said the third option is the baddest / most expensive.

HOWEVER, most reviews state that the third video card doesnt do much for performance.

dual graphics cards seem to be the best option.

I'd go with the Area 51 (none alx one) and customize it from there the aurora doesn't have as many cpu / graphics options. If you want the liquid cooling however and have the cash to spend get the area 51 alx.

Anything with an i7 cpu is going to be fine for a long time.
What specs are you wanting? Each of the models you listed doesn't give specifics as to what you're wanting.
A solid processor, graphics card and power supply and you're golden.
6+ gigs of ram is commonplace nowadays with newer pc's.
If you can afford it I'd go an SSD hard drive to keep things snappy.
More details and I think we can be more subjective.
"
Anything with an i7 cpu is going to be fine for a long time.
What specs are you wanting? Each of the models you listed doesn't give specifics as to what you're wanting.
A solid processor, graphics card and power supply and you're golden.
6+ gigs of ram is commonplace nowadays with newer pc's.
If you can afford it I'd go an SSD hard drive to keep things snappy.
More details and I think we can be more subjective.

Well..if possible (i'm like a 5-year old trying to learn chess, hah.)since I think that you are asking what specs I want...you mean what kind of computer I want? I'm sorry..but that had me kind of confused. Well, if you know a really good computer that can take on latest games like Crysis 2..Rift..and Path Of Exile at Very High (ultra even?)..i'd like you to link one if you can. If, that's what you're asking. And..my computer spec is at the moment;

Windows Vista Home Premium
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
RAM: 2,00 GB
Nividia GeForce 9600
WDC WD3200AAUS-07B4A0 ATA Device
Screen: Acer PnP (?)
ACPI x86-based PC

That's all I guess.
First off: unless you're planning on doing hardcore 3D rendering, you don't need a third video card. Even two 6990s or 6970s is overkill. There's no game currently on the market that will need or use that kind of GPU power.

You also really don't need an overclocked i5/i7 2500k. Again, unless you're running some sort of server farm or something. That chip is currently really close to the top of the line, and no game will need that much CPU power, either. If it were an older chip I could justify overclocking to get a longer life out of it, but a new one? Why?

Also, 16GB of RAM is excessive. Most programs wouldn't know what to do with all that RAM if you paid them. I have 8GB in my system and I rarely go over 4-5GB of RAM usage...and that's with some epic multitasking.

But to be perfectly honest with you: I would not buy Alienware. Not in a million years. First of all: Dell. 'Nuff said.

Second: they're not made of quality materials. A friend of mine had an Alienware laptop where the case literally fell to pieces after a few months of use.

Third, and perhaps most importantly: holy Hannah are those things over-priced. The Area-51 ALX is $3,500! Looking at its specs, there's nothing in there to justify that kind of a price tag. Nothing.

Out of curiosity I went through and threw all the baseline items into a cart at NewEgg, along with an appropriate case, PSU and motherboard. End price? $2,031.88.

Cheap? No. Cheaper than Alienware? By over $1,000. Is a name brand really worth that much to you?
"
Yes..which one should I buy? Alienware Aurora..or the Area 51 ALX...OR(!)the newer one (i think) Alienware A51-6879? Let me know what you think. And don't begin writing about how much cheaper it is to build a new computer..as that is not what the thread is about. The thread is about which one out of these three I should buy for maximum gaming performance.

don't buy an alienware, get a normal desktop of the same price, you'll be better for it because half the cost of the alienware is for the brand name, I could easily buy a computer for the same price that far outweighs an alienware in ability to play games.
I wouldn't choose Alienware, it's really overpriced, you should ask around in forums/friends/etc. to build you a gaming PC.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info