Alienware: Which one should I buy?

"
tole wrote:
(GPU)EVGA 02G-P3-1559-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video
Card - 339$

(PSU) High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - 149$

(MOBO) GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - 149$

(CPU) Intel Core i5-2400S Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400S - ~200$

(HD) Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit - 214$

(RAM) Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Desktop Memory Model 996988 - 54$

(KeyBoard) Logitech 920-000914 Black 106 Normal Keys USB Wired Ultra-thin Illuminated Keyboard - 59$

(Monitor) ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000000:1 (ASCR) - 189$

(Mouse) RAZER Imperator Black USB Wired Laser 5600 dpi Ergonomic Gaming Mouse - 69$

(Cd-Drive) ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS - OEM - 99$

Grand Total = 1521$ (without tax)

Build i modified for you how mid level gear that should last a few years.

I recommend buying Windows 7 64 bit professional

As well as Kaspersky Anti virus

Thanks for the build. As I am not a computer expert nor am I knowledgeable about it...so I can't really say what I think about it. The price seems fairly good though. But yet again, I am not a person suited for rating this. But thanks for giving me the build. Then may I ask you this: How do you think it will run Skyrim? Or Rift for that matter. And i'd like to change the mouse to a R.A.T 7. I love the look of that mouse and I have tested the feeling of holding the mouse. Simply excellent. So, how do you think it will run Skyrim/Rift? Take note that Rift and Skyrim are completely different games. Rift is an MMO which might take a bit more on the computer since there will be lots of players where I am. Skyrim might not be as taxing though. But I hope that this build might be able to run Skyrim at Very High with maybe..30+ FPS? Thanks in advance for taking your time writing this.
Your mind is your enemy. Your mind will make you insane sooner or later. As for me..well, you can say that I am.
I remember when I stopped playing EverQuest I sold everything on my account and then my account and I ended up with 2.8k dollars. I bought an alienware Laptop (That had SLI).

It lasted me up to now. It can still play games that are coming out (MMO's at least I never really play offline games). But it would start overheating and I would have to keep it cool.

Over priced? Surely. Worth it? Maybe.

The computer I have now I built myself buying all the parts where I could find them cheapest. I definitely saved a lot of money and feel more proud of it than my laptop.

So either way you go really works. If you are on a budget building a computer is always the better route but if you don't really care about the money the alienware is not a bad route to go.
I recently had a friend build a computer and he literally said: "Computers are so simple now, that buying one is stupid... all you have to do is put the square peg in the square hole... and it saves you 30%."

I tend to agree... everything now is color coded and each plug only fits into the right slot... it's very difficult to go wrong.

Also, buying the top line video cards is a waste of money. You can get 95% their performance for half the price just by going down a step.

If you are REALLY worried about playing these games at max settings... just wait a year :P If you always play a game a year or so after it launches, not only will you get access to all the patches and expansions, but you'll also have access to video cards that can EASILY play it at max.

The way to do it is not to ask: can I build a computer that can play new games at max... because that mandates the best equipment which is artificially inflated in price about 200%.

Playing the highest intensity games might require a system that costs $2500+... but in 6 months it'll only require $1500... and in 6 months your $2500 computer is worth $1800 or less.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
"
tole wrote:
(GPU)EVGA 02G-P3-1559-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video
Card - 339$

(PSU) High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply - 149$

(MOBO) GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard - 149$

(CPU) Intel Core i5-2400S Sandy Bridge 2.5GHz (3.3GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 65W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52400S - ~200$

(HD) Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2CCA 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with Transfer Kit - 214$

(RAM) Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Desktop Memory Model 996988 - 54$

(KeyBoard) Logitech 920-000914 Black 106 Normal Keys USB Wired Ultra-thin Illuminated Keyboard - 59$

(Monitor) ASUS VS Series VS247H-P Black 23.6" 2ms LED Backlight Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 50000000:1 (ASCR) - 189$

(Mouse) RAZER Imperator Black USB Wired Laser 5600 dpi Ergonomic Gaming Mouse - 69$

(Cd-Drive) ASUS Black 12X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 12X DVD-RAM 8X BD-ROM 8MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS - OEM - 99$

Grand Total = 1521$ (without tax)

Build i modified for you how mid level gear that should last a few years.

I recommend buying Windows 7 64 bit professional

As well as Kaspersky Anti virus

Thanks for the build. As I am not a computer expert nor am I knowledgeable about it...so I can't really say what I think about it. The price seems fairly good though. But yet again, I am not a person suited for rating this. But thanks for giving me the build. Then may I ask you this: How do you think it will run Skyrim? Or Rift for that matter. And i'd like to change the mouse to a R.A.T 7. I love the look of that mouse and I have tested the feeling of holding the mouse. Simply excellent. So, how do you think it will run Skyrim/Rift? Take note that Rift and Skyrim are completely different games. Rift is an MMO which might take a bit more on the computer since there will be lots of players where I am. Skyrim might not be as taxing though. But I hope that this build might be able to run Skyrim at Very High with maybe..30+ FPS? Thanks in advance for taking your time writing this.

The processor i suggested is a quad core second gen i5, with low wattage and hyper threading which would help rending lots of information supplied at once such as rift. I have not played rift however but based on many MMO's out there it would do quite fine. As for graphics they will run each game easily 30 fps very high settings only lagging maybe if huge amounts of action is happening at once.

This system is well off for i'd say the next two years of gaming if there are no huge revolutions of graphics implemented into them (hardware has almost always been ahead of the programs that utilize it). So no worries on having to upgrade anytime soon for a bear minimum of 1 year.

-Ghost

These games don't come remotely close to taxing systems unless you are playing on max settings, of which you probably don't own the necessary monitor, since those monitors cost more than the computer in some cases :P

The thing is, at best you'll be playing at 1200... but more likely at 1080 or 1050 or 1024... in which case your system doesn't matter as long as it was bought in the last 4 years.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
So guys...how about...this one!

Taurus Ultra

processor
manufacturer Intel
Model Core i7, 2600K
Number of cores 4
Speed ​​3.4 GHz
Graphics
manufacturer Nvidia
Model KFA2 GeForce GTX 570, SLI
Speed ​​732 MHz
Memory 1280 MB GDDR5
Hard Drive
Size 120GB, Corsair Force GT Series
Size 2000 GB, Samsung storage drive (5400rpm)
Connecting SATA 6.0 Gb / s
memory
Size 16 GB Corsair 1600MHz CL9 VENGEANCE
Memory type DDR3, 1600MHz
Maximum memory size of 32 GB
communications
Bluetooth No
modem No
Network Yes, 10/100/1000 Mbit / s
Wireless network No.
connections
VGA output No
HDMI Output Yes, mini HDMI v1.4a
DVI Output Yes
DisplayPort output No.
USB 2.0 4, +3 pc internal
USB 3.0 x 2, +1 st internal
Firewire port No.
eSATA port No.
Parallel Port No.
Serial Port No.
PS2 port No.
TV out (S-VHS) No.
Measurements
Width 230 mm
Depth 496 mm
Height 480 mm
Weight 18 kg Weight
Other
Optical Drive Yes, DVD ± RW
Motherboard MSI Z68A-GD55 G3
Sound card Yes, Realtek ALC892 7.1
Memory Card Reader No.
Cabinet Taurus HAF Mini Tower
PSU 850W Corsair TX, Modular
Software Included Drivers
Operating Systems Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Other Battlefield 3 (PC) included
Warranty 2 years

All in all about 1,500 dollar.
Your mind is your enemy. Your mind will make you insane sooner or later. As for me..well, you can say that I am.
That computer is listed at 18000 Kr or nearly $2700-3200.

Do you even own the monitor that goes with that power? Those monitors cost an extra $1200 MINIMUM off newegg.

If you have enough money you can consider a $3000+ computer system, why bother asking here? Just buy the best stuff you can find.
"
zeto wrote:
These games don't come remotely close to taxing systems unless you are playing on max settings, of which you probably don't own the necessary monitor, since those monitors cost more than the computer in some cases :P

The thing is, at best you'll be playing at 1200... but more likely at 1080 or 1050 or 1024... in which case your system doesn't matter as long as it was bought in the last 4 years.

I am starting to become a fan of buying Walmart specials. Bought this one for $500. Upgraded the video card and memory when I was able to. Now going to try and upgrade the processor. The computer still runs on Windows XP , so there isn't much more I can do to it.

I am fairly sure the processor is compatible with the motherboard. The only thing I am not sure of is how to install the processor. It says it will set up everything through the BIOS. The manual tells how to install a CPU in a brand new motherboard. It doesn't say how to install it in a motherboard that already had a CPU in it.

It is as 3.2Ghz Dual Core CPU. The one I am currently using is 2.0Ghz Single Core.

Hopefully I don't fry anything when I do this.

Edit:
OK, looked up the Windows XP limits. Looks like I can't use the processor. Will have to do something else. Looks like it is time for a new computer.

Edit:
I am confused now.
Will XP support Dual Core CPUs?
Last edited by Lebowitz on Nov 2, 2011, 11:52:56 PM
"
Lebowitz wrote:
"
zeto wrote:

I am starting to become a fan of buying Walmart specials. Bought this one for $500. Upgraded the video card and memory when I was able to. Now going to try and upgrade the processor. The computer still runs on Windows XP , so there isn't much more I can do to it.

I am fairly sure the processor is compatible with the motherboard. The only thing I am not sure of is how to install the processor. It says it will set up everything through the BIOS. The manual tells how to install a CPU in a brand new motherboard. It doesn't say how to install it in a motherboard that already had a CPU in it.

It is as 3.2Ghz Dual Core CPU. The one I am currently using is 2.0Ghz Single Core.

Hopefully I don't fry anything when I do this.

Edit:
OK, looked up the Windows XP limits. Looks like I can't use the processor. Will have to do something else. Looks like it is time for a new computer.

What does XP have to do with the processor? The motherboard determines what hardware you can support. The OS can determine the amount of address space based on if it's 32 or 64 bit.
"
zeto wrote:

What does XP have to do with the processor? The motherboard determines what hardware you can support. The OS can determine the amount of address space based on if it's 32 or 64 bit.

I was looking up wikipedia and got confused. It says that XP can only support only one physical processor.

Don't know what the difference is between a physical processor and a logical one.

Seems Windows 7 has a similar limitation. So I think the CPU will be OK.

I am good on hardware. Not software though.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info