Alienware: Which one should I buy?

Laptops are not suitable for gaming, however the best laptop for gaming will be one with a SSD, any amount of RAM above 4GB, and as powerful a single gpu as possible.... basically the same requirements as a desktop, but with extra considerations for size and power consumption.
If you have account problems please [url="http://www.pathofexile.com/support"]Email Support[/url]
"
"
brutaliz wrote:
If you wanna go extreme, i'll try to help ya out:)

There's some parts i recommend:

CPU: INTEL CORE I7-2600K can easily overclock over 4.0ghz with almost any aftermarket cooler. Or you can wait till AMD "bulldozer" series will show up and read some benchamarks to help you decide.

MB: ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME-Z, tough and sturdy motherboard with very high quality components for example vrm in this board is as good as money can buy. Which means voltage will be very stable. And ofc it will overclock like hell:D

VGA: Nvidia GTX580 single or sli(i recommend sli). Radeons is a bit behind atm.

RAM: 8gb dual channel rams. Dont look at frequency only because the higher frequency, the crapier timings will be.
1600mhz frequency and CL8 timings is the best of bouth worlds.

Oh and btw. Atlest 1 SSD is highly recommended. Especially to serve as a boot drive, which will make OS start alot faster and run a bit faster aswell.
PSU: Go for ~1000w to 1200w supply with good efficiency (80+ silver for example). I suggest looking at corsair Power supplies, they'r known for very high quality producks. And dont worry your power supply wont draw 1.2kw from a socket. Its always good to leave some breathing room for your PSU cuz it will run cooler and quieter and ofc will serve you longer.

Got any questions? Feel free to /pm me :)

Any chassi you could recommend? Oh..and how much would the cost be? That would also be a good thing to know^^ How long do you think this build could last? And...does it support direct x11? Well, thanks for taking your time to write all of this^^ Maybe I should buy the Black Pearl and...well..start to take out things and replace it with these things you mentioned? How would that be, you think? Thanks in advance.

Depends on how much ur willing to spend on chassis, what chassis you need full tower or mid tower?
I'll give some examples for ya.
Antec - Three Hundred probably the best value chasis with good airflow.
CORSAIR 800D FULL-TOWER - Very well built chassis with alot of features.
Cooler Master HAF 932 Mid Tower - A very popular case with very good airflow, but it has no dust filters which may be an issue if you dont like cleaning your pc very often.
Antec Twelve Hundred - Good old Full tower case. Very sturdy with thick panels very good airflow, but not for peeps who are too lazy to touch a screw... i personally prefer handscrews instead of plasticky "1 touch" mounting crap.

Price depens on your region i suggest just to look for these items at any e-tailer at your country.

Ofc it will support DX11.

Talking about future. This build will last a long time.
For example... i have an older version of i7 cpu (920) overlocked to 4.0ghz since it came out. which was quite a long time ago and its still a beast and i dont even think about upgrading any day soon.

1st thing u probably change is VGA cuz graphic cards gets old fastest. So is up to you if you wanna invest in SLI.
Last edited by brutaliz on Sep 12, 2011, 11:54:39 AM
About that "black pearl".
Its just overkill. You wont need a i7 980x six core cpu.
Unless your planning on doing some serious video rendering.
Also watercooling is not nessesary.

And i suggest to stay away from intel 320 series SSD's cuz they have some architecture problems.

Never ever buy a pc of a shelf. It will always cost more.
Its always better to build one your self.
Last edited by brutaliz on Sep 12, 2011, 12:20:01 PM
I am with a good portion of the posters here and build it yourself. If you don't know how, there are places out there that can do it for you and you still save an egregious amount of money. What you are buying with alienware, is like buying designer clothes; it is the name that is important. Break away from the concept that what you are getting is "hip" and "cool" and just get a powerhouse PC built to your requirements. Don't let these prebuilt computers tell you what you want. Sometimes they just load stuff on there that has no real performance enhancement in comparison to other products.
EVEN if you said "dont tell me to build a pc" Im going to go against this... Why would you want to buy an alienware pc. Just "because"? Because they look all fancy, because of brand...?

I mean you can get just as good and better for way cheaper if you just know what your buying... if your not sure there are number of internet sites that have ppl discussing about this topic (building pc)

Dont really know how to answer your question though... (probably 'cause I would never buy alienware..)

E: Oh and theres really nothing cool about Alienware anyway... its like a pretty candy wrapped into shiny paper but inside you find... disappointment. :P
P67 Extreme4 - Intel Core i7-2600K CPU @ 3,40Ghz (8 core)-Sandy Bridge - SeaSonic SS-620GB 620W - G.Skill RipJaws DDR3 1600, 16Gbytes - R6950 MSi Twin Frozr III - Thermalright X-Silent 140 - Fractal Design Define R3, Black Pearl - Scythe SlipStream 120mm x 3
Last edited by NekotaJiji on Sep 12, 2011, 12:35:09 PM
Alienware to be honest, is a bit expensive for what your getting. For laptops, I might lean because customization can become rather limited but for desktop, its honest more cost effective to pick out parts and have it built. Most stores offer this service anyways and you would sometimes save up to a few hundred or up to a thousand dollars.

Also, Ive been told that aleinware tend to overheat or at least pump out a lot of heat.
If you want to go with a gaming laptop, keep saving up for the new Razor Switchblade when it comes out. That thing does look amazing and could work incredibly well with games like Path of Exile.

Also that offers something to the table for features that differentiate itself from any other gaming laptop and although incredibly pricey, could be worth it.
"
If you want to go with a gaming laptop, keep saving up for the new Razor Switchblade when it comes out. That thing does look amazing and could work incredibly well with games like Path of Exile.

Also that offers something to the table for features that differentiate itself from any other gaming laptop and although incredibly pricey, could be worth it.

Overhyped and overpriced laptop. Who cares about that display near keyboard? You wont look at it during gaming cuz you will be focusing at monitor. And ofc you can get lappy with same specs for a half price.
Its basically same shit as alienware.
Last edited by brutaliz on Sep 12, 2011, 1:34:25 PM
Guys..there are some things I probably have to clarify: I am not looking for a goddamn laptop =) And thanks for the info you gave me. And overkill? Sounds like a good thing to me^^ I'll check these things out. Thank you for taking your time to respond! This is not the end though..oh no, it definitely isn't...*evil laugh* I am going to ask a lot more things..a damn lot more >:)
Your mind is your enemy. Your mind will make you insane sooner or later. As for me..well, you can say that I am.
"
Guys..there are some things I probably have to clarify: I am not looking for a goddamn laptop =) And thanks for the info you gave me. And overkill? Sounds like a good thing to me^^ I'll check these things out. Thank you for taking your time to respond! This is not the end though..oh no, it definitely isn't...*evil laugh* I am going to ask a lot more things..a damn lot more >:)

Overkill or not, but you dont need a 6core/12thread cpu.
Its not better in any way than the one i suggested.
Even worse because its for x58 chipset, which will be replaced by intel on near future.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info