Serious question: Why are people like this?

I'm just gonna leave this here to jog some folks' memories:

https://youtu.be/gM5SFgYbTaY?t=3663

='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
"
Raycheetah wrote:

='[.]'=

I started to watch, saw what it was, and shut it. I don't need more fuel for this flame :P
"
Nubatron wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:

='[.]'=

I started to watch, saw what it was, and shut it. I don't need more fuel for this flame :P

i just got more salty thats all. fk me for wanting better poe 1
"
anti4z500 wrote:

i just got more salty thats all. fk me for wanting better poe 1

Yeah, I'm already borderline on next steps for me. That video would have just pushed me over the edge.
"
Nubatron wrote:
"
Reid777 wrote:
"
Nubatron wrote:
Why are people upset that they were sold one thing, supported based on that thing, and then had that thing completely change with no notice?

I can't imagine why....

(I Wonder how long they've known that these two games were going to be separate)

Again absolutely not true, PoE2 is what it always meant to be.
The difference is that instead of ceasing to exist PoE1 will still go on, which is great, isn't.

PoE2 was always meant to be massive overhaul of the game. Well, at least since it's reveal at Exilecon 2019.

[Removed by Support] They literally said they were the same game and shared the same end game. They discussed improvements to character models, changes to the skill gems systems, and many other things as shared improvements. That is not a lie. It's all there in 2019. Then, apparently in early 2020 they knew it was a separate game, which is not what they said in 2019, and they said nothing. Absolutely nothing.

You can pretend that there was some hint of them being separate games in 2019, but since they literally said they were the same game, who the fuck would be looking for it. Like fools, we believed them.

Yes, it was a massive overhaul. That's what they said. They also said it was for a shared game. Now POE1 doesn't get new character models, potentially gets less development time as it currently does now, and doesn't receive any of the overhauled systems.

So seriously, you might have fooled yourself into what constitutes a lie and does not, but by any objective measure: they lied starting in 2020. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that the 2019 ExileCon was the truth at the time. But when they knew it was no longer true and kept it to themselves, it became a lie of omission and took advantage of players good faith.

I think that's the problem with understanding or actually coping with what it was meant to be and difference between that and what some people hoped it to be.

It is very simple, PoE 2 is what it was meant to be.
There only 2 real differences here:
1. The old campaign is gone.
2. You cannot use use you old characters and items.

In regards to 1, well, not a bit loss, I would say.

In regard to point 2, characters and items would have to undergo difficult and complex process to port them into PoE2, this was discussed at Exilecon in 2019. I am highly doubtful, how useful would be those characters and items after such conversion process.

In short, if you do won't like PoE2 as a standalone game, then you wouldn't like it as an "update" either. Why? Because they are the same thing!
People are upset because they cannot handle the idea that stuff changes over a period of 4 years. They act like GGG intentionally tried to deceive or lie to them.

I understand the idea that they may not like the way POE 2 gameplay "looks" like it is going. The whining that they "lied" or "deceived" is a bit childish.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
Last edited by DS_Deadman on Jul 31, 2023, 3:07:03 PM
"
Nubatron wrote:
"
Raycheetah wrote:

='[.]'=

If you watched it in full, then second they footage, then PoE2 website at that time, then you would have avoided such a disappointment and grievance now.

Unfortunately people watching and digesting information, they preferred to imagine their own version of what PoE2 is going to be.
"
Nubatron wrote:

(I Wonder how long they've known that these two games were going to be separate)

Most likely this was a decision made to give players an alternative to Diablo 4 seasons . By the time people are ending POE 1 league , instead of going to play D4 , a new POE 2 league starts , to keep them in the loop .
Simple

- We were told that our decade-long investment into the original game, would in some way carry over to PoE2. That it wouldn't be a complete fresh start because the versions of the game would run parallel.

Having a reaction to something being different to what you were told several years ago with radio silence since, is not hating. Just as you're not a white knight for generalising anyone who's not overwhelmed with joy at the mentioned above.

I'd imagine League-only players will be the least effected by the games' distinctions. Standard players on the other hand...

I'm struggling to come up with new goals to keep me playing this game.
"
DS_Deadman wrote:
People are upset because they cannot handle the idea that stuff changes over a period of 4 years. They act like GGG intentionally tried to deceive or lie to them.

I understand the idea that they may not like the way POE 2 gameplay "looks" like it is going. The whining that they "lied" or "deceived" is a bit childish.

Over four years? They knew it was a separate game shortly after ExileCon 2019. They knew in early 2020. The year is currently 2023 just to ensure we're all on the same page.

They knew. Said nothing. Let us continue to support knowing that some of us were supporting based on the last known information and kept it to themselves for over three years.

Some people will try to rationalize that as just supporting a game we enjoyed. Sure, that's true. But the amount of support for just keeping the servers on versus believing in the future state of the game are two very different things for me and I guarantee GGG business side knows that too.

A lie of omission is still a lie.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info