PoE 2 becoming a totally seperate game from PoE 1 is absolutely brilliant!

This will let GGG have so much more freedom to redesign the game while reducing community backlash.

1) Item Design Freedom: There were so many issues that would've come about with item bases/sockets. almost every PoE 1 item would have had to be reworked/rebalanced. I can only imagine the backlash and challenges this would've brought.

2) Skill Design Freedom: The change to support gems to not add damage is a huge positive for gameplay, but it would feel bad in PoE 1 to lose that power (just look what happened when they nerfed the damage only a little bit on support gems a few patches back)

3) Power Creep Fix: It feels bad when we have power and it gets taken away, even though the game is better when monsters present a challenge from start to finish. By separating the two games, they are free to make PoE 2 much more engaging/slower/challenging without making players feel like they got nerfed (no one complained back in the day when Piety/Dominus took 10 minutes to kill, because that was considered normal.) It's just a fresh start. I bet we will see only 1/30th of the complaints about power compared to if they kept PoE 1 and 2 the same game.

4) Misc. Design Freedom: GGG can finally get rid of instant logout, insane life recovery speeds, insane quantities of loot drops and other core mechanics that are the root of so many other issues that PoE 1 is balanced around.

TLDR: On PoE 1, players are used to having certain power/speed/mechanics, and once these expectations take hold, any reduction in power hurts, but on a fresh game, those expectations are reset.

And for people who hate the changes, PoE 1 will still be available to play!

Love what I've seen so far!

Last edited by KZA on Jul 28, 2023, 11:32:46 PM
Last bumped on Jan 3, 2024, 7:47:59 AM
It was great news, and they let keep us mtx which was the main reason i preffered the poe2 being just kind of expansion.

Many people think of stash tabs or store mtx... but what i care about is keeping those league cosmetics, those hold actual memories and pride of my previous achievements. and it will be cool to wear them while enjoying more modern take on this franchise
I feel pretty, Oh, so pretty,
I feel pretty, and witty and gay,
And I pity Any girl who isn’t me today!
AGREED!! Unexpected but totally makes sense!!
I've lost control of the controls...
Jesus take the wheel"
RAizQT during Kammel HC race
It's going to split the community which isn't a good thing.
General discussion gaming forums are almost always a cesspit of ignorance and trolls.
I doubt it will split the community to any great degree. The overwhelming bulk of Silent Casuals that simply play on their off hours and don't interact with the forum/Reddit community will move to PoE2. The bulk of Religion of Zoom people will stick with PoE1. Those two groups already never interacted; Religion of Zoom people don't really care about anyone but other Religion of Zoomers that blow through entire leagues in three days like them. That kernel of players was never going to go anywhere and don't interact with anyone else, so they're kind of invisible save when they complain on the forums.

I see it more likely as PoE2 developing its own independent community, with links to the original game's but not at all beholden to it. Which is perfectly fine. All the Religion of Zoom people that constantly bag on everyone else saying "go play something else if you hate Zoom Zoom so much!" will finally get exactly what they desired - all the Slow Filthy Casuals they hate so much will go play something else. And us 'Slow Filthy Casuals' will have such a massively improved game to enjoy, one that actually makes bloody sense.

Everybody wins, really.
my impression is that 90% of the current player base plays about 2-4 weeks of a league and then disappears til next league. with the leagues offset theres going to be no overlap during that new league window for either game.

its going to split off some of the 3% of people who only play standard league i guess. of which im often one but i will play the new game and the old game just like i also play diablo 4 and have continued to play diablo 3 since 2012 despite putting about 15k hours into poe.
I disagree. POE was built off player support leaving all those items from player support to RIP in a graveyard of POE1 while everyone moves on to POE2 just feels bad.
"
Furyofwar wrote:
I disagree. POE was built off player support leaving all those items from player support to RIP in a graveyard of POE1 while everyone moves on to POE2 just feels bad.

They're not going anywhere dude lol
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
"

Did they mention that at exilecon? I only watched the main stream that POE was hosting. If they confirmed this that's great news.
"

Did they mention that at exilecon? I only watched the main stream that POE was hosting. If they confirmed this that's great news.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info