Diablo 4 is the best DIABLO game but i've now lost interest in the franchise

Eh, the callbacks to D2 just *do* it for me. It's not unusual either -- I would assume Alkor, Natalya, Asheara etc., and indeed anyone who had personal contact with the hero of Diablo 2, would become common names. We like to do that, which is why I'm always amused at how 'unique' fantasy names try to be. Very, very few of us have unique names. Our parents were by and large not at their creative best after 9 or so months of ugh. Just take a look at the most popular baby names in any given year and you'll see most are deeply influenced by pop stars, royalty, sports stars, actors, etc.

So while I am totally down for generic names and renaming, there is an authenticity to the pets names being taken from former legends and historically significant characters that I simply dig.

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
Eh, the callbacks to D2 just *do* it for me. It's not unusual either -- I would assume Alkor, Natalya, Asheara etc., and indeed anyone who had personal contact with the hero of Diablo 2, would become common names. We like to do that, which is why I'm always amused at how 'unique' fantasy names try to be. Very, very few of us have unique names. Our parents were by and large not at their creative best after 9 or so months of ugh. Just take a look at the most popular baby names in any given year and you'll see most are deeply influenced by pop stars, royalty, sports stars, actors, etc.

So while I am totally down for generic names and renaming, there is an authenticity to the pets names being taken from former legends and historically significant characters that I simply dig.

i wrote a whole bunch but realized that ultimately we're in agreement so i deleted everything have a +1 instead
[Removed by Support]
Last edited by exsea on Jun 11, 2024, 2:09:22 AM
D4 Season 5 will get a new endgame activity called Infernal Hordes. It's wave based and a mix of Brotato & Sanctum league , maybe slighty Vampire survivors (because you can choose boons). Will have good monster density.

At the end of each run (5 waves where showcased) there will be a Boss Encounter (one of them are the D2 Fallen Council).

These encounters will have 8 difficulty tiers but not sure if the amount of waves will increase with it.

Also: Uniques & Uber uniques can now be target farmed in Helltides, Obol Vendors, Whispers caches. Hell tides shorter now but grant more Whisper Objectives, Boss Runs (Andariel, Duriel, etc) dont need Dungeon reset anymore, Dozens of new uniques and balance changes (Druid seems to get nerfed the most).
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Jun 21, 2024, 4:51:31 PM
Shorter helltides sounds great to me. At an hour they kinda drag.
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
i m slightly annoyed that tempering can still brick your stuff. i farmed a whole lotta time to get a triple GA weapon then it bricked. the devs seem happy with it.

but on the flipside they actually have made some considerations that i suggested on bnet forums.

sacrifice/sever getting a buff

and most importantly the new season is content that would go eternal. (need to reverify later) currently they announced its a new questline which will transfer over to eternal which is something they've not done this past 4 seasons. i m not sure if the iron wolves questline transfers over either

[Removed by Support]
I tend to agree with the dev team though that items should have an end point. If it bricks, you farm something similar. It adds to the min/max portion of the endgame. (*note they did allow items that have GA lines to get more rolls, because yeah those rare items bricking felt really bad)

With how Season 4 went, I'm glad the D4 Team realized how important it was to have a PTR, and a feedback period. It's one thing PoE doesn't do well at all. A league in PoE launches, typically not fully cooked, and needs a patch. This patch often comes too late to matter in a league.

In Season 4, the player stats WENT UP after the season launched. That's truly insane engagement, and organic word of mouth marketing.

Anyways the campfire chat was great. All good things on the way. Kudos to them for having meaningful communication with the community, being super transparent, and also humble with their intentions / philosophy and applying reasonable QoL. Having multiple campfire chats, dev blogs, PTR and related feedback forums; it's just easy to keep up on.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Last edited by DarthSki44 on Jun 22, 2024, 9:29:48 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
I tend to agree with the dev team though that items should have an end point. If it bricks, you farm something similar. It adds to the min/max portion of the endgame. (*note they did allow items that have GA lines to get more rolls, because yeah those rare items bricking felt really bad)

With how Season 4 went, I'm glad the D4 Team realized how important it was to have a PTR, and a feedback period. It's one thing PoE doesn't do well at all. A league in PoE launches, typically not fully cooked, and needs a patch. This patch often comes too late to matter in a league.

In Season 4, the player stats WENT UP after the season launched. That's truly insane engagement, and organic word of mouth marketing.

Anyways the campfire chat was great. All good things on the way. Kudos to them for having meaningful communication with the community, being super transparent, and also humble with their intentions / philosophy and applying reasonable QoL. Having multiple campfire chats, dev blogs, PTR and related feedback forums; it's just easy to keep up on.

i kinda miss how ggg used to be more careful with temp leagues and testing new stuff out. i also miss knowing that whatever gear i obtain in a league would definitely transfer over to standard rather than just poofing.

i actually love that d4 devs have all these campfire chats. i do hate that they were stubborn for 3 seasons. the community spoonfed them with 1001 suggestions but the devs were too stubborn. they didnt want to give us the horse early as they wanted us to enjoy the game assets environment more? pfft. if your game is good i would do that when i want to take a break but want to still be in game. sometimes i stare at the environment/3d models and not quit any game i m playing, just to take a break. forcing us to enjoy em like that was such poor taste.

i m really glad that d4 bad was strong enough that the numbers were low enough for them to throw their ego and start listening.

i m quite excited to see how the game grows. quite a departure from how i got to a point i wanted to actually sell off my entire blizz account for 20-30usd.
[Removed by Support]
Tempering is an acceptable risk v reward for me. We've had worse in the history of ARPGs. Far worse.

And before endgame, it's almost all reward.

__

From the season 5 PTR notes here:

Weapons

We’re now allowing more classes to use different weapon types. This includes updating innate affixes to be more useful across classes and adjusting their conditional requirements.

For instance, Sorcerers will now be able to use One-handed Swords and Maces.

This is kinda cool, but I hope they don't go full Diablo 3 and turn all weapons into stat sticks.

Also: we're going back to Hell, baby. Yeah. About time!

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jun 23, 2024, 10:49:50 PM
"
Tempering is an acceptable risk v reward for me. We've had worse in the history of ARPGs. Far worse.

And before endgame, it's almost all reward.

__

From the season 5 PTR notes here:

Weapons

We’re now allowing more classes to use different weapon types. This includes updating innate affixes to be more useful across classes and adjusting their conditional requirements.

For instance, Sorcerers will now be able to use One-handed Swords and Maces.

This is kinda cool, but I hope they don't go full Diablo 3 and turn all weapons into stat sticks.

Also: we're going back to Hell, baby. Yeah. About time!

the more weapons they allow the more valuable their mtx becomes as they get to be used by more classes, tho i dont see myself buying their mtx any time soon.

that said i love the option to use more weapons. a little sad that in poe2 skills are more weaponclasslocked than before. but if it make "melee good" then i ll swallow.

speaking of d4, i m kinda happy with the direction they're taking with seasons. the new questlines will transfer over to eternal at the end of the season. a little bit of love to eternal realmers. but personally i do appreciate it, rather than how they handled s1-3 where everything just got poofed.
[Removed by Support]
They're doing seasons-as-expansions right in that regard. PoE started it too late and everything just got slammed into a fairly small box. But they need to contextualise Varshan -- no one who missed the Malignant season is gonna have a clue who he is or why he's lurking under that quest-giving tree.

I suppose I don't mind weapons-as-stat sticks given the game doesn't really have 'weapon based moves' in terms of melee. We already have necros using two handed swords as ranged weapons. Oh well. There are other games out there if I want 'this is a sword, it's for cutting things, not channelling spells'. The gameplay is compelling enough I just don't care.

As for the mtx thing, yeah, fair play. Bit cynical but justified.

The only one I'd pay for would be dyes and even that'd have to have a significant effect on the look. And fairly cheap. For lack of lootable dyes a la Guild Wars, I have paid for palette options in other non f2ps...notably Guild Wars 2. OTOH that game's fashion meta was/is off the fucking charts...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info