Diablo 4 is the best DIABLO game but i've now lost interest in the franchise

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
ladish wrote:
My understanding of why they added tempering was to rid rare items that drop of extraneous mods but provide the means to roll those "secondary" affixes onto said items to fill out character needs like resistances, life regen, various proc effects etc. But then they put e.g. 300% added damage into the mix and it broke everything so greater affixes are completely overshadowed by ridiculously overpowered tempered mods which you may or may not get due to rng. Cue a huge outcry of rage over bricking god drop items.

I swear to god the D4 team could have hired someone from the D2 or even from the D3 team as a consultant and avoided two thirds of the issues with their game to date.

e: they had a lot of wins with this patch (even with the comments above the new loot system is still WAY better than before) I just get really triggered by devs walking into really predictable pitfalls. I've already started seeing the same old discussions on trading/rmt/ah etc etc in diablo 4 communities after they opened tradeora's box. You can look back 12 years ago in D3 forums and predict exactly what is going to happen and be discussed (or you could if they didn't delete them all lol).

with the tempering i think its fine, i just think people need to change how theyre viewing it.

if they didnt have tempering and the items had 5 mods people would drop an item with 3 good mods, 2 bad ones and say ok, its rng loot that item had 3 out of 5 mods its a mid to decent item.

but if you change it and say ok itll roll the first 3 mods on the drop and then u get way more agency in the process and get to heavily influence the last 2 mod rolls, suddenly its "omg they bricked my perfect item how dare there be rng here i need to be able to reroll these mods endlessly so that any 3 mod item is now a perfect item that just requires bashing the reroll button enough times, its an outrage!!!! how dare they!!!"

and i just feel like its a strictly better system with more player agency than dropping 5 mod items, but people who would have been ok with a 5 mod rng item drop system are now losing their shit and demanding more control even though the system is actually giving them way more control than they had before?

its one of those examples with arpg players where theres a vocal chunk of the community who cant just accept that they dont have the best items, and the more you do for them in terms of getting them closer and giving them more power to get them they dont get more happy, they just get even more upset and demand more and more and more.

this is what happened to D3 and it ended with the game basically not having an item system, its like every bit had 3 stats from a ridiculously tight mod pool and every time you leave town you come back with a full invent of legos 3 minutes later and now great, weve got a game that has a shelf life of days on season start. thats where it ends, every step you take in that direction the demands to go even further increase, if you start giving in to them its like the next demand is even more weighted than the last, you think oh ill bend on this people will be more happy, no, no they wont, they never are, you give in and give them more and they only get even more unhappy and have even bigger demands.

i think the way to look at it is that you dont have a perfect item till youve rolled the last 2 stats and masterworked it. a 3 mod item drop is a good start and easy to come by, way too easy to be a guarantee from that point in that everything else is always perfectible.

yeah it really depends on each person POV.

for me tempering is too important to be at vaal orbs level of bricking.

the game after all is a more casual game compared to POE and having a failure state like that is plain cruel. it reminds me of eastern mmos which i played when i was younger. upgrading can fail and poof your item.

but the reason why that existed in those games was because they created a problem to sell you a solution (p2w).

in poe vaal orbs are the very final step which feels VERY optional. you can get insanely bonkers implicits or you could just poof the item.

in d4, tempering is "forced". it happens very early in the crafting process where you cannot masterwork until you temper.

a weaker gear with a temper can be competitive or even better than gear with overall better stats but the wrong temper depending on magnitude.

there should be no reason to have this feelsbad moment forced upon casuals this way.

i know i know, its to introduce scarcity and encourages players to keep trying. still. feels bad.
[Removed by Support]
"
exsea wrote:

the game after all is a more casual game compared to POE and having a failure state like that is plain cruel.

but its an rng item system.

when items dropped with 5 mods before did you think it was cruel that items could drop with unwanted stats that made the item something you wouldnt use?

this system is less cruel than the previous item system because now u have a lot more control in influencing the stats. but youve gone from seeing the item system as normal to seeing it as cruel?

isnt it a feels bad every time you mouse over an item and it isnt perfect? why is having some control of the stats but they dont roll perfect cruel but having no control of the stats and they dont roll perfect not cruel? do you see what i mean? its not cruel when an item rolls its stats on drop and theyre the wrong ones but it is cruel when you can narrow it down to a smaller group and get 5 rerolls?

its so easy to just go get another base and go again. items roll with 3 stats and you can change one of them. do we really need an item system where getting 2 stats you want on an item = thats the final item for your build? thats gearing done, rolled 2 stats i needed?

its like run 2 helltides and ur char is fully geared?

id argue that the item system is still very casual and easy. gear is considerably less scare now than it was before.
Those pet names are KILLING me.

Who"s a good dog kitty?
https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
I just read a great review of D4 Season 4. It probably has some good tips that you didn't know. At least it had many for me.

https://requnix.com/diablo-4-review-s4
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
The recent update (after the DLC cinematic trailer, back to D2 act 3 kinda) that balanced the PIt a bit with some bugfixes introduced pets as a new ingame feature that collect materials and gold. Everyone gets a default one after a mini quest.

Tested the pet a bit in Overworld,Pits and NMDs.
Collect time is relatively slow and picking up yourself is faster unless you move very slow or stand still for a moment. If it's intended to work this way i think it's okay and it can imo pass as mainly cosmetic with a nuance of QOL.
Masterpiece of 3.16 lore
"A mysterious figure appears out of nowhere, trying to escape from something you can't see. She hands you a rusty-looking device called the Blood Crucible and urges you to implant it into your body."

Only usable with Ethanol Flasks
Last edited by gandhar0 on Jun 10, 2024, 6:20:53 PM
Had my first ever twinge of mtx fomo.

Fucking battle cat mount.

Well played Blizzard. Jesus.

*goes back to humping about on poor old Bill*

https://linktr.ee/wjameschan -- everything I've ever done worth talking about, and even that is debatable.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
"
exsea wrote:

the game after all is a more casual game compared to POE and having a failure state like that is plain cruel.

but its an rng item system.

when items dropped with 5 mods before did you think it was cruel that items could drop with unwanted stats that made the item something you wouldnt use?

this system is less cruel than the previous item system because now u have a lot more control in influencing the stats. but youve gone from seeing the item system as normal to seeing it as cruel?

isnt it a feels bad every time you mouse over an item and it isnt perfect? why is having some control of the stats but they dont roll perfect cruel but having no control of the stats and they dont roll perfect not cruel? do you see what i mean? its not cruel when an item rolls its stats on drop and theyre the wrong ones but it is cruel when you can narrow it down to a smaller group and get 5 rerolls?

its so easy to just go get another base and go again. items roll with 3 stats and you can change one of them. do we really need an item system where getting 2 stats you want on an item = thats the final item for your build? thats gearing done, rolled 2 stats i needed?

its like run 2 helltides and ur char is fully geared?

id argue that the item system is still very casual and easy. gear is considerably less scare now than it was before.

you know i agree with you partially. to some extent if we were to compare before and now, previously it was really bad.

i would point out that its all about "the feels". if you drop crappy items 100 times as a casual arpger you get used to it.

technically a failed tempered item is a crappy item. if it dropped that way players would feel a little frustrated but its not a feel bad moment because you dont feel "loss". it was a dud to begin with.

the problem with tempering is the same problem i have with heist. if you drop a mirror in heist it definitely feels good, but if you die and lose it the feeling is a huge magnitude worst than not dropping a mirror at all.

this feeling comes from "losing something precious".

when items drop and the GAs dont hit the right mods, you feel disappointed but you dont feel any loss. similarly if you hit low rolls you feel disappointed but you dont feel the loss.

getting a double or triple GA item then bricking it, players WILL feel the loss.

the feeling is different. its like getting a winning lottery ticket, going to the stage then getting the ticket torn apart in front of your eyes. it hurts even more than not getting a winning lottery ticket at all.

you jump and fall from ground level you might hurt yourself a little. but if you jump from the first or second floor, the damage done is greater.

technically in both cases you still hit the floor all the same but one is different from the other.

which is why i initially brought up the vaal orb comparison. we vaal what we can afford to lose or yolo vaal. tempering is a required step before masterworking. one way of thinking is if in poe corrupted items can still be modified but you need to use a vaal orb before you can use other currencies on the item. got a nice double influenced item that naturally dropped? awesome! vaal orb. poof.

feels bad.

vaal orbs in poe are fine because its at the very end of the crafting process AND is highly not necessary. many people dont use vaaled gear to begin with.
[Removed by Support]
"
Turtledove wrote:
I just read a great review of D4 Season 4. It probably has some good tips that you didn't know. At least it had many for me.

Very well smitten and formatted.

...yeah im leaving that one there.

Disagree with some of the end arguments but thats okay.

Acquisition > retention is the real takeaway.

__

Oh and I was wrong. You can make a teleport crackler. In my infinite dumbassery I missed quite portably the most crucial Aspect of the build. Astounding.

"
Had my first ever twinge of mtx fomo.

Fucking battle cat mount.

Well played Blizzard. Jesus.

*goes back to humping about on poor old Bill*

shits.... i m also very tempted to get that. just my wallets been hurting recently. maybe next month ahahahahah

god dammit.

i went from wanting to sell off my blizz account for cheap and never wanting to give blizz a cent to splurging a chunk of my salary to look pretty.
[Removed by Support]
"
Turtledove wrote:

holy moly thats a real good page for returning players.

"
gandhar0 wrote:
The recent update (after the DLC cinematic trailer, back to D2 act 3 kinda) that balanced the PIt a bit with some bugfixes introduced pets as a new ingame feature that collect materials and gold. Everyone gets a default one after a mini quest.

Tested the pet a bit in Overworld,Pits and NMDs.
Collect time is relatively slow and picking up yourself is faster unless you move very slow or stand still for a moment. If it's intended to work this way i think it's okay and it can imo pass as mainly cosmetic with a nuance of QOL.

i actually appreciate it a huge lot. if i m busy fighting in helltides, its still saves me the fomo and disengaging to pick stuff up. tbh i really do get distracted and i really feel the urge to pick the stuff up so having a pet to do that albeit less efficiently can help ease my FOMO OCD a little.

i know they did it to sell pets BUT they gave out a free one for everyone is a nice touch so its not entirely a paid advantage.

"
Those pet names are KILLING me.

Who"s a good dog kitty?

i actually would prefer if they just named everything generic and allowed us to name the pets ourselves.

[Removed by Support]

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info