Poor GGG, they just can't win can they?

"
archnem modifiers, which are mostly harmless, especially if they didn't get buffed

lost me there
"
Xyel wrote:

I'm personally reading rare monster mod replacement as a large nerf to rare monsters, because what made them often extremely deadly was a combination of modifiers and auras; while now they will have 2 - 4 archnem modifiers, which are mostly harmless, especially if they didn't get buffed.

while i don't think archnemesis modifiers were that harmless, there is still the option that multiple rares combine their powers.

in fact, that could be really fun :)
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
"
vio wrote:
"
Xyel wrote:

I'm personally reading rare monster mod replacement as a large nerf to rare monsters, because what made them often extremely deadly was a combination of modifiers and auras; while now they will have 2 - 4 archnem modifiers, which are mostly harmless, especially if they didn't get buffed.

while i don't think archnemesis modifiers were that harmless, there is still the option that multiple rares combine their powers.

in fact, that could be really fun :)

Fun, definitely. A ton of the AN mods are fun, especially in the right combination.

What made some AN mobs deadly was the way the modifiers progressively stacked - as far as I understood the system, the first-placed mod multiplied its effect with each summon, so gargantuan first, hasted second, + 2 mods kitava champion was a +280 % more life, +150 % increased speeds death incarnate that made the map boss look like a blue mob.

And Chris said this progressive scaling is removed.
Last edited by Xyel on May 6, 2022, 8:25:29 AM
"
Xyel wrote:

so, the sentinel presentation showing the char being ice caged and attacked by those lightning walker mobs were due to 2 rares? have to rewatch that.
"
vio wrote:
"
Xyel wrote:

so, the sentinel presentation showing the char being ice caged and attacked by those lightning walker mobs were due to 2 rares? have to rewatch that.

Not that they wouldn't combo, but that one modifier wouldn't stack its own effect multiple times. It's visible in the vid, how the mod spawns just a few lightning mirages and does so from itself, while 3 - 4x stacked stormstrider spawned an army of them straight under your character.

Ice prison + stormstrider was even a recipe in AN, and that's something I would call fun, but not really dangerous.
I'm excited for this league but I do suspect this will be another 'lesson learned' that Chris will be mentioning later this year.

I don't think the 'no changes' approach will be a boon to player retention. I only played 1 build last league and there's lots more for me to do but I expect this to be an overall shorter league than average.
"
Xyel wrote:

Ice prison + stormstrider was even a recipe in AN, and that's something I would call fun, but not really dangerous.

it just prevents some people from clearing a map in 3 minutes which they're furious about cause they don't have the outside and longterm view on the game.

but eventually, poe2 looms on the doorsteps and if it really contains the promised difficulty, people need to be prepared for it. which also means, we will lose some challenge averse players.

offtopic rant

i could say "good riddance" but on the same time i see the game sending clear indications of casualisation which might irritate folks.

consoles were initially designed for small kids who can't handle proper keyboards and mouse but were able to press some buttons. it's simplified input for those that can't remember keyboard keys but colors and couldn't aim with a mouse.

games like jump'n runs where you *bling* *bling* *bling* collect those coins were made for those limited gaming platforms, complex games were made solely for pc's.

porting down pc games to consoles and joystick input meant they were simplified and made more casual.

--

i will stop here with a question: how on mars can ggg even think about porting poe to phones where you can't see a thing?

is this some kind of "throwing the towel" like: we successfully buried pc players in effects that they don't ask what killed them, so it doesn't matter if we don't show the blur on those matchbox size screens and kill players?

tl;dr i can understand players that can't follow the contradictionary trends of poe getting more difficult but at the same time more casual.
How could they "win" this one? This is the lightest update I remember seeing in years. There's no new base game content (ramping up a boss fight isn't content), no new gems, no skill buffs to play with, it's the third very light league in a row when we were due for the next "big" league, and they couldn't even be bothered to do real supporter packs. This is how they plan to pull players back after Lost Ark tanked player numbers last league? This isn't a swing and a miss, they didn't even swing.
"
muzein wrote:
I'm excited for this league but I do suspect this will be another 'lesson learned' that Chris will be mentioning later this year.

I don't think the 'no changes' approach will be a boon to player retention. I only played 1 build last league and there's lots more for me to do but I expect this to be an overall shorter league than average.

This is something I've been pondering - for me personally, no balance changes aren't a big deal. On the one hand, it removes the pre-launch excitement of the league, but on the other hand, that doesn't matter much and I'm a 1-toon-per-league player, so even if I played the previous league for more than a week, I wouldn't really care.

But I can totally see how no balance changes feel like a kick in the balls for someone who played 4+ characters in the previous league, ran everything he fancied, and could really use something new to play with.
"
Astasia wrote:
How could they "win" this one? This is the lightest update I remember seeing in years. There's no new base game content (ramping up a boss fight isn't content), no new gems, no skill buffs to play with, it's the third very light league in a row when we were due for the next "big" league, and they couldn't even be bothered to do real supporter packs. This is how they plan to pull players back after Lost Ark tanked player numbers last league? This isn't a swing and a miss, they didn't even swing.

The thing that's going well for PoE in this that Lost Ark can be played in a maintenance mode with 30 - 60 minutes per day without really mising on any significant progression, so a ton of people, me included, will continue playing lost ark in that mode while going hard on the new league.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info