Tips for leveling to 100. (Beginners, Standard.)

A few tips by other players in this thread might be summarized into this list. I have 0/40 challenges done, just to give a fair warning to pros that is going to read my list.

1. It is always recommended to start in League as your characters will eventually be pushed into standard anyway. League have new game contents, active players and refreshed economy.

2. For Act 1 to Act 10, I recommend movement speed and damage. The campaign levels you up and gives you free skill points. The skill tree is like a big puzzle, play with it and find the best combination. The skill tree is your biggest asset if you have 0 exalted orbs in your pocket.

3. Completing Act 10 unlocks mapping in the Atlas of Worlds. During mapping, you will find masters' missions which spawns zones like Azurite Mine, Beastiary, Temple of Atzoatl, Immortal Syndicate and more. These are more fun and loot rewarding, but for beginners trying to level up, I recommend to go to the safer path, mapping without triggering the masters' missions.

3b. The safest master's mission I recommend is Azurite Mine/ Delving.

4. There are many map encounters that can be skipped until you are of a higher level. For example, Vaal side areas, Rare Strongboxes, Blights, Metamorphs. They automatically appears in your map with random chance. Some players actually buy scarabs to trigger these juicy encounters.
I am telling you to skip them because with greater rewards comes with greater risk, opening a rare strongbox can freeze you, allowing enemies to swarm over you, a rare strongbox can also explodes nearby corpses, one-shotting you.

4b. The safest map encounter I recommend is Breach.

5. Some game contents are mandatory. Challenge the labyrinth to ascend and get ascendancy points. Upgrade your Pantheon by capturing bosses with Divine Vessels.
I recommend increased life, life regeneration and movement speed for the labyrinth. The labyrinth is useful as it is the only place that can enchants your helmet, boots and gloves. (I skipped belt.)

6. POE have a wide range of end game bosses, please do not fight with them when you are leveling, they are obscenely strong, if you lose xp when you die, it is not worth it.
You can play masters' missions as well when you are not leveling.

7. The biggest fun factor of POE is finding the best set of equipments for your build. Searching for a specific equipment from thousands of loots on the ground is doable but not fun.
The fastest way to get your desired equipment is from POE trade. A premium stash tab is indispensable for POE trading. There is a stash tab sale once a month, be on the lookout for that.

8. There is a gargantuan amount of POE cash shop items, I will list my favourites so you could have a reference.
1st Premium stash tab
2nd Currency stash tab
3rd Map stash tab
4th Fragment stash tab
5th Supporter pack
6th Vanishing Dye, Invisible Buff Effect, Skin Transfer

8b. As you can see stashes are mostly the ones that is worth its price in real money not just because of its convenience but I personally find that the mtx skins does not look that good in game as compared to the youtube trailers. Supporter packs on the other hand, have good-looking mtx skins.

9. Your elemental resistance is capped at 75%.
A monster that deals 10k fire damage, damages you for 16k fire damage if you have -60% fire resistance.
A monster that deals 10k fire damage, damages you for 2.5k fire damage if you have 75% fire resistance.
Areas where you can increase your elemental resistance are your skill tree, your equipments, auras, endurance charges and flasks.

10. If the default loot filter is frustrating you, you can actually customize it with filter blade or other online loot filters.
There are trade macros that checks items prices for you without leaving the game client.

11. So, you reached level 100, what is the point? Remember, I told you to skip Masters' missions, rare strongboxes and endgame bosses? You can have fun with them now.
A common strategy in gaming is to overlevel, but sometimes this kills the original experience the developers intended you to have.

12. Get a personal wireless/wired internet if you keep getting disconnected randomly.
Get a better graphic card if your screen keeps freezing when swarm of enemies bamboozles you.
If you cannot afford either, you could try lowering the settings, including the resolution, shadows, texture, details and water etc.

13. When in the character screen, you need to actually click on the skill icon to see the real dps and modifiers. (By Thror2k5)

14. On Level 90-100, I actually recommend increased life, increased energy shield, evasion, armour, spell supression and other defensive measures over damage. One death in these levels is lost of about 30 maps of exp. But of course, make sure you can still one hit kill most mobs.

15. If you do not want to google and ask questions on POE forum to understand the mechanics of POE, you can simply swap builds in game, experiment and find out what works and what doesn't.

16. I personally do not recommend you to create a new class if your current build does not works, you are most likely doing something wrong. Your ascendancy class affects your build only partially, it is totally possible to make a top tier character for mapping.

For end game bosses, choosing the correct ascendancy class to match your attack skill is very helpful of about 20% more damage, because end game bosses are mostly about dps check.
For labyrinth enchanting and selling for profit, I think Pathfinder is fast moving but there is a new feature, Gift to the Goddess which I do not have much experience with.
You might be laughing at me for saying all ascendancy classes are viable, because there is a Guardian class whose ascendancy skills only benefits allies, please note that minions are allies as well.

This will touch on equipments, so spoiler alert.
Spoiler

Note that you must complete Act 10 at around level 70 to access mapping to do currency farming, so you can skip level 20-70 equipments if this is your first character.

Level 1-20 Tabula Rasa, 0 Exalted orb build, 0 hour currency farming.
Level 20-40 Astramentis, 1 Exalted orb build, 1 hr.
Level 40-60 Watcher's Eye, 3 Exalted orb build, 3 hrs.
Level 60-70 Hands of the High Templar, 7 Exalted orb build, 7 hrs.
Level 70-80 High DPS weapon, 13 Exalted orb build, 13 hrs.
Level 80-90 Awakened support gems, 21 Exalted orb build, 21 hrs
Level 90-100 Buying rare equipments are cheaper than crafting, 31 ex build, 31 hrs.

The exalted orbs have been listed so that you can estimate when you should be farming for currency and when you should be leveling instead.
On 3.17, each map boss gives you an estimated 200 chaos after 28 maps, meaning you get 7 chaos per map boss. If you clear a map in 4 minutes, it takes 57 minutes to get an exalted orb.

But if you choose to level instead, you can skip map bosses since they can kill one hit kill beginners, these attacks are actually choreographed and can be dodged manually, but there are 158 base maps to learn from and memorize, so it is wiser to avoid them and level up first, if you get maximum health after leveling up, you can directly face tank them which in my honest opinion is much more fun.

Trimmed down tips by players with 40/40 challenges done:

"
Ankparp wrote:
17. You could just do mapping t16 normally (chisel, alche, vaal) grab all passive tree with map tier higher, 8 favorite map with same map, build map pool (you should oversustain this). And once you have 1 quad stash of favorite map just scour all and run the map white.

18. Just do heist. Item level 83, don't roll anything (run white, scour everything)
buy bulk from TFT. It sustainable (currency dropped can be used to buy more contract).

"
gageris wrote:
19. I was running abysses for their insane exp (with 200%+ more mobs and 4 additional abysses).

"
TommyBoy1987 wrote:
20. lvl 1-60: The campaign
lvl 60-70: Blood Aqueduct

21. Party Mapping Time
lvl 70-80: White & Yellow Maps (normal breachstone ROTAs if you can afford it)
lvl 80-90: Red Maps (Corrupt if you can handle it, separate into safe and unsafe piles if corrupting. Only grab from unsafe pile after a lvl up)
lvl 90+: Juiced corrupted Red Maps for first 25-50%xp, then switch to something safer and be careful with mods

22. Global 820 Time
lvl 90-93: Harbinger Beachhead ROTAs
lvl 93-96: Coward's Trial ROTAs
lvl 96-98: Coward's Trial ROTAs and/or Pure Chayula Breachstone ROTAs
lvl 98-100: Pure Chayula Breachstone ROTAs and/or 5way legions

"
BrettLee wrote:
27. Its pretty easy to hit 100 solo this league with how much juice you can pump into maps at low cost. Beyond on map + atlas passive tree + map device and abyss gives you tons of XP. To make the most of it, you probably want explode and any HH/inspired learnings do well here too.

As for 5-ways, if you are a bit short, you can join as resetter for 1ex/5 runs and actually make profit by leveling gems.
Last edited by mina97 on Apr 16, 2022, 10:26:01 AM
Last bumped on Apr 6, 2022, 9:57:29 PM
I honestly cannot tell if serious.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
1. Don't.
Bird lover of Wraeclast
Las estrellas te iluminan - Hoy te sirven de guía
Te sientes tan fuerte que piensas - que nadie te puede tocar
lvl 1-60: The campaign
lvl 60-70: Blood Aqueduct

Party Mapping Time
lvl 70-80: White & Yellow Maps (normal breachstone ROTAs if you can afford it)
lvl 80-90: Red Maps (Corrupt if you can handle it, separate into safe and unsafe piles if corrupting. Only grab from unsafe pile after a lvl up)
lvl 90+: Juiced corrupted Red Maps for first 25-50%xp, then switch to something safer and be careful with mods

Global 820 Time
lvl 90-93: Harbinger Beachhead ROTAs
lvl 93-96: Coward's Trial ROTAs
lvl 96-98: Coward's Trial ROTAs and/or Pure Chayula Breachstone ROTAs
lvl 98-100: Pure Chayula Breachstone ROTAs and/or 5way legions

(No attack/no loot parties in Global 820. I never do this because I find it boring and it just doesn't sit right with me. I prefer to run mapping groups with players of a similar level, that is, everyone attacks and everyone loots on permanent allocation and we all have fun and make friends).

You should between 2 modes to do it the most effectively: XP grinding mode and currency grinding mode. XP grinding mode is being careful while running the corrupted maps that landed with decent mods so you don't die, and doing ROTAs in Global 820 when you start to get nervous. After you level up, it's time to start running the maps you saved with the harder mods, delirium orbs, simulacrums, killing bosses, maven invitations etc. Things that can get you killed but will also net you more currency. That currency is then used for purchasing things like Coward's Trial, Beachheads, and Chayula's Pure Breachstones when it's time to begin pushing XP again. I would budget ~20-30ex if you want the easy ride to 100, but it can be done for 'free' if you're super careful and patient and can run juiced T16s consistently without dying. lvl 98+ needs to be thought of as a 'soft' hardcore mode where you're basically not allowed to die anymore.
^ this is a really quality like quick list for how to do it but honestly I think the don't camp is more appropriate for a vast majority of players.

Still a great summary gonna save it to send to my friends when they ask lol thanks
Last edited by Draegnarrr on Mar 27, 2022, 5:49:57 PM
Should also point out that there's really really really no reason to ever try to get to 100.
"
Shagsbeard wrote:
Should also point out that there's really really really no reason to ever try to get to 100.

Why did you want to climb Mount Everest?

"Because it's there."
-George Mallory
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

There are reasons, but most barely warrant the time it takes of course. My reason is because it's a an easy(ish) +1 in the Endgame Grinds.
Last edited by Nubatron on Mar 27, 2022, 6:37:22 PM
"
Nubatron wrote:
"
Shagsbeard wrote:

There are reasons, but most barely warrant the time it takes of course. My reason is because it's a an easy(ish) +1 in the Endgame Grinds.

This is the main reason I did it this league, and jokes about Mt. Everest aside, the reason it's worth it is that each level gained represents a permanent buff to your character. Can you do 40/40 challenges while staying parked at lvl 95? Of course, but 5 additional skill points will make life a lot easier since that's the equivalent of 4 passive points plus a mastery. This can make or break you when it comes to fine tuning and minmaxxing, especially with regards to cluster jewels, which for a modest investment will make things far more efficient in the long run since you'll ultimately be dying less/dealing more damage 'forever'.

I think it's worth it to prioritize hitting max lvl ASAP, relating to what was mentioned about XP farming mode vs currency farming mode. When you're max lvl you're on permanent currency farming mode and that's a pretty big weight off the shoulders. There's a mental state of relief that comes with it that is absolutely worth it in my opinion. Breachstones are also cheap if you can do the push early on, since most players will sell them which creates an abundance. They were ~90-100c early on in Archnemesis League, which is a very reasonable price for the kind of XP you're getting. Not to mention, you get lots of good map drops and scarab drop if you host.
how many 5 ways would it take to get to 100 from 97?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info